Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis after the first year.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just saying Genesis is going to need at least two more solid hit products ASAP. The market is crazy for SUV's, if they're as good as their sedans, they will be well on their way to success. I don't think Genesis will be the lighting strike that Lexus was in the early 90's, as things are much more competitive now days(Audi, Jaguar, Lincoln, and Cadillac in the early 90's were kind of a bad joke compared to what they are building now days)
I agree. Genesis needs a $50K cross over that can get buyers of the Lexus RX, Cadilac SRX, and Acura MDX to look at them.
I also think that the Hyundai brand will weigh Genesis down a little bit. Once people find out that Genesis is essentially a Hy-und Hyundai, it will turn some off.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-13-17 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You don't think people buying them at Hyundai dealers realize they're associated with Hyundai? They're not hiding it, nothing for people to "find out"
Old 06-13-17, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You don't think people buying them at Hyundai dealers realize they're associated with Hyundai? They're not hiding it, nothing for people to "find out"
Hyundai itself isn't doing badly, though. Some folks at the bigger Hyundai shops (like the one in Chantilly) are bound to notice the G80s and G90s there (management, wisely IMO, keeps most of them, at that shop, parked at or near the showroom front door, where they are likely to be noticed). Then, those with fairly well-heeled bank accounts (or who don't mind going into debt LOL), might decide that the extra bling and comfort on the G80 and G90 are worth it. I suspect that that is what is (more or less) also keeping Lincoln sales going...when the first Continentals and revised/face-lifted MKZ started coming in, they did more or less the same thing at the big Ford/Lincoln shop right across street from the Hyundai/Genesis place...parked them near the big side entrance, where people driving into the dealership were likely to notice as they turned off the main circle-drive. At the Ford shop, unlike the Hyundai shop, the side-entrance is more noticeable than the main one when you turn in off the road.
Old 06-13-17, 08:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Genesis needs a $50K cross over that can get buyers of the Lexus RX, Cadilac SRX, and Acura MDX to look at them.
i think the lexus rx is extremely vulnerable right now. i keep seeing a white new one on the road and i still can't believe how bad it looks, like frankenstein meets mad max bad. if hyundai/genesis can build a luxurious sorrento or santa fe it could be a serious threat to luxury ute players.
Old 06-13-17, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if hyundai/genesis can build a luxurious sorrento or santa fe it could be a serious threat to luxury ute players.
I'd bet the monthly rent they've got somebody working on it right now....though whether there are actually enough funds to complete the project and get it into production remain to be seen.

Except for the awkward school-bus steering-feel (which, at the time, was almost the complete opposite of BMW's excellent steering), I liked the Hyundai Veracruz, and still think it wouldn't be a bad basic platform, though others have expressed the opinion that it is too dated. I don't entirely agree with that, but yes, I can see where they do have a point in at least some areas.
Old 06-13-17, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Veracruz?
Old 06-13-17, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Veracruz?
Yes, at the time, it was Hyundai's largest American-market SUV. I did a full-review on one, found it very well-built, and otherwise thought highly of it, though the crappy steering-feel was like driving a school bus. I still think that, with some modern updates (and definitely a new steering system LOL), it could have served as a base Genesis SUV. Others, though, disagreed, and felt it was too dated.....and I certainly respect their views.

Old 06-13-17, 09:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree. Genesis needs a $50K cross over that can get buyers of the Lexus RX, Cadilac SRX, and Acura MDX to look at them.
I also think that the Hyundai brand will weigh Genesis down a little bit. Once people find out that Genesis is essentially a Hy-und Hyundai, it will turn some off.
People were saying the same thing about Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti, they are just fancy Honda's, Toyota's, and Nissans. Has not hurt their brands too much. Some even say Audi's are just fancy VW's. Lexus and Acura CUV's routinely outsell their German luxury counterparts. I think Genesis is off to a impressive start, G80 and G90 are selling well, better then many competitors, I think if they upgrade the G80 interior to be more like the G90 it will stay a solid 3rd place seller and give Lexus a lot of headaches. A 3 series competitor and a coupe or sports car will really put them on the map.

Last edited by UDel; 06-13-17 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 10:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
People were saying the same thing about Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti, they are just fancy Honda's, Toyota's, and Nissans. Has not hurt their brands too much. Some even say Audi's are just fancy VW's. Lexus and Acura CUV's routinely outsell their German luxury counterparts. I think Genesis is off to a impressive start, G80 and G90 are selling well, better then many competitors, I think if they upgrade the G80 interior to be more like the G90 it will stay a solid 3rd place seller and give Lexus a lot of headaches. A 3 series competitor and a coupe or sports car will really put them on the map.
I see what you are saying, however the Toyota brand and Honda brand were very high in brand equity at the time. Unless you were old enough to buy cars in the late 70s and 80s, I don't expect one to understand. The value of Toyota or Honda spilled over into Lexus and Honda. Currently Honda and Toyota are far above in brand equity compared to a Hyundai. (note I never mentioned an individual vehicle). So this is where Genesis is going to struggle. I haven't looked, but I am willing to bet each Hyundai in each segment is selling for at least $2000k less than a comparable Toyota or Honda.
Old 06-13-17, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the lexus rx is extremely vulnerable right now. i keep seeing a white new one on the road and i still can't believe how bad it looks, like frankenstein meets mad max bad. if hyundai/genesis can build a luxurious sorrento or santa fe it could be a serious threat to luxury ute players.
For me, the RX is growing on me. I kinda like it now. I bet my past posts bashed it quite a bit. I think it selling well also with the NX. But absolutely, the RX price point is where the Genesis SUV needs to be.
Old 06-13-17, 10:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I see what you are saying, however the Toyota brand and Honda brand were very high in brand equity at the time. Unless you were old enough to buy cars in the late 70s and 80s, I don't expect one to understand. The value of Toyota or Honda spilled over into Lexus and Honda. Currently Honda and Toyota are far above in brand equity compared to a Hyundai. (note I never mentioned an individual vehicle). So this is where Genesis is going to struggle. I haven't looked, but I am willing to bet each Hyundai in each segment is selling for at least $2000k less than a comparable Toyota or Honda.
That is true but those brands were still not known for luxury or expensive cars. Many predicted the Japanese could not sell a car priced as high as the Acura Legend when it was going to come out, only the Americans and Europeans can do that. Hyundai has made a lot of strides in the past 10 years, and especially 5 years to be seen on equal footing or extremely close with the Japanese when it came to family sedans and CUV's. If Hyundai did a luxury brand in the 90's or early 2000's I would agree that their image was not good and nowhere close to the same as Toyota or Honda when they came out with Acura and Lexus but it is different now, putting out the Genesis and Equus first as Hyundai's helped slow walk those types of sedans to the public to get ready for the new luxury brand and I think it worked pretty well for them.
Old 06-13-17, 10:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Side story -

I remember when the original LS400 came out. My grandpa was over and he said that he watched a show discussing Lexus and the LS. He said to me "did you know that thing has a Toyota engine? Who would buy a $35k Toyota?"

LOL...even Toyota/Lexus had (and still does, to an extent) an uphill battle.
Old 06-13-17, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Side story -

I remember when the original LS400 came out. My grandpa was over and he said that he watched a show discussing Lexus and the LS. He said to me "did you know that thing has a Toyota engine? Who would buy a $35k Toyota?"
35K today buys you a nice Camry.
Old 06-13-17, 10:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
35K today buys you a nice Camry.
Yup. But at the time, my parents bought a new 1989 Camry and it was $16k, nicely equipped. They got it for $13k because my dad worked for the Toyota dealer.
Old 06-13-17, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know what the Veracruz was, it was just a crappy outdated vehicle and they can do way better as a platform for a Genesis SUV than reviving an old platform that's been discontinued for several years

Quick Reply: Genesis after the first year.