Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rolls-Royce builds the Sweptail, a beautiful one-off boattail coupe

Old 05-31-17, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rolls-Royce builds the Sweptail, a beautiful one-off boattail coupe

When it comes to custom-built cars, Rolls-Royce rarely fails to impress. Its latest creation is this one-off coupe called the Sweptail. According to Rolls-Royce, it was commissioned by a collector of bespoke machinery, and the car's design inspiration was the coachbuilt Rolls-Royces of the 1920s.

The end result is an enormous Rolls-Royce coupe with a beautiful trailing boattail design. It looks like a hyper-expensive boattail Buick Riviera in the best way possible. A glass roof sheds light on a particularly plush interior. There are only two seats in the massive coupe. Where rear seats would have gone, are shelves made of wood and glass for storage. Wood veneer, consisting of ebony and paldao, is found everywhere in the car, even in the cargo areas. The darker wood trim is also accompanied by light colored leather.

The Sweptail has a few little tricks up its sleeve, too. Opening the suicide doors on either side will reveal platforms for attache cases. The cases are designed to carry the occupants' laptop computers, and they're constructed from carbon fiber, wrapped in leather, and finished with aluminum and titanium hardware. Between the seats is a chiller that comes complete with crystal champagne flutes and a bottle of champagne from the year the owner was born. The trunk is also filled with custom-fitted luggage.

Being a one-off, you won't be able to buy one of these coupes yourself. But it does show the capabilities of Rolls-Royce for doing special automobiles.
Source
Old 05-31-17, 06:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Haha, I thought of that too! And at least the Riviera had 4 seats!

I'm sorry, but the front of that thing is as ugly as sin and doesn't go with the boat tail at all. I guess money doesn't equal taste.
Old 05-31-17, 06:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Not beautiful !!!
Old 06-01-17, 02:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is an automotive version of a mullet.

Business in the front, party in the back.
Old 06-01-17, 08:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Gosh darn it.....it's a one-off..
Old 06-01-17, 09:09 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i don't understand the 08 that's on the front and back of the vehicle. can someone explain please?
Old 06-01-17, 12:05 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior is at a different level in both design and quality.
Old 06-01-17, 02:08 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i don't understand the 08 that's on the front and back of the vehicle. can someone explain please?
It's got something to do with the owner. I follow him on instagram and his collection...what he's shown so far...is incredible. He's got 2 of the 3 Ferrari F12 TRS's and he actually commissioned the first (they were actually named after him....Testa Rossa Sam). He's got 2 918s, a million GT3 RS's, 2 or 3 LaFerrari, 2 P1's and he's driving around the French countryside, as we speak, in his McLaren F1 LongTail. He also owns a racetrack in Spain (Circuito Monteblanco).

If youre on IG....give him a follow. Awesome cars... www.instagram.com/mwvmnw

Last edited by DrRick; 06-01-17 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 06:28 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
It's got something to do with the owner. I follow him on instagram and his collection...what he's shown so far...is incredible. He's got 2 of the 3 Ferrari F12 TRS's and he actually commissioned the first (they were actually named after him....Testa Rossa Sam). He's got 2 918s, a million GT3 RS's, 2 or 3 LaFerrari, 2 P1's and he's driving around the French countryside, as we speak, in his McLaren F1 LongTail. He also owns a racetrack in Spain (Circuito Monteblanco).

If youre on IG....give him a follow. Awesome cars... www.instagram.com/mwvmnw
thanks for the explanation -- much appreciated!
Old 06-01-17, 09:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I guess money doesn't equal taste.
That is for sure. What a complete waste of money. Reminds me of an old Simpsons episode where Homer's rich brother gave him an infinite budget to build the greatest car ever and Homer produces a monstrosity that bankrupts the company. This atrocious RR experiment won't hurt the owner's wallet much but I'm not impressed the end result. Are people actually supposed to sit in the back on those hard sauna benches? If you wanted to throw away money then why not pay for some people's education instead of building this pointless car. I understand the yachting influences but it just reminds me of another ugly, ill-conceived Franken-mobile -- the Accord CrossTour.
Old 06-01-17, 10:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Beat me to the punch on 1971 Riveria. Just for ****s and giggles, 1971 Riveria low rider

Old 06-02-17, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Agreed that the boat-tail is not well-done on the Rolls....rear pillar too thick, and not enough glass. But, before the '71-73 boat-tail Rivs get hyped too much, keep in mind that their build quality was not up to that of Buicks of the previous decade (60s). Cheaper materials were used inside and out, thinner sheet metal was used, and they had a more crude, less-well-finished look/feel to their hardware and trim. The engines were also losing efficiency and drivability, due to primitive emissions-controls. When I posted in other threads about GMs build-quality dropping in the 1970s, I was serious. I remember those days well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-17 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 07:24 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

jesus, i wanna be that rich.

he must be very very happy
Old 06-02-17, 07:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ 71 to 73 were still pretty good years for GM IMO. Yes the interior is kind of cheezy when you compare it to a 1964 Riveria, but that's kind of the way things were in all 1970's American cars(damn accountants at the big 3) Compare it to a 1971 Eldorado or Lincoln Mark interior from that era, IMO its way nicer, plus you could get bucket seats and console shift in the Riveria. They still made good power in 71 to 73 with the whopper 455 Buick V8, about 250hp for standard models, a bit more for the Gran Sport. Keep in mind they changed the rating standard so it wasn't just lower compression/emissions crap that made them less powerful(you could argue that the "gross" ratings from the 1960's was an inflated figure vs the "net" rating system used starting in 1971 that is more realistic). They really didn't start to strangle the engines until 1974 when they put the cat converters on them, then you started having such lame crap by the late 70's/80's as the tiny V8's in big cars(Cadillac 4.1, Olds 307). Compared to that non-sense, the early 70's big block cars were rocket ships.
Old 06-02-17, 07:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
jesus, i wanna be that rich.

he must be very very happy
Yeah, he's giving those boys in a Dubai a run for their money in having the latest, one offiest, I'm a rich **** type of cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rolls-Royce builds the Sweptail, a beautiful one-off boattail coupe