Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $70,000 car with 4 door question . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 11:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I would take an X5 before a GLE, perhaps even a Q7.
Old 06-03-17, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would take an X5 before a GLE, perhaps even a Q7.
Hard to fault today's Audi products (diesel emissions excepted LOL). In general, they are built and assembled like Swiss Watches.
Old 06-03-17, 10:01 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting topic. I always buy CPO'd or used with a Route 66 warranty...you end up with 'more' car and someone else has taken the big depreciation hit...and let my wife get the new stuff. The inflation calculator is DEFINITELY an eye opener. I complain all the time about Accords and Maximas costing $50k but now I see that they are right in line with the cost of everything else. Of course, I still remember when they were $18k but that was 30 years ago. I really have become my father!!!!

We have some decisions to make in the next year because I told my wife that her M4 has to go after 3 years. Luckily, the value has help pretty solid so it won't hurt when we sell it or trade it in. I doubt she is going to want to go 'backwards' but the next 'logical' step forward is something like a 911. And I'm not sure if I'm ready to make a $20k step up. Hopefully, we can start a family so she can ditch this incessant need for a 2 door car. Hahahaha
Old 06-03-17, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hard to fault today's Audi products (diesel emissions excepted LOL). In general, they are built and assembled like Swiss Watches.
might want to upgrade your references to Swiss watches to something more modern, like iphones.
Old 06-03-17, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
might want to upgrade your references to Swiss watches to something more modern, like iphones.
My late father had a 1950s'-vintage, manual-wind-up Rolex Swiss watch that he purchased brand-new when he was based in Europe (probably bought it cheaper there than it would have sold for here). It ran, well......like a Swiss watch........for more than 25 years. Show me a modern cell-phone from any manufacturer that will last that long ......(although Apple i-phones generally have a good reputation). Many people replace their cell-phones every couple of years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-17 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 11:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I wonder if Swiss fine watch makers say their watches are built and assembled like Audi"s?
Old 06-03-17, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder if Swiss fine watch makers say their watches are built and assembled like Audi"s?
With today's Audis, it would be a good comparison. Consumer Reports now considers Audi the top automaker when you figure in reliability, safety, and high scores in road-testing combined.
Old 06-03-17, 12:34 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
Interesting topic. I always buy CPO'd or used with a Route 66 warranty...you end up with 'more' car and someone else has taken the big depreciation hit...and let my wife get the new stuff. The inflation calculator is DEFINITELY an eye opener. I complain all the time about Accords and Maximas costing $50k but now I see that they are right in line with the cost of everything else. Of course, I still remember when they were $18k but that was 30 years ago. I really have become my father!!!!

We have some decisions to make in the next year because I told my wife that her M4 has to go after 3 years. Luckily, the value has help pretty solid so it won't hurt when we sell it or trade it in. I doubt she is going to want to go 'backwards' but the next 'logical' step forward is something like a 911. And I'm not sure if I'm ready to make a $20k step up. Hopefully, we can start a family so she can ditch this incessant need for a 2 door car. Hahahaha
The M4 is not holding value that great, there are many 2015s with 12-15k miles going for 55k asking on dealer lots and collecting dust. With that being said, it fetches around 47-48k on tradein and 52-53k private. It depreciates a little better than the Lexus counterpart, RCF, but for a mid 70s msrp new car, there are too much supply on the market.

It all depends who makes more $$$. If she makes more than you, then you have no say. But if you are the major bread winner, I feel bad for you when she upgrades from the 911
Old 06-03-17, 04:45 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'll leave my money invested thank you lol
Great plan for the past few years, but perhaps not quite as good for the next few. With forward P/E ratios as high as they've become, expected returns over the next few years are pretty low, and we're likely due for a correction sometime within the next five years (typical lifetime of a car loan). Given that inflation is expected to be in the 2.1% range for the next few years, and a 2% typical finance rate on a 5-year loan, that means a portfolio held in lieu of a loan needs a CAGR of 4.1% just to break even. Since 10-year returns on equity are expected to be in the 4% range, the likelyhood of a diversified portfolio returning better than 4.1% over the next 5 years is at best a coin flip.

Our plan has always been to keep our "slush fund" invested and fund any future car payment by diverting new investments into it. But where the market sits today has me thinking that at least some portion of the future flows are more valuable than what I have invested now. So if I had to buy a car today (we're going to hold off a few more years), I'd reverse course and pay cash, and then replenish our holdings going forward. The inherent assumption here is that there will be a market drop at some point over the course of a typical auto loan, so I'll be buying more securities "on sale".
Old 06-03-17, 07:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cars are so good these days that I will probably never see the need to spend $70k on one in the near future, but if I did... agree with PBM, Audi S5 Sportback. 10 years from now, $70k will probably be the median price.
Old 06-03-17, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrRick
We have some decisions to make in the next year because I told my wife that her M4 has to go after 3 years.
hey dude - you're a brave man but why does it have to go?

Originally Posted by geko29
Great plan for the past few years, but perhaps not quite as good for the next few. With forward P/E ratios as high as they've become, expected returns over the next few years are pretty low, and we're likely due for a correction sometime within the next five years (typical lifetime of a car loan). Given that inflation is expected to be in the 2.1% range for the next few years, and a 2% typical finance rate on a 5-year loan, that means a portfolio held in lieu of a loan needs a CAGR of 4.1% just to break even. Since 10-year returns on equity are expected to be in the 4% range, the likelyhood of a diversified portfolio returning better than 4.1% over the next 5 years is at best a coin flip.

Our plan has always been to keep our "slush fund" invested and fund any future car payment by diverting new investments into it. But where the market sits today has me thinking that at least some portion of the future flows are more valuable than what I have invested now. So if I had to buy a car today (we're going to hold off a few more years), I'd reverse course and pay cash, and then replenish our holdings going forward. The inherent assumption here is that there will be a market drop at some point over the course of a typical auto loan, so I'll be buying more securities "on sale".
i'd have to read all that a few times to make sense of it but the interest rate on my jeep is 1.84 and despite me itching to pay it off i know it makes no sense. or does it?
Old 06-03-17, 07:38 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
The M4 is not holding value that great, there are many 2015s with 12-15k miles going for 55k asking on dealer lots and collecting dust. With that being said, it fetches around 47-48k on tradein and 52-53k private. It depreciates a little better than the Lexus counterpart, RCF, but for a mid 70s msrp new car, there are too much supply on the market.

It all depends who makes more $$$. If she makes more than you, then you have no say. But if you are the major bread winner, I feel bad for you when she upgrades from the 911
The M4 allocations were much more than the M3 allocations. The M3s, being slightly rarer, are going for more despite the $2k premium for new M4s. It doesn't hurt that a lot of M3s were ordered and optioned, meaning that there were more stripped M4s than stripped M3s. With prices ranging from $65k (stripper) to $110k (optioned), the breadth also hurts resale a little bit. Also, the introduction of the ZCP, $130k GTS, and now the CS, the M3/4 loses a little bit more of it's resale.
Old 06-03-17, 09:44 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked

who knew that there was ANY scenario where i might have a say in this marriage. hahahaha

btw...we happened to stop by the Lexus dealership in Marietta on our way to an event, tonite. they were about to close and i just wanted to see if they had an LC, there. they did. whoa....
Old 06-03-17, 09:48 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hey dude - you're a brave man but why does it have to go?
because...like i told her...BMW's arent really cars that you 'marry'. they are more like summer flings or rebound relationships. thinking youre gonna have a nice, stable long term relationship with the instagram 'model' with daddy issues is a recipe for disaster...
Old 06-03-17, 10:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ lol...

sounds to me like you've given her a green light to get the 911.

Quick Reply: The $70,000 car with 4 door question . . .