Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 07:38 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you say is correct from a strict-math point of view, on the lease-payments themselves. But a complicating factor (though not associated with the lease-deal itself), at least for those who use their vehicles for business according to the IRS code, is the deductibility of the lease payments on their taxes. The more you pay on a lease, of course, the more you can deduct, and you will be getting back at least a part of those payments each April (or whenever you file your taxes).
Taxes are a factor. But you know what's the more important factor? The fact that you're paying more. It is FAR better to NOT spend $100, and miss out on the $25 or less in tax savings. You come out $75 or more ahead.
Old 05-18-17, 07:41 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

What you say is correct from a strict-math point of view, on the lease-payments themselves. But a complicating factor (though not associated with the lease-deal itself), at least for those who use their vehicles for business according to the IRS code, is the deductibility of the lease payments on their taxes. The more you pay on a lease, of course, the more you can deduct, and you will be getting back at least a part of those payments each April (or whenever you file your taxes). That's one of the the things that keeps the luxury-vehicle business going....Many who cannot afford to, or who don't want either the high monthly payments of a purchase or having to write one big check that will clean out their bank-account, choose the lease-option instead. In Steve's case, of course, as a real-estate agent, driving clients around looking at homes, he's in an ideal position, with that LS460, to take advantage of that tax-loophole.
You are seriously arguing that people will opt for a higher lease payment so they can "save" a fraction of that higher payment on tax deductions?
Old 05-18-17, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
You are seriously arguing that people will opt for a higher lease payment so they can "save" a fraction of that higher payment on tax deductions?
No. Of course one will not get it all back....I don't know how you could assume I was saying that. Nor was I implying that. I just said that in some circumstances, people will get some of it back. In those situations, it's at least better than nothing.
Old 05-18-17, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Taxes are a factor. But you know what's the more important factor? The fact that you're paying more. It is FAR better to NOT spend $100, and miss out on the $25 or less in tax savings. You come out $75 or more ahead.
Oh, I agree......(see my reply to gengar, just above). But when you do pay more, at least in some business-related circumstances, you won't necessarily lose all of it....some of it will come back with your yearly tax-refund (or lower your tax-bill, if you owe). But, no, I agree...if you can get a lower lease-payment, take it.
Old 05-18-17, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The issue is that your disagreement is based on your refusal to acknowledge that an alternative system will have different costs and different incentives. You can't just plug your ears and keep repeating over and over that pricing and value and everything else is going to remain the exact same when the whole system changes. If that's not "refusing to understand", I don't know what is.
I just don't agree, sorry. My disagreement is based on my own experience with car dealerships both as a consumer and consultant, and my experience with wholesale and retail business in general. Lexus isn't going to revolutionize the auto sales industry. We've seen no haggle strategies before, this isn't new. Look at Tesla, I have no doubt that consumers pay more for Teslas than they would if they had a fleet of franchised dealerships competing for their business. They're not "changing the game" they're just removing a variable from the game. Dealer business structures are going to be the same, these dealers are established independent businesses that have existed for decades, they aren't going to change. The manufacturer to dealer relationship isn't going to change...all that changes is the dealer's ability to make deals based on market factors and individual demand, their ability to compete with each other. They're going to be working together to keep sales prices high, where now the free market drives them down with demand.

It's not rocket science. You have a wholesale price for a car, and a retail price. In between the two is the dealers profit. The dealer wants to keep as much of that as possible, and we as the consumers want to spend as little as possible. Dealerships aren't going to adopt systems that provide less profit for them and more savings for us. All a system like this does is give the dealer and the manufacturer greater control over what sales price we as consumers pay. Right now, they're at the mercy of the free market, if they set the only sales price then we as consumers have to accept it, or buy another brand of car.

The experiences with LexusPlus are out there, they are on this forum now. These dealers charge considerably more than competing dealers are willing to sell cars for. Look in the model specific forums as members encounter dealers doing this.
Old 05-18-17, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I do know people who do their leases this way, but they do them this way by getting the lowest residual possible so that they can write off the largest amount of depreciation, then buy the cars out and keep them for the well below market residual. It's just a matter of moving the money around.

But otherwise no, spending money you don't have to just to get a tax deduction would be stupid.
Old 05-18-17, 08:01 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's not rocket science.
Agreed 100%, it's far from rocket science to understand that prices change and consumer value changes when systemic overhaul causes costs and incentive to change. But you stated the problem yourself - you refuse even to acknowledge the possibility that these things change.

Then again, the mere fact that you could even suggest that an entire industry composed of nothing but middlemen could possibly cause end-user prices to drop may indicate that perhaps it is rocket science, at least to some.
Old 05-18-17, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Look at Tesla, I have no doubt that consumers pay more for Teslas than they would if they had a fleet of franchised dealerships competing for their business.
That's one of the things that got Tesla in trouble. First, no mass-production auto company has ever succeeded, long-run, in owning and operating all of the sales/service and repair facilities.......it's just too much overhead at the corporate level. Second, Tesla, until recently, was able to charge (and, to some extent, justify) high prices, based on the fact that their vehicles could simply run longer, and need less recharging, than other pure-electrics. But, wth the advent of lower-priced long-range alternatives like the Chevrolet Bolt (not Volt....Bolt), those Times-are-a Changin'.

Dealerships aren't going to adopt systems that provide less profit for them and more savings for us.
Depends on how much they want to satisfy customers. This isn't the 1950s any more....or even the 1980s. There is enormous pressure, nowadays, to do well in the Consumer-Reports and J.D. Power customer-satisfaction surveys. The sales-experience satisfaction for customers is a significant part of those surveys.
Old 05-18-17, 08:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For some reason, the minority (but very vocal minority) refuses to understand that a no-haggle system will more closely resemble today's buying agencies like truecar and not today's dealer MSRP.
I agree. The no haggle system to me is pretty much the same as the buying agency system. I would honestly like to see a good scholarly study comparing the two methods. Something tells me that the no haggling set up will be a little more than the negotiation method but I don't think by a lot more.

With all the research methods today. I doubt prices are going to be higher. I also don't think the prices will be anywhere near MSRP. I also don't believe an all haggle system will succeed. I am glad to see they have both system available.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-18-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed 100%, it's far from rocket science to understand that prices change and consumer value changes when systemic overhaul causes costs and incentive to change. But you stated the problem yourself - you refuse even to acknowledge the possibility that these things change.

Then again, the mere fact that you could even suggest that an entire industry composed of nothing but middlemen could possibly cause end-user prices to drop may indicate that perhaps it is rocket science, at least to some.
Were not talking about systematic change to the industry. This is one carmaker flirting with no haggle pricing. This is not the sort of fundamentally different approach you see with Tesla, for instance. Of course things can change, but this is not going to be what makes it change is my point. The same fundamental system will exist, the only thing that will change is individual dealers ability to compete with each other for our business. And sorry, I don't see how that doesn't cause consumers to pay more.

Depends on how much they want to satisfy customers. This isn't the 1950s any more....or even the 1980s. There is enormous pressure, nowadays, to do well in the Consumer-Reports and J.D. Power customer-satisfaction surveys. The sales-experience satisfaction for customers is a significant part of those surveys
i'll give you a little insight....nobody wants to satisfy customers more than they want to make money. Businesses exist to make money, they want to satisfy customers to the end where it makes them more money. Survey results don't pay the bills, profits pay the bills.
Old 05-18-17, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. The no haggle system to me is pretty much the same as the buying agency system. I would honestly like to see a good scholarly study comparing the two methods. Something tells me that the no haggling set up will be a little more than the negotiation method but I don't think by a lot more.

With all the research methods today. I doubt prices are going to be higher. I also don't think the prices will be anywhere near MSRP. I also don't believe an all haggle system will succeed. I am glad to see they have both system available.

Not only that, but many customers today want (or expect dealerships to have all kinds of amenities......coffee/latte machines, snack bars, play areas for the kiddies, car washes, etc..... And, of course, I like to get my (and my guest's) supply of free D.C. Auto-Show passes each year, which are given out at local-area dealerships......each regular free pass is worth $12 or more, with the VIP show passes up to $48 apiece). That kind of stuff doesn't come as a free lunch....dealerships probably couldn't afford most of that if they charged rock-bottom on every sale.
Old 05-18-17, 08:16 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's not just the price but also the value to the end consumer. Prices will necessarily have a relative drop because costs will drop, but we'll also see added value because dealers won't feel the need to option their cars with high-margin BS just to up the sticker. Perfect example of this was right after the GS-F came out and I was at a Lexus dealership that had THREE of them just sitting in the showroom unsold. All three were chock full of dealer options like tint, clearbra, wheel protector, etc. etc. etc. Why? Because they knew they were going to have to discount them to move them anyway, so the dealer loaded them all up with hundreds/thousands in extra dealer options so they can appear to discount the cars even more - even though those options cost pennies on the dollar. Based on this thread, I'm sure a buyer who wouldn't even have wanted tints / clear bra / whatever would have eaten that all up, hook line and sinker.

Under a system where the dealers actually have to move cars without negotiation, there's no incentive for this BS. In order to sell cars, Lexus will have to option the cars the way the end consumer wants them and price the cars the way the end consumer wants them.

The incentives are all messed up in the current system - because the negotiation scheme is nothing more than a sales gimmick. As I've said before, it's like the shady kiosks at the outlet mall that say "50% off today" but those signs are up every day. Be naive enough and you will feel good about getting a deal "today". To me, it's amazing the lengths people will put themselves through just to have a utterly faux feel-good feeling.
Old 05-18-17, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The incentives are all messed up in the current system - because the negotiation scheme is nothing more than a sales gimmick. As I've said before, it's like the shady kiosks at the outlet mall that say "50% off today" but those signs are up every day. Be naive enough and you will feel good about getting a deal "today". To me, it's amazing the lengths people will put themselves through just to have a utterly faux feel-good feeling.
LOL, to me what you're describing IS LexusPlus. The "LexusPlus" price is the "deal" that's up every day that you think is a great deal because they're showing you a fake retail price in comparison. Exactly the same thing.

How is comparison son shopping offers from competing dealers, using that competition to reach a bottom price and purchasing the car the same as what you describe?!
Old 05-18-17, 09:09 PM
gengar

LOL, to me what you're describing IS LexusPlus.
The intention of Lexus Plus isn't to fool customers into thinking that there is a deal today that won't be there tomorrow. But given how much you've had to reach for straws throughout this thread, I'm not at all surprised by your comment.
Old 05-18-17, 09:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, whatever you say.

Quick Reply: Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs