Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tempted by 2017 Pacifica Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 12:05 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Tempted by 2017 Pacifica Hybrid

but I ran into this forum....... http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...al-discussion/
about 2 out of 3 thread topic is dealing with a serious problem. I'm no longer tempted.
Old 05-26-17, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not sure what your intent is by opening the thread. Do you want our advice on the Pacifica? (this is, of course, a general-automotive forum, and we talk about all vehicles here, not just Lexus products).

If it will help any, I myself did a full-review on the non-hybrid Pacifica a year ago, back when it first debuted. One of our CL members is also comparing the Pacifica to the Odyssey for a possible purchase/lease.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-pacifica.html
Old 05-26-17, 03:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

yeah, having worked for and owned several Chryslers I was tempted for about 3 seconds when I saw the commercial, then some bad memories of prior ownership of Chrysler products slapped me back into reality.

I am still an active member of several Mopar clubs and forums and nothing has really changed since Fiat took over, they still have major issues on all their vehicles and the dealerships still treat you like trash.
Old 05-26-17, 03:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, well it is a Chrysler after all...been there, done that...never again!
Old 05-26-17, 03:56 PM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When Ford introduced their first plug in hybrid (C-Max Energi), it quickly became the least reliable car ranked by Consumer Reports. Mostly electrical issues that made the car a big paperweight, so most of the fixes were FW related. I doubt Chrysler will do any better with the Pacifica Hybrid.
Old 05-26-17, 04:23 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

mjeds is my hero today

If you come to Chicago you can have a ride in my new NSX

no one here should suffer with cryslur stuff
Old 05-26-17, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
no one here should suffer with Chrysler stuff
I'm not sure if you meant the typo or not, but I corrected it for you.

While I respect your opinion (and your view of the corporation), I don't think it's fair to say that those interested in a Chrysler product will necessarily "suffer" in their ownership. One of our CL moderators has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and loves it. Steve (SW15LS), a respected member, has had two Grand Cherokees, and is currently quite interested in a Pacifica, cross-shopping one with an Odyssey. I'll admit, though, that IMO, today, the average Ford or Chrysler product, in general, is not built as well as the average Japanese, Korean, or GM-derived vehicle....though, of course, there are exceptions, such as Nissan and its French ownership. But, again, that doesn't mean that owners can't buy Ford/Chrysler products and be happy or satisfied with them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-17 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
nothing has really changed since Fiat took over, they still have major issues on all their vehicles and the dealerships still treat you like trash.
all their vehicles? really? must be why jeep is selling like hotcakes and people love 'em.

when did you last work for a chrysler dealer?

about the pacifica hybrid thread... the OP's getting his car replaced, engineers can't reproduce the issue, and someone said it might be the charging system at the owner's place... not saying it's excusable, it needs to get fixed. but perhaps if the car was that bad Google wouldn't have bought 500 of them for driverless car testing.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-27-17 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if the car was that bad Google wouldn't have bought 500 of them for driverless car testing.
Chrysler always was one of the companies that specialized in fleet-sales LOL.
Old 05-27-17, 12:01 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

all their vehicles? really? must be why jeep is selling like hotcakes and people love 'em.
I wouldn't say like hotcakes when Jeep sales are down 12.6% ytd. and Chrysler is down 27.1% ytd.
Old 05-27-17, 10:58 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

when did you last work for a chrysler dealer?

about the pacifica hybrid thread... the OP's getting his car replaced, engineers can't reproduce the issue, and someone said it might be the charging system at the owner's place... not saying it's excusable, it needs to get fixed. but perhaps if the car was that bad Google wouldn't have bought 500 of them for driverless car testing.
my last position with Chrysler was with Chrysler not a dealer and it was right at the beginning of the FCA takeover, and the Challenger, Charger, 300, 200, Grand Cherokee, Compass, Cherokee, Ram Trucks, Durango, etc. all suffer from quality issues still today, I still have contacts within Chrysler and at several dealerships and still attend Mopar events because I have a lot of friends from many years of engagement with the products, and the I still hear the same stories about issues and problems and dealership behavior.

Just because a product "sells like hotcakes" doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to quality issues, look at GM, they sell a butt load of cars and are usually ranked #1 or #2 in total car sales every year (where Chrysler sits around 5 or 6), yet they still have 72 active safety recalls on over 45 MILLION cars built since 2010.
Old 05-28-17, 03:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
my last position with Chrysler was with Chrysler not a dealer and it was right at the beginning of the FCA takeover, and the Challenger, Charger, 300, 200, Grand Cherokee, Compass, Cherokee, Ram Trucks, Durango, etc. all suffer from quality issues still today, I still have contacts within Chrysler and at several dealerships and still attend Mopar events because I have a lot of friends from many years of engagement with the products, and the I still hear the same stories about issues and problems and dealership behavior.
That's true to some extent, but I noticed a major improvement on almost all newer Chrysler products in their latest re-designs. They still rank low on the long-term reliability list, but there were major advances in fit/finish, the quality of interior trim, and the general condition of the vehicles in the way they come the factory. The Ram Trucks also became MUCH more pleasant to drive....the newer ones are so smooth and quiet that they ride and drive almost like luxury cars.

From what I've heard about the warranty-issues, though, it's not so much the dealerships themselves that are the problem, but that the corporation itself just doesn't want to face its own warranty costs. I've had people at the dealership level tell me that they either do the warranty work, or attempt to do so, and FCA itself just balks and won't pay for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-17 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-28-17, 05:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chrysler sells a lot of wheels.

But when a squeaky wheel gets on the internet, it becomes like a Kardashian: overhyped and causes headaches.
Old 05-28-17, 08:11 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Getting a Chrysler ANYTHING is a big mistake... unless it's a diesel truck, Hellcat or a Viper. Everything else is garbage.
Old 05-28-17, 09:53 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Thank you 97-SC300

Trying to overcome the pro-cryslur misinformation has been difficult, but we have good people here who care about the others on the site, and we must keep going

Quick Reply: Tempted by 2017 Pacifica Hybrid