Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis after the first year.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
On 2nd thoughts, the size & weight of the Hyundai Genesis G80 is about right.
It is the current aging 4GS that's become a bit small relative to its new model competitors.
For the North American market, the G80 is a good size. But for worldwide markets, the 4GS is the better size. You agree?
Old 06-17-17, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

another good fb ad...

Old 06-17-17, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought I would highlight that the complimentary maintenance for Genesis in the USA is 3/36 while Canada gets 5/60. I would be curious as to why there is a difference.

First retail location in Canada.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...625330084.html

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-17-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-17-17, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I thought I would highlight that the complimentary maintenance for Genesis in the USA is 3/36 while Canada gets 5/60. I would be curious as to why there is a difference.
My guess is that it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. In Canada, Hyundai's drivetrain warranty is only 5/100 vs. the 10/100 in the U.S.....so, perhaps (?) they make up for that deficiency by providing a longer period of free maintenance in Canada.
Old 06-17-17, 01:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

For the North American market, the G80 is a good size. But for worldwide markets, the 4GS is the better size. You agree?
Yes, I'm really only after a wheelbase stretch in the GS.
Because GS is on an aging 112.2" wheelbase since 2005.
Meanwhile new 2016-23 E Class has moved to 115.7".
New 2017-24 5 Series now 117.1".
2014-19 Genesis G80 on a whopping 118.5", which even the Tesla Model S cannot beat at only 116.5".
Wheelbase-wise, the GS is looking a little long in the tooth.

In reality, despite stretching the wheelbase, NONE of these midsize cars comes close to matching the cabin length and legroom of a full size sedan.
The increase in wheelbase has more to do with providing a smoother and flatter ride, and achieving near 50/50 weight distribution - than actually lengthening the cabin.
A lot of these inexperienced journalists think that the increase in wheelbase automatically increases cabin length and legroom...
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-17-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 01:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The Lexus LS500 absolutely blows away the G90, if you're going with the G90 it's not because it's better, it's because you don't want to spend 90k. At that point you are not the same buyer as a Lexus buyer, and Lexus has nothing to worry about.

Tesla Model 3 Ramp Up Aims to Crush BMW and Mercedes

Tesla Model 3 Expected To Outsell BMW 3 Series And Mercedes C Class – Combined

If Tesla Model 3 hits production targets it will outsell BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class within one year

Next BMW 3-Series to include all-electric Tesla Model 3 rival: report

Tesla is what keeps the Germans awake at night. Genesis is an also ran.

LS is closing in on its 10th year at the heel of a new model. The LS500 will destroy G90 sales. Heck Lexus outsold the G90 with the 90k+ LC500 coupe in may, let alone the sedan.

G90 will hit 200 units/mo in its second year, mark it.

But Lexus screwed up a bit too, the LS should have an all electric variant to go after the Model S, that's the future.
LS has not been driven yet so it is a little early to say it blows away the G90, to some the new LS looks like a stretched Nissan, the interior is very bland and likely annoying to use because it requires a touchscreen/mouse for most functions, and the 6 cylinder powerplant turns them off. The G90 to me has a nicer looking interior, does not look like a stretched Altima or Maxima, and has a smooth V8 for 70K.

Tesla does not keep the Germans up at night, their stock is in trouble and their vehicles are not turning out to be very reliable or getting the claimed range especially in cold weather.

The LS does not need a all electric variant and they were smart not to waste money on one, nobody is buying hybrid or electric luxury cars outside of some pockets in California that buy the Tesla in droves for their "green" message to the world that they think they are saving the environment,(which they aren't). Electrics are not the future, there is nowhere close to the enough charging stations and our power grids would not be able to handle millions of people charging cars up every day. Who would want to own a full size luxury sedan that you can't even take on long trips in, range limited electric vehicles are silly and pointless unless you live in the city with enough charging structure and just want a little back and forth commuter.
Old 06-17-17, 01:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure I agree that the next generation LS500 is the complete benchmark. Genesis should just try to make their own identity, for the most part it looks as if they are as Lexus moves away from what it once was. I think a $90K price point is a bit to high for them. I certainly view the Genesis brand somewhere between Lincoln, Cadillac and Lexus, but they are closer to Lincoln IMO than they are Lexus.
In some ways Genesis may even surpass Lexus, Genesis lineup is 6 and 8 only and RWD only, bulk of Lexus sedan sales are from a fwd Toyota based car, the base engine in the Lexus GS is now just a 4cyl where the base engine in the G80 is a 6 cylinder, G90 has a 8 cylinder, new LS will not debut with a 8 cylinder but a 6 cylinder. I think Genesis is pretty close to Lexus or at least where Lexus was, I don't think Lexus new strategy of over styled grills, charging more and more and downsizing engines is where many Lexus fans wanted to see them going which is why Genesis is picking up previous Lexus buyers in the largest numbers compared to other luxury brands.
Old 06-17-17, 01:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

The LS does not need a all electric variant and they were smart not to waste money on one, nobody is buying hybrid or electric luxury cars outside of some pockets in California that buy the Tesla in droves for their "green" message to the world that they think they are saving the environment,(which they aren't). Electrics are not the future, there is nowhere close to the enough charging stations and our power grids would not be able to handle millions of people charging cars up every day. Who would want to own a full size luxury sedan that you can't even take on long trips in, range limited electric vehicles are silly and pointless unless you live in the city with enough charging structure and just want a little back and forth commuter.
i don't think the majority of tesla owners think they are saving the environment, but i do think that they are sending a message that their way is one of the right ways to go in order to do so. global warming is not a hoax nor a conspiracy contrary to donald trump's viewpoints.

anyhow, i hope to see the advancement of electrics in which there is both reduced range anxiety and better infrastructure in place.
Old 06-17-17, 03:52 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS has not been driven yet so it is a little early to say it blows away the G90, to some the new LS looks like a stretched Nissan, the interior is very bland and likely annoying to use because it requires a touchscreen/mouse for most functions, and the 6 cylinder powerplant turns them off. The G90 to me has a nicer looking interior, does not look like a stretched Altima or Maxima, and has a smooth V8 for 70K.
How does the G90 have a nicer looking interior? It has a pseudo German copy cat interior from 5 years ago. There is nothing impressive or original about the G90 interior, even the LS460 has a nicer interior, let alone the LS500.

Same story on the exterior. The G90 looks like its from a car insurance commercial, completely nondescript zero identity generic styling. Chrysler 300 shape, Audi grill, S-class tail, winged badge. It's got it all. There is no styling in this car.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-17-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I have a current LS460, the interior of the G90 has nicer materials and is overall a step above. Styling is subjective, I agree the LS460s interior is styled better, but the G90 is higher quality. Real leather on the dash and door panels, leather is much better, etc etc. LS460 has synthetic leather on the dash and doors unless you get the 600hL. The 460 is significantly behind the segment in interior material quality.

It's personal opinion, I think the LS500 is a little too over the top, less so inside than outside but the traditional interior of the G90 or the 7 or the S Class appeals to me more.

Lots of buyers in this class are pretty traditional people, the new LS is a pretty big departure.
Old 06-17-17, 08:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i don't think the majority of tesla owners think they are saving the environment, but i do think that they are sending a message that their way is one of the right ways to go in order to do so. global warming is not a hoax nor a conspiracy contrary to donald trump's viewpoints.

anyhow, i hope to see the advancement of electrics in which there is both reduced range anxiety and better infrastructure in place.
Owning a Tesla does not make a ounce of difference when it comes to "global warming", the real hoax is people being sold on and thinking owning and driving a hybrid or electric vehicle is somehow going to stop or make a difference in global warming and save the environment, it is more damaging to the environment to make these vehicles and charge them in mass then modern IC engined cars. Buy and use a bicycle if you really want to lessen your impact, don't use electricity or plastic products either.
Old 06-17-17, 08:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
How does the G90 have a nicer looking interior? It has a pseudo German copy cat interior from 5 years ago. There is nothing impressive or original about the G90 interior, even the LS460 has a nicer interior, let alone the LS500.

Same story on the exterior. The G90 looks like its from a car insurance commercial, completely nondescript zero identity generic styling. Chrysler 300 shape, Audi grill, S-class tail, winged badge. It's got it all. There is no styling in this car.
I like the design of the G90 interior more then the LS460 or LS500. Metal buttons look nice, everything looks very nice. I don't see how it has copied the Germans. What German interior has it copied? Exterior wise it is nothing special, I agree but it has a nice large luxury sedan look, I think it looks better then the LS500 and LS460 in most cases, LS500 looks like a stretched Altima/Maxima to me, maybe I will like it better in person, interior of the LC500 does not impress me either, seems very plain.
Old 06-17-17, 08:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I like the design of the G90 interior more then the LS460 or LS500. Metal buttons look nice, everything looks very nice. I don't see how it has copied the Germans. What German interior has it copied? Exterior wise it is nothing special, I agree but it has a nice large luxury sedan look, I think it looks better then the LS500 and LS460 in most cases, LS500 looks like a stretched Altima/Maxima to me, maybe I will like it better in person, interior of the LC500 does not impress me either, seems very plain.
I will agree that the G90 is not bad looking, but it's not really stylish or trend setting in any way. LS460 is not bad looking after the resfrsh, but it's not exactly stylish or trend setting either. Would like to see the LS500 in person before I dismiss it. The LC looks spectacular in person compared to the photos. As for interiors, LS460 has a better and more interesting design than Genesis G90. The LS460 actually has some style to its interior.
Old 06-18-17, 02:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The important point about Genesis is that it is good, but not God.
Genesis is good, but not great.
God is great.

The original 1LS of 1990 was great debuting over 42,000 units in the USA, and even the aging current generation 4LS is almost as great debuting over 35,000 units - however the forthcoming 5LS is merely good if my educated guesses are any good at all...
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-18-17 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 06:40 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

For me, the biggest let down of the 2013-17 LS hasn't been the interior necessarily (it has always been above average, if not excellent) but rather some features I really care about that are readily available in Toyota's "regular" vehicles such as lane departure, adaptive cruise. I mean if a $22k Prius has it, hard to believe why a $75k LS won't..... I know it's available but rare to find, and glad to see the LS500 (at least via interior pics) has it.
Comparing it to the G80 and G90, they have these safety features as standard as well which is just one less thing to nickel & dime luxury sedan buyers with.
My only concern with the G80/G90 remains the long-term reliability....I'm not doubting them necessarily as Kia/Hyundai has made big strides with mechanical reliability over the past decade though.

Quick Reply: Genesis after the first year.