Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 08:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It would be interesting to hear from drivers in markets where Plus has been rolled out. How was the experience, satisfaction etc.? Did they buy/lease from the Plus dealer, or go to another dealer or another brand? I'm sure there will be updates from the Lexus division, and it would be good to balance that with reports from consumers.
Old 05-21-17, 08:50 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And if the two dealers are no haggle. You almost assured to pay more than a negotiation type dealer.
But why? You really haven't elucidated the specific reasoning. For example, you earlier claimed there would be an "absence of competition" in a no-haggle system, but that's just not true. Even at the very least, Lexus dealers will still have to compete with other luxury marques, and that's the reason I brought up that existing Lexus dealerships that don't have local competition will still cut deals. It's not just other Lexus dealerships that are the competition on price.

The only thing a universal no-haggle system prevents is going back and forth between nearby Lexus dealers. And this is all still not taking into consideration the big picture - the additional value to the end consumer, including long-term cost reduction, that a universal no-haggle system would bring.
Old 05-21-17, 08:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It would be interesting to hear from drivers in markets where Plus has been rolled out. How was the experience, satisfaction etc.? Did they buy/lease from the Plus dealer, or go to another dealer or another brand? I'm sure there will be updates from the Lexus division, and it would be good to balance that with reports from consumers.
If you look in the model forums these experiences are out there, overwhelmingly they're negative from what I've read. Yeah prices much higher. One guy had a dealer he'd used forever that always made him a deal go LexusPlus and he had to buy elsewhere and saved thousands
Old 05-21-17, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have no doubt the experience will more than likely​ be superior at the Lexus Plus dealer. The whole point is to remove the frustration of haggling and having to negotiate a deal. My experiences were always good at my Toyota and Lexus delaer where I went the no haggle route. I would totally recommend it but a lot of people don't see it the way I see it.
Old 05-21-17, 08:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
But why? You really haven't elucidated the specific reasoning. For example, you earlier claimed there would be an "absence of competition" in a no-haggle system, but that's just not true. Even at the very least, Lexus dealers will still have to compete with other luxury marques, and that's the reason I brought up that existing Lexus dealerships that don't have local competition will still cut deals. It's not just other Lexus dealerships that are the competition on price.

The only thing a universal no-haggle system prevents is going back and forth between nearby Lexus dealers. And this is all still not taking into consideration the big picture - the additional value to the end consumer, including long-term cost reduction, that a universal no-haggle system would bring.
You are right that Lexus will have competition among other luxury brands.

Among the Lexus brand, two no haggle dealers will eventually find a price point that buyers will be willing to pay. This is no different than two negotiating dealers. The difference is that the no haggle pricing will settle higher. This is how competitive competition works. Absence of competition will yield a higher price.

A no haggle system benefits the dealer and the manufacturer from the dollar and sense pov. Value is increased for the buyer as long as they are willing to pay the premium.
Old 05-21-17, 09:00 AM
gengar

Among the Lexus brand, two no haggle dealers will eventually find a price point that buyers will be willing to pay. This is no different than two negotiating dealers. The difference is that the no haggle pricing will settle higher. This is how competitive competition works. Absence of competition will yield a higher price.
Still have no idea how you can consider this "absence of competition". Maybe you are arguing that it is "less" competition?

As I've said, the more important part of this, especially as concerns the end consumer, is the systemic change. You keep insisting that prices have to rise, but that's the opposite natural reaction to getting rid of middlemen. And that still ignores the added value to the consumer of dealers being forced to spec vehicles to customer demand rather than focusing on cutting deals.

Last edited by gengar; 05-21-17 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-21-17, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You miss the point. We aren't getting rid of the middlemen! Lexus dealers will operate as they always have.
Old 05-21-17, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Still have no idea how you can consider this "absence of competition". Maybe you are arguing that it is "less" competition?

As I've said, the more important part of this, especially as concerns the end consumer, is the systemic change. You keep insisting that prices have to rise, but that's the opposite natural reaction to getting rid of middlemen. And that still ignores the added value to the consumer of dealers being forced to spec vehicles to customer demand rather than focusing on cutting deals.
Absence of competition or less competition both. Right now, offering both the No-Haggle opton as well as the traditional negotiation route is the best thing for buyers, this is ultimately what everyone wants. More choice, more competition this way.
Old 05-21-17, 10:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I looked at the web site of a Plus dealer and they show "Negotiation Free" pricing on their new inventory and "Upfront Pricing" on pre-owned. Anyone know if the Upfront Pricing is dealer initiated or part of the Lexus Plus new car program? Just curious if this extends to pre-owned as well as new.

http://www.bergstromlexus.com/Vehicl...new&make=Lexus
Old 05-21-17, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at the web site of a Plus dealer and they show "Negotiation Free" pricing on their new inventory and "Upfront Pricing" on pre-owned. Anyone know if the Upfront Pricing is dealer initiated or part of the Lexus Plus new car program? Just curious if this extends to pre-owned as well as new.

http://www.bergstromlexus.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Lexus
And as an example they're showing $5,000 off an LS460. On that price you can do at least twice that right now with some emails. I know because I did just email around seeing if I could get into a better equipped LS for the same payment as mine since I'm not wowed by the LS500.

So in this case the LexusPlus pricing is potentially costing the consumer $5,000 on that particular car. Effort to get that $10k discount? Two emails. My dealer (not a LexusPlus dealer) has LS460s marked down 10% just on their lot.
Old 05-21-17, 10:59 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.bergstromlexus.com/Vehicl...new&make=Lexus
Lexus Plus is a program that affects the way the whole dealership does business, not just selling new cars but selling used cars also.
Old 05-21-17, 11:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

A no haggle system benefits the dealer and the manufacturer from the dollar and sense pov. Value is increased for the buyer as long as they are willing to pay the premium.
How do you come to this conclusion? A dealer-set no haggle price will be higher for some (those who have the time, resources and the ability to haggle) but lower for others (those who do not want to haggle); a dealer-set no haggle price will be the average of all transactions prices and still lower than MSRP, before adopting a no haggle policy.

Under Lexus Plus, Lexus HQ does not set prices; the dealers continue to set prices so that they will remain competitive. The price set by the dealer will have to be competitive and if the dealer continually sets prices that are NOT competitive, they will lose business.
Old 05-21-17, 01:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I don't agree with this at all - the notion that MSRP sales are needed to offset negotiated deals doesn't at all fly with the reality of financials of car dealerships. The reality is that dealers make very little off new car sales, with the industry average being a meager 1-2% net profit margin. There's virtually no industry in which that net profit margin is sustainable, and it's true for car dealers too. Review the financials of any dealership group and you will find that new car sales typically make up only 25-30% of revenue - and contribute even less to operating income. So if you really want to know what subsidizes what at dealers, it's actually more profitable income streams like service that is subsidizing those who think they got deals - it's not other new car buyers that are doing that.
just because dealers overall make meager margins on new car sales (i agree and know this) doesn't negate my point at all. the sales model is stupid. huge margins from msrp + high margin tacked on crap, down to 'invoice' + hold backs, advertising funds, incentives, etc. - some (consumers) play the game better than others to navigate all this b.s. and if the dealer wants to move a car to a consumer like that then they do so, but if all consumers negotiated with knowledge and aggressively, then surely the dealer would be underwater on new car sales. they only get back to the 1-2% profit because in addition to highly negotiated sales where they might even lose money just to get the car off the lot (because the longer it sits the more they pay), they also have sales from less aggressive consumers who may welcome or even begrudgingly pay for the pinstripes, paint, rust, wheel, tire, warranty and other 'protection packages' (i.e., pure profit) as well as paying more for the car itself.

This is aside from all the other problems from a middleman negotiating scheme, such as costs going up because additional labor is needed, MSRP getting inflated to build in negotiation room, and dealers having the wrong incentives because they want to appear to cut deals rather than pricing cars to sell. All of which hurt end value to the consumer.
agreed.

perhaps lexus has concluded this giant inefficient shell game is ultimately a loser for luxury cars where the sales experience shouldn't feel like a shake down.

That's why I think in the long term, we'll see new car sales shift away from dealerships to the point where we can order cars online without having to talk to a salesman at all. The margins on new car sales simply don't justify the labor costs, and that's one of the reasons dealers are open to no-haggle sales systems - because forcing customers to pay off an industry of middlemen just doesn't make sense.
amen!
Old 05-21-17, 01:34 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just because dealers overall make meager margins on new car sales (i agree and know this) doesn't negate my point at all.
I agree completely - did not intend at all to come across like I was rebutting your overall point. That was the only part of your post I disagreed with.
Old 05-21-17, 03:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't agree with this at all - the notion that MSRP sales are needed to offset negotiated deals doesn't at all fly with the reality of financials of car dealerships. The reality is that dealers make very little off new car sales, with the industry average being a meager 1-2% net profit margin. There's virtually no industry in which that net profit margin is sustainable, and it's true for car dealers too. Review the financials of any dealership group and you will find that new car sales typically make up only 25-30% of revenue - and contribute even less to operating income. So if you really want to know what subsidizes what at dealers, it's actually more profitable income streams like service that is subsidizing those who think they got deals - it's not other new car buyers that are doing that.
That's a good point, the only business that has low margins like that are gas stations which have mini-marts to basically make the business money. However gas is a commodity so not a great comparison but similar in the fact that many have had to supplement the main product with other offerings to make money.

With Lexus' being so reliable and going to 10k mile oil changes, it's a wonder how long dealers can sustain this model. However the owners and GMs aren't really scraping by so I'm not feeling too bad for them.

Quick Reply: Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs