Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NX200t mini review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 12:39 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default NX200t mini review

2017 NX200t
MSRP $40,700
White with black interior
Miles prior to test: 7700

So it was time to finally have my IS250 go in for the airbag recall. While in for the service, I asked them to replace the front brake pads to a lower dust type. At first they thought the part was in. But it turns out it had to be ordered. Rather than give my car back and me return the loaner, I'm waiting it out with a newish 2017 NX200t with 7700 miles. This has given me some decent seat time to assess a vehicle I had a high interest in for myself. I'm not in the market for a new vehicle right now, but it's something I need to keep in the back of my mind as the IS starts aging. I've generally grown into sedans and out of SUVs, but my new job has me reconsidering the need for more utility.

So overall, it's a very comfortable SUV. I find the size to be just right. The front cockpit area is well layed out, the seats are extremely comfortable (probably confining for wider people), and all dash buttons are an easy reach. Unfortunately, as I had suspected all along, the placement of the gear shifter is too far from the driver. The media dial and other buttons take the spot of where a shifter normally resides. I find this annoying and backward, but seems to be the trend of gizmos and electronics taking over today's autos. Luckily, there's no need for manually shifting, as there is in my car and others. More on that later.

Visibility is surprisingly good. From the outside, it would appear rear, side visibility would be compromised by the swoopy window lines. At least in the time I've had it, I have not noticed any problems back there. However, the side view mirrors perfectly line up and block the view to 10 O'clock, when one is waiting to make a left turn at an intersection. The mirror fills in the crosswalk for half the intersection. May be how I have my seat positioned. But my IS has no such blocked view.

Everything seems to be assembled well. The first two times I drove it, there was a distinct rattle somewhere around the left side of the steering column or dash. I pressed on the area a few times and it went away and has not come back. So possible a loose piece that just needed securing. Most SUV's have some sort of rattle, so I'm impressed here. On the other hand, the interior lacks luxury. Not even sort of there... there's just none to be had. This model has a premium package which includes some common goodies, but no wood trim. The default trim material is a fake carbon fiber, which mostly blends in with the black dash and door panels. An easy way to liven up the interior would be some sort of rich wood, that looks like Lexus spent some money on finish. Then, there are large areas of metallic, black plastic all along the center console that also look cheap. That area, as is with my IS, should be covered with wood. I know not everyone is a fan of wood, but it is the quickest and easiest way to add luxury in an interior. Other than this fault, the inside is a nice place to spend time. Gauges are clear, modern (if a little plain), and the non-Nav screen offers decent graphics. A two hour hand detail on the exterior revealed no loose trim, and tight gaps all around.

On to the powertrain. This would be a very big split. On one hand, the turbo four is a gem of a powerplant. All these people claiming the SUV needs more power are just wanting to throw gas down the drain. There is a lot of pep here, and the car moves out of the way swiftly under all driving conditions. There's simply no need for more power, as that would sap efficiency. And speaking of that, I am average 26 mpg's, which in my opinion is outstanding for a non-hybrid SUV of this size. Very very impressed with the economy and power combination. And one other area I'm super impressed with is the transmission. While only six speeds (according to the manual readout), it is super smooth and always in the right position. There is no need to downshift manually, as there is on my IS250. Shifts come just at the right time and are not ever felt. SLICK. I thought my IS transmission was gold, but this is gold-plated gold. There is also no hesitation off the line and I do not detect any sort of turbo lag at all. Idle quality at a stop is also very refined. As far as power and smoothness go, this is a gem of a motor.

The big downside, or the complete opposite of all this, would be the engine noise. Man, what a hairdryer! There is no getting around this is a four cylinder, despite the smoothness and power delivery. Everytime you accelerate, you are reminded of the four, and all the cheap noises that come with it. I've not accepted that after a week's worth of driving, as it just sounds too tacky. This could be a deal breaker for me. But probably those coming up from other four cylinders, wouldn't mind as much. I'm used to my ultra-quiet IS V6 motor, so maybe that's what's making my reaction what it is. And to seal it all off, there is also some 1990's gear or driveline whine when first moving off or when cold. That's was quite a surprise, and I haven't heard of anyone else mentioning this with other NX's. Maybe there's a chance it's just this model.

Once on the rutted highway, the suspension does a very good job of leveling things out. I regularly take the I-5 from the Valley to Santa Clarita, and the trucks have destroyed the two right lanes. I have to avoid these lanes with my sport packaged IS. But in the NX, they are no problem. The ride on the streets is a bit smoother than with my IS sport package. There's a small level of head-toss, but that should be expected with most SUV's. Really no complaints about the ride at all. There is also very little wind noise, which is impressive for an SUV.

So overall, I find this to be a pleasant package, but a bit underwhelming. There's more style than anything else here, along with a healthy dose of seat and ride comfort. I keep trying to picture myself owning one, and I don't feel I'd have that "oh what a feeling" feel after a few months. While I'd appreciate the utility, smooth ride, and comfort, I don't think I'd accept the cheap sounding motor and lack of luxury inside. Lexus seems to have hit a high mark on luxury about ten years ago with their sedans and SUV's. Today's models are edgy, modern, and super-styled, but that doesn't hit the spot for me. But that's just me. The NX sells extremely well here in SoCal, so the masses find it appealing. And the leases are the same as an IS (very low). It's a good choice for someone in need of utility, and the excellent customer/dealer service would make it a wise choice. But I'm likely going to scratch it off my list as a future possible.

Pros:

Size
Efficiency
Power
Ride
Transmission
Seat comfort
Driving position
Utility
Price value/low lease
Excellent dealer service
Reliabilty, longterm option to keep

Cons:

Lack of luxury
Tractor sounds from four cylinder
Silly underbite front bumper on non-F-Sport model

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-03-17 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 04:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for the great review.

I am astonished that people pay the inflated prices for the cute utes. These vehicles are not very large, they are about the same size and footprint as a economy car. Lack V6 engines and are not the most capable.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-03-17 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 06:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I found it to have noticeable turbo lag. I think paying a little more for the RX is completely worth it too. Have you driven the new CX5. I'd be curious in the differences.
Old 06-03-17, 06:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had one of these for a loaner for a week and really enjoyed it. I would absolutely buy one.
Old 06-03-17, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good review, Fizz. I agree with most of your points, from the Wal-Mart interior to the unrefined four. With the last NX I checked out, though (and I did a full-review on it), I wasn't impressed with either the ride comfort or the road-noise level. As with the CT200h, I didn't think the NX's road manners were up to Lexus standards.....something that was much better (and clearly corrected) on the new RX350 which followed it. I don't like to pan Lexus products, as I know this is (primarily) a Lexus forum, even in Car Chat, but the NX simply did not impress me. You do, however, seem to feel that the ride comfort is adequate, and I respect that view...particularly from you.
Old 06-03-17, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think paying a little more for the RX is completely worth it too.
Definitely. No comparison in the road manners.
Old 06-03-17, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
These vehicles are not very large, they are about the same size and footprint as a economy car.
as we've discussed, the length and width and 'footprint' aren't the only thing providing UTILITY. it's the height and 'tall hatchback' room that does it, allowing suitcases and other goods to be placed in the vehicle STANDING UP, allowing for a TON more stuff to put in vs. a shallow trunk, and especially a sedan where the back seats don't fold down or provide only a small 'hole' to put stuff through.

and putting the back seats down on any utility provides a wonderful open space for many things... and people who don't have kids for example are easily able to take their big dog to the park, something that's a real hassle in a sedan.

i know you don't like utes, but you're missing the point and you're obviously in the small minority now.
Old 06-03-17, 10:25 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
from the Wal-Mart interior
So that means you consider the interior to be cheap? I consider you remark disturbing being a self subscribed experienced reviewer. You really have some strange ideas.
As an NX owner for more than 2 years your way off base. I find it comfortable and appealing to the eye, fit and finish are well done. Coming from an RX it is the just the right size for me.
Old 06-03-17, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Tractor sounds from four cylinder
Direct injection like on our IS's.

---

2018 will see some major improvements to the navigation/Remote touch. Uses CY17 (found on the LC). Also will have standard Lexus SS+, improved (IMO) bumpers and headlights, a few new soft touch interior materials, and the biggest addition is the available AVS suspension.
Old 06-03-17, 10:26 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely. No comparison in the road manners.
So lets compare apples and oranges.
Old 06-03-17, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
So lets compare apples and oranges.
True to an extent. The RX does cost more, but IMO that is not an excuse for the NX's shortcomings in refinement.
Old 06-03-17, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
So that means you consider the interior to be cheap? I consider you remark disturbing being a self subscribed experienced reviewer. You really have some strange ideas.
You may have misunderstood me. I was only referring to it being downscale by Lexus standards. Perhaps I did not make it clear. But that does not make it a strange idea.

As an NX owner for more than 2 years your way off base. I find it comfortable and appealing to the eye, fit and finish are well done. Coming from an RX it is the just the right size for me.
I agree that the general fit and finish, like almost all Lexus products, is well-done. I do not feel, however, that the interior is well-insulated, and I'm not going to change my mind on that unless Lexus actually improves it.....that's up to Lexus, not me.

Congratulations on your purchase, BTW, and I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Old 06-03-17, 11:47 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i really wanted the NX F Sport. i love the exterior, but i just can't stand the interior
Old 06-03-17, 02:27 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove a NX F-Sport & was very impressed with the handling & acceleration in Sport mode, very fun to drive!
Old 06-03-17, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i really wanted the NX F Sport. i love the exterior, but i just can't stand the interior
2018 will see some slight improvements to fit and finish. Near the larger 10.3" screen the climate controls have been simplified (less sea of buttons), and a GPS synced clock. RTI has a smoother finish than the current grainy plastic one. Sunglasses holder trim and the wrist rest also improved. The window controls have the nicer chrome bezels around them, and this specific picture appears to show Auto folding mirrors (we'll see). Some nice improvements, though if you want the center stack to change, you'll need to wait for a second generation.

Quick Reply: NX200t mini review