Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-17, 09:21 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You miss my point. The point is that deal is possible even though it's dramatically below invoice. Lexus has a lot of dealer cash on the LS because it's so late in the run. I've seen rebates as high as $8,000. I got $10k off my LS460 in 2015, there was I believe a $2,000 rebate at that time.

And yes I can buy an RX for $5k off MSRP with zero effort. Literally one phone call. $7,000 with effort I believe if there's a rebate, which is very common on these vehicles. Whether you believe that or not Jill is meaningless lol. The RX is not hot, they sell well but they are incentivized, and dealers have plenty of stock. It's not a Range Rover.

Why do we care if it's "stupid" for the dealer? The dealer is your adversary.
You are right and it helps to be in an area with a number of Lexus dealers. On my IS350 I leased this past summer, I was able to get $8,700 off sticker with no haggling, just a phone call. I was able to get the same deal from my local dealer but it took haggling and them calling me back after I left the dealer. Needless to say, I went with the no haggling price of the first dealer but I do have a relationship with that dealer so there is no BS involved.
Old 05-20-17, 09:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

And yes I can buy an RX for $5k off MSRP with zero effort. Literally one phone call. $7,000 with effort I believe if there's a rebate, which is very common on these vehicles. Whether you believe that or not Jill is meaningless lol. The RX is not hot, they sell well but they are incentivized, and dealers have plenty of stock. It's not a Range Rover.
Yes you are right, it is not a Range Rover and I am about to find this out. I was just at the LR dealership this morning and they have a new Discovery that the wife and I will test drive this afternoon. The chances of me getting anything off MSRP is 0%. This is a no haggle dealership because of supply and demand and unfortunately demand seems high right now. Too bad my wife doesn't like the MB GLS, I called a friend of mine there and its an easy 12% off MSRP if we wanted it.
Old 05-20-17, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Whether you believe that or not Jill is meaningless lol.
Out of respect for both of you, I won't get involved in that conversation between you and Jill. I speak for myself....and so can she.

The RX is not hot, they sell well but they are incentivized, and dealers have plenty of stock. It's not a Range Rover.
Chantilly, of course, may not be representative of the country, but, the last time I was in that area a couple of days ago, they did have some RRs in stock. I would guess that, even with generally hot SUV sales right now, people are tired of paying that six-figure price for a RR.

Slightly off-topic, but, as I have said before, I think one reason the new RX may not currently be as hot as the old one..........

Why do we care if it's "stupid" for the dealer? The dealer is your adversary.
Depends on the dealership. Some salespeople (actually the sales-managers, more so than the sales-reps themselves) try to take advantage of people. Others are honest and try to write up a fair deal. I've dealt with both types.....and learned from the experience.

I've also found that some of the best deals can come from some of the worst-run dealerships. Rosenthal was a perfect example. They had some of the lowest out-the-door prices I've seen over the years (among traditional haggle-shops)....but made the sales experience miserable, and the service departments were s***.

Also OT, but Rosenthal was also the reason for the current Federal law requiring all cash sales of $10,000 or more being reported to the FBI. Agents posing as drug dealers (you could maybe call it a sting?) offered to buy Rosenthal vehicles with drug-money, for drug-running, and the salespeople and managers took the bait. The rest is history.
Old 05-20-17, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Yeah you will pay sticker patglim! I helped a friend of mine order one to replace her X5. The only concession we could get is that they wouldn't charge her for the port add on stuff, or do that stuff.

So you know shipments of the Discovery are delayed too, hers has been pushed back 6 weeks and its at the port in the U.K., so that will
mean delayed delivery of lot spec ones too, further driving up prices.

I haven't driven it but she says it's awesome, and she knows cars so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old 05-20-17, 10:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
You are right and it helps to be in an area with a number of Lexus dealers. On my IS350 I leased this past summer, I was able to get $8,700 off sticker with no haggling, just a phone call. I was able to get the same deal from my local dealer but it took haggling and them calling me back after I left the dealer. Needless to say, I went with the no haggling price of the first dealer but I do have a relationship with that dealer so there is no BS involved.
so this was no haggling dealer you went to? Or was the best price with no haggling. ?
Old 05-20-17, 10:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
so this was no haggling dealer you went to? Or was the best price with no haggling. ?
Just to clarify, there are no "no haggle" dealers around me.

I made a call to the first place since I bought my GX from them and I keep in touch with the salesman there from time to time to see what cars and deals they have and he usually just sends me a screen shot of the incentives,Lexus currently has. When I called him he told me exactly what his lowest price was which to me was reasonable but I wasn't ready to buy at that point. I get my Lexus' serviced at another dealer closer to me and they had the exact car I wanted in the showroom while I was waiting so I started asking about it and the negotiations started off terrible and I walked (the lease price was a good bit higher, they didn't factor in the manufacturer's rebate or the first month free lease payment from Lexus until I told them I knew about those). They called me later and gave me a good price but I took my business to the first dealer since there is some loyalty there. It's just a little bit further from where I live and they had to get the car from another dealer.
Old 05-20-17, 10:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Just to clarify, there are no "no haggle" dealers around me.

I made a call to the first place since I bought my GX from them and I keep in touch with the salesman there from time to time to see what cars and deals they have and he usually just sends me a screen shot of the incentives,Lexus currently has. When I called him he told me exactly what his lowest price was which to me was reasonable but I wasn't ready to buy at that point. I get my Lexus' serviced at another dealer closer to me and they had the exact car I wanted in the showroom while I was waiting so I started asking about it and the negotiations started off terrible and I walked (the lease price was a good bit higher, they didn't factor in the manufacturer's rebate or the first month free lease payment from Lexus until I told them I knew about those). They called me later and gave me a good price but I took my business to the first dealer since there is some loyalty there. It's just a little bit further from where I live and they had to get the car from another dealer.
Thank you for the response. So in your opinion if there was a no haggle Lexus dealer in your area. Would you estimate the no haggle price would be close to what you paid (give or take $1500k) or would you think it would be wildly more money?
Old 05-20-17, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"Within $1,500" isn't what I would consider a small margin, $1,500 is t a trivial amount of money.
Old 05-20-17, 12:15 PM
smualum11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local dealers are not going to give away a RX SUV for $5000 less than a no haggle delaer who is giving it for $5000 more. This is just rediculous and stupid on both dealers.

I am sorry, but I simply do not believe a Lexus delaer is willing to give $7000 off the MSRP of a new Lexus RX. Prove to me otherwise and I will believe it.
I was a data point for this in October. I paid $49,369 for my MSRP $56,369 F-Sport. Included $1,000 Lexus incentive that was packaged along with 0.9% financing. To be transparent, the dealer did let me know they had specialized holdback/incentives from Lexus on the particular car I purchased. If I looked at a different one on their lot, would have been a different story.
Old 05-20-17, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smualum11
I was a data point for this in October. I paid $49,369 for my MSRP $56,369 F-Sport. Included $1,000 Lexus incentive that was packaged along with 0.9% financing. To be transparent, the dealer did let me know they had specialized holdback/incentives from Lexus on the particular car I purchased. If I looked at a different one on their lot, would have been a different story.
Thanks for the comment. Do you know what the invoice was?
Old 05-20-17, 01:30 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems like you have a really good understanding of this system and the car industry in general. Very interesting to read your posts.
It's just an artifact of having been involved in so many car buying transactions over the years, and also having been around so many people who work in the industry - from the dealership level all the way up to the highest ranks at corporate. As always, I just want to share my experience and opinions based on that, especially when there seem to be quite some misconceptions about the business practices involved and how they might change. Frankly I couldn't care less that Lexus is moving to a no-haggle sales scheme (especially as I have no intention of buying a Lexus at this time), but some of the comments in this thread are so farfetched that they border on the insane.
Old 05-20-17, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
It's just an artifact of having been involved in so many car buying transactions over the years, and also having been around so many people who work in the industry - from the dealership level all the way up to the highest ranks at corporate. As always, I just want to share my experience and opinions based on that, especially when there seem to be quite some misconceptions about the business practices involved and how they might change. Frankly I couldn't care less that Lexus is moving to a no-haggle sales scheme (especially as I have no intention of buying a Lexus at this time), but some of the comments in this thread are so farfetched that they border on the insane.
Well if you are interested more in the subject, there was a University of Alberta study on Toyota that went to a no haggle system across Canada (except Ontario). The no haggle system was called Toyota Access and they concluded that the no haggle system drove dealer profit and in fact raised the transaction prices. It was about $1000 per sale if I remember. It was also found that Toyota customer perception increased as well as consumers were willing to spend more for the chance of not having to haggle. Across different competing brands such as Honda, thier transactions increased as well but they stayed non haggle. The PDF is available online if you are interested.
Old 05-20-17, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

there was a University of Alberta study on Toyota that went to a no haggle system across Canada (except Ontario). The no haggle system was called Toyota Access and they concluded that the no haggle system drove dealer profit and in fact raised the transaction prices. It was about $1000 per sale if I remember.
This is exactly my point! Consumers pay more.
Old 05-20-17, 02:14 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Well if you are interested more in the subject, there was a University of Alberta study on Toyota that went to a no haggle system across Canada (except Ontario). The no haggle system was called Toyota Access and they concluded that the no haggle system drove dealer profit and in fact raised the transaction prices. It was about $1000 per sale if I remember. It was also found that Toyota customer perception increased as well as consumers were willing to spend more for the chance of not having to haggle. Across different competing brands such as Honda, thier transactions increased as well but they stayed non haggle. The PDF is available online if you are interested.
Yes, I've read that paper - but Toyota Access and Lexus Plus are not comparable systems. Toyota Access was a one-price system (at least across some set geographical region - think it was by Canadian province, but not sure), not just a no-haggle system. In other words, Toyota Canada - at the corporate level - was actually setting fixed prices across large geographic regions. I don't think anyone doubts that Toyota Canada wanted anything but to increase margins, hence why antitrust proceedings were started (and successful).

You know, you'd really do well to check if the facts and arguments presented are actually relevant to (much less support) your ulterior motives before getting overexcited.

Last edited by gengar; 05-20-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What about all the customers who haggle and still end up paying more? You will (likely) respond that one simply isn't haggling or bargaining hard enough. Sometimes that might be the case.....but one cannot haggle below what the dealership is willing to offer, any more than the dealership can force you to come up higher if you don't want to.

Quick Reply: Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs