Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking back, your favorite "personal luxury" coupes . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 04:09 AM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
1984 Mazda 929/Cosmo styled by Bertone of Italy outside & inside with brushed aluminium dash, 2.0 squared bore x stroke and electronic fuel injection, 4 speed auto with lock up torque converter, and automatic electronic variable valve shock absorbers...
One does not simply mention the Eunos/Cosmo without showing the JC.

A real Unicorn. I have been lucky enough to sit in a triple rotor version, never driven one, and tried for years to buy one. I would have it over an RX7 if i had the choice.
Old 06-13-17, 12:00 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Admittedly TOTALLY prejudice....

The SC300 .....

When purchased and now.....
I own a 1992 SC300/5 speed, love that car. Its one of those few "modern" cars(aka cars that had to comply safety/government standards) that I consider truly beautiful. Granted the stock 15" wheels on the SC300 sucked(I think the 15" wheel/small brakes thing on the base cars was an accounting decision), but other than that, it is one of those cars I can stare at for hours, you can tell the designers really fussed over every single little detail on this car.

Another one of my favorites is the Lincoln Mark V, just love the severe angles and wild colors they came in. That oval "opera window" was just too pimp. The two tone color combos were where it was at though, like this 1979 Bill Blass edition.

Note the white leather with blue accent piping/blue dashboard/blue carpet

Old 06-13-17, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I own a 1992 SC300/5 speed, love that car. Its one of those few "modern" cars(aka cars that had to comply safety/government standards) that I consider truly beautiful. Granted the stock 15" wheels on the SC300 sucked(I think the 15" wheel/small brakes thing on the base cars was an accounting decision), but other than that, it is one of those cars I can stare at for hours, you can tell the designers really fussed over every single little detail on this car.
On the 15" wheels, you also have to remember that, back then, Lexus was not as obsessed with sport-orientation as it is today. The 15" wheels gave reasonably good handling (though not as sharp as today's), along with good ride comfort. I wish cars in that class still had them today.

Another one of my favorites is the Lincoln Mark V, just love the severe angles and wild colors they came in. That oval "opera window" was just too pimp. The two tone color combos were where it was at though, like this 1979 Bill Blass edition.
Again, back then, opera windows in the C-pillars were not considered "Pimp". In the mid-late 70s, they were generally the styling rage...although Volvo, if you remember, with their traditional emphasis on safety, made a big deal in the ads of the period about not using opera windows because of their poor visibility.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-17 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 09:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG87

A real Unicorn. I have been lucky enough to sit in a triple rotor version, never driven one, and tried for years to buy one. I would have it over an RX7 if i had the choice.
Have to agree, I love that car, never seen one. Some have been imported to the states, I even saw online one was in my city/state but never saw it.

My favorite luxury coupes are

Buick Riviera, that is a great looking design, I liked the last gen too in the 90's.
Lincoln Mark 7 coupe from the 80's and 90's.
Mercedes CL
BMW 8 series
Acura Legend Coupe
Maserati 4200GT, GranTurismo
Aston Martin DB9 and Vanguish, Virage, and V8 Vantage from "Living Daylights"
Jaguar XK8
Bentley Continental GT coupe

Last edited by UDel; 06-13-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-14-17, 12:23 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

There are so many cars to choose from. My absolute favorites are the original Lexus SC/Toyota Soarer and the 8 Series BMW

Other cars that I love include:
-90's to late 2000's Mercedes S Class coupe
-BMW 6 Series
-Lexus LC500 (I've driven one and it truly is incredible)
-Bentley Continental
-Lincoln Mark VIII
-Cadillac Eldorado
-Cadillac XLR, Lexus SC430, and Mercedes R230 SL600 (if they count)
-Acura Legend coupe
-That really cool looking Cosmos that was posted
-Rolls Royce Wraith
-Lexus
Old 06-14-17, 12:31 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the second generation acura legend coupe was a peach. i love both the sedan and the coupe of that generation legend. if only i could find one in near-perfect condition around me for a reasonable price.
Old 06-14-17, 12:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by davyjordi

the second generation acura legend coupe was a peach. i love both the sedan and the coupe of that generation legend. if only i could find one in near-perfect condition around me for a reasonable price.
That was my favorite Acura outside of the NSX. It was truly a great car in both sedan and coupe form. They are so rare around here that I see more NSX's on the road than Acura Legend coupes.
Old 06-14-17, 12:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by MJG87

I need this car!!!!

I have no idea how I can get one of these in America but I will find one someday.
Old 06-14-17, 01:18 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
That was my favorite Acura outside of the NSX. It was truly a great car in both sedan and coupe form. They are so rare around here that I see more NSX's on the road than Acura Legend coupes.
indeed! they're a rare sight to see.
Old 06-14-17, 02:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

indeed! they're a rare sight to see.
They sure are. I've only seen a few coupes and sedans in the past few years.
Old 06-14-17, 04:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

In those days, S Class Coupe was great too:

Loved the Porsche 928S; the styling was well ahead of its time, with a sweeping central console, and air vents integrated into the side arm rests...

Two absolute winners, right there. That iteration of the MB big coupe is timeless, and the 928 still makes me look twice, even today.
Old 06-14-17, 05:10 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I need this car!!!!

I have no idea how I can get one of these in America but I will find one someday.
Good luck. Australia has a few and even then they are mostly the smaller engine version. New Zealand has a lot more, maybe look there? Haha.
Old 06-14-17, 06:59 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, this, along with the original SC300/400 and my Dad's '73 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Luxury Package (silver exterior, landau top and leather interior).

And I have a new one to add after riding in my boss's new S-Class convertible. The looks of the car, the leather across the dash, the lined wood... I was speechless. I must have been giggling like a little girl. He makes too much money.
Old 06-14-17, 08:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as more "modern" classics, I do love the Porsche 928. The styling is fantastic IMO, big V8(better HP with euro spec versions), big V8 sound, very nice interior, decent ride, it has that size, that width, that length about it that make it a great luxury car, but not a total boat in the corners like American cars of that period. My best friend's dad had an old Silver/grey Porsche 928, brown leather, automatic. Best memory of it was riding in the back seat, even at age 9/10ish, it was a very tight and claustrophobic fit, I had one of those play it cool, minor panic attacks in the back of that car, you know the type where you freak out internally, but are as cool as a cucumber externally. Anyways, that car looked almost like that Scarface Porsche 928, except it was a few model years newer, different wheels,, but same damn color combo . . .

For that late 1970's through mid 1980's, I think the 928 was a better car than the at that time ancient 911. Of course I think I changed my mind with the introduction of the "964" 1989 911. It was everything that was right with the old 911, but in a more modern package.

Also I love the early 90's Acura Legend. Combined with the 90's Integra, Acura was really ahead of the game in the early/mid 90's. It seemed like every car that replaced the Legend was a rounded, following that damn 1996 Ford Taurus wannabee in terms of styling. Even the Acura RSX, I love that car as well, styling was on point, but the quality was a definite step down from the Integra IMO.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-14-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 12:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If ever there was an ad campaign that stood out, the June, 1923 issue of the Saturday Evening Post totally changed the way we think about automotive advertising. Headlined "Somewhere West of Laramie", it was an instant industry icon. For the first time, an automotive campaign was NOT conducted by extolling the features, advantages, and benefits of the product, but instead introduced us to a rather psychologically manipulative style that sold the experience of owning a Jordan Playboy - selling the sizzle rather than the steak itself. The auto industry is still doing just that today, rather than selling number of cylinders, gears in the transmission, or warranty coverage, practically all manufacturers are selling the ownership experience of their latest offerings.

Oddly enough, the Playboy was built and sold primarily to women, with a breezy, devil-may-care pitch that was far more innovative and effective than the actual automobile - it reflected the changing social climate of the day, appealing to women to come into the showroom. While Jordan disappeared from the market in 1931, another victim of the market crash of '29, it had pioneered all-steel construction as much as a decade before it was adopted by larger automakers. Jordan Motors outsourced most of its parts to reduce production costs (and incidentally gained significant advantages in quality).

Born in Cleveland for the 1916 model year, perhaps the marque's biggest influence was its innovative advertising campaign, first rolled out in 1923. You can tell that Edward S. (Ned) Jordan, the company's founder was an advertising executive. His ad insertion for the '23 Playboy was not only a breakthrough in subliminal advertising, it was one outstanding piece of copy that although a bit stilted by today's standards, still appeals to the senses rather than logic. It's the standard for training all ad copywriters even today, and you may recognize the copy style as well as the illustration.

Fantasy, meet reality.

Quick Reply: Looking back, your favorite "personal luxury" coupes . . . . .