Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...

Well, we've made the decision to part with the Sedona. The van has been great, no issues aside from brakes that warped and glazed badly but thats been common with all asian cars I've had. Very solid, no creaks or rattles, very happy with Kia/Hyundai in that front and I would definitely buy another. Also happy with the van overall as a vehicle, good looking for a van, drives well, comfortable, well built and nice quality interior. Biggest drivability problem is the lazy transmission. Doesn't bother my wife but when I drive it on a trip, the trans is VERY reluctant to downshift which makes it a chore to drive with any sort of hustle. That wouldn't get me out of it though.

The fatal flaw with the Sedona for us is the inability to access the third row with carseats in the middle row. More modern vans such as the Pacifica and the upcoming Odyssey have designed around this problem, and for us the benefits of that will get us out of the Sedona for sure. We have 2 year old twins, so the middle row will be occupied by carseats for the foreseeable future. We went out to dinner yesterday for mothers day for instance with the kids and my 70 year old mother and had to take two cars, which is exactly what we bought a minivan to avoid. Sure you can climb in through the rear hatch...but my mom isn't young enough to ask her to do that. Sure one of us could have climbed into the back, but with all their gear in the trunk it was also very difficult to be able to clear a way to do that. If we were accessing through the second row you could just shove everything over and raise one third row seat. Climbing in through the back means you basically have to empty the whole cargo area, not worth it for a short drive to a restaurant. With no utility from the third row, I may as well stay in a crossover I would like more as a vehicle.

Another issue going forward is the lack of rear seat entertainment on the Sedona now that they are forward facing and getting older.

We picked out a replacement, fully loaded Pacifica Limited with all the toys, $49,500 or so, discounted about $8,000 with little effort. The Pacifica's second row seats tip forward to allow access to the third row with carseats installed, and the rear seat entertainment is very good. No lounge seating in the second row like we have in the Sedona, but you do have the stow-n-go seats which are cool, although we won't ever use them, as we never used the lounge seats since carseats will always be buckled in.

What killed the deal was what I was afraid of, the resale value of the Sedona. Our lease had about 10 months to go, although the van only has 19,000 miles on it. Payoff was $28k, best they could do was $24k on a loaded SX-L, $44k MSRP. As much as we would have liked to have had the new van before our trip with my mom to the beach this summer, not worth being $4k in the hole so we will wait, we'll get to check out the Odyssey also although I'm sure it will cost way more than the Pacifica with the steep discounts they're offering. New Odyssey also has a sliding magic seat that allows access to the third row. Overall I have no doubt the Odyssey will be the superior product to the Pacifica, but my guess is overall it will cost $8-10k more than a comparable Pacifica, which means we'll have a new Pacifica lol.

I will likely try again in July right before our trip, and if that doesn't work we'll just wait until the end of the lease and turn it in.

Overall the Sedona is a much better looking van than the Pacifica inside and out, tech is better in the Pacifica, Pacifica rides nicer and is much quieter, feels like a more upscale vehicle. If it weren't for the third row access issue though we would likely buy the Sedona out and keep it, with such low miles no reason not to but that issue is big enough for us to move on. Glad I leased it...

Would definitely buy another Kia/Hyundai product, overall the Sedona is a good effort but lacks a few key areas that manufacturers more experienced designing minivans have mastered. I'm sure Kia will address those in the next gen Sedona.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-15-17 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The fatal flaw with the Sedona for us is the inability to access the second row with carseats in the middle row.
No quite sure I follow you on this one, Steve.....did you mean access to the third-row seats? (you mentioned, in a worst-case scenario, having to have your Mom crawl in through the rear hatch).

What killed the deal was what I was afraid of, the resale value of the Sedona. Our lease had about 10 months to go, although the van only has 19,000 miles on it. Payoff was $28k, best they could do was $24k on a loaded SX-L, $44k MSRP.
That reflects what I was saying earlier, in other threads.....Hyundai and Kia products aren't getting the respect on the used-car market that they deserve, thus the relatively low residual values. That's not necessarily the vehicle's fault....that's the car-buying public, in their attitudes towards Hyundai and Kia, being a decade or more behind the times.

we'll get to check out the Odyssey also although I'm sure it will cost way more than the Pacifica with the steep discounts they're offering. New Odyssey also has a sliding magic seat that allows access to the third row. Overall I have no doubt the Odyssey will be the superior product to the Pacifica, but my guess is overall it will cost $8-10k more than a comparable Pacifica, which means we'll have a new Pacifica lol.
The Odyssey, though, doesn't seem to be the reliability staple that it once was. If you look on the Honda forums, many owners are reporting problems and early failures.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-17 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 07:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, access to the third row seats. I will change the post.

I get it with the resale. That's why I leased it, glad I did! $20,000 in 2 years and 19,000 miles is flagship luxury car level loss!
Old 05-15-17, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

we'll get to check out the Odyssey also although I'm sure it will cost way more than the Pacifica with the steep discounts they're offering. New Odyssey also has a sliding magic seat that allows access to the third row. Overall I have no doubt the Odyssey will be the superior product to the Pacifica, but my guess is overall it will cost $8-10k more than a comparable Pacifica, which means we'll have a new Pacifica lol.
The Odyssey, though, doesn't seem to be the reliability staple that it once was. If you look on the Honda forums, many owners are reporting problems and early failures.
Old 05-15-17, 07:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, we've made the decision to part with the Sedona. The van has been great, no issues aside from brakes that warped and glazed badly but thats been common with all asian cars I've had. Very solid, no creaks or rattles, very happy with Kia/Hyundai in that front and I would definitely buy another. Also happy with the van overall as a vehicle, good looking for a van, drives well, comfortable, well built and nice quality interior. Biggest drivability problem is the lazy transmission. Doesn't bother my wife but when I drive it on a trip, the trans is VERY reluctant to downshift which makes it a chore to drive with any sort of hustle. That wouldn't get me out of it though.

The fatal flaw with the Sedona for us is the inability to access the third row with carseats in the middle row. More modern vans such as the Pacifica and the upcoming Odyssey have designed around this problem, and for us the benefits of that will get us out of the Sedona for sure. We have 2 year old twins, so the middle row will be occupied by carseats for the foreseeable future. We went out to dinner yesterday for mothers day for instance with the kids and my 70 year old mother and had to take two cars, which is exactly what we bought a minivan to avoid. Sure you can climb in through the rear hatch...but my mom isn't young enough to ask her to do that. Sure one of us could have climbed into the back, but with all their gear in the trunk it was also very difficult to be able to clear a way to do that. If we were accessing through the second row you could just shove everything over and raise one third row seat. Climbing in through the back means you basically have to empty the whole cargo area, not worth it for a short drive to a restaurant. With no utility from the third row, I may as well stay in a crossover I would like more as a vehicle.

Another issue going forward is the lack of rear seat entertainment on the Sedona now that they are forward facing and getting older.

We picked out a replacement, fully loaded Pacifica Limited with all the toys, $49,500 or so, discounted about $8,000 with little effort. The Pacifica's second row seats tip forward to allow access to the third row with carseats installed, and the rear seat entertainment is very good. No lounge seating in the second row like we have in the Sedona, but you do have the stow-n-go seats which are cool, although we won't ever use them, as we never used the lounge seats since carseats will always be buckled in.

What killed the deal was what I was afraid of, the resale value of the Sedona. Our lease had about 10 months to go, although the van only has 19,000 miles on it. Payoff was $28k, best they could do was $24k on a loaded SX-L, $44k MSRP. As much as we would have liked to have had the new van before our trip with my mom to the beach this summer, not worth being $4k in the hole so we will wait, we'll get to check out the Odyssey also although I'm sure it will cost way more than the Pacifica with the steep discounts they're offering. New Odyssey also has a sliding magic seat that allows access to the third row. Overall I have no doubt the Odyssey will be the superior product to the Pacifica, but my guess is overall it will cost $8-10k more than a comparable Pacifica, which means we'll have a new Pacifica lol.

I will likely try again in July right before our trip, and if that doesn't work we'll just wait until the end of the lease and turn it in.

Overall the Sedona is a much better looking van than the Pacifica inside and out, tech is better in the Pacifica, Pacifica rides nicer and is much quieter, feels like a more upscale vehicle. If it weren't for the third row access issue though we would likely buy the Sedona out and keep it, with such low miles no reason not to but that issue is big enough for us to move on. Glad I leased it...

Would definitely buy another Kia/Hyundai product, overall the Sedona is a good effort but lacks a few key areas that manufacturers more experienced designing minivans have mastered. I'm sure Kia will address those in the next gen Sedona.
Yes, turning in a lease early can really kill the deal alright. Adding in those additional payments to the new car payments can give you a shocking outcome. I've done it before. Never again. We haven't even looked at a replacement car yet, and our lease is up on our '13 Infiniti G37 on June 3. We are going to ride this one out!

BTW, strongly leaning toward the new Mazda CX-5. The interior has a very "Audi feel", so it should go nice with our A4.
Old 05-15-17, 07:50 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad how this worked out

Would hate to see you risk your family's safety in a Chrysler product

A million Rams just recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-17, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whatever we get we're only going to have for 3 years...then the kids will be 5.5-6ish and we'll go back to an SUV, not worried about reliability.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, turning in a lease early can really kill the deal alright. Adding in those additional payments to the new car payments can give you a shocking outcome. I've done it before. Never again. We haven't even looked at a replacement car yet, and our lease is up on our '13 Infiniti G37 on June 3. We are going to ride this one out!

BTW, strongly leaning toward the new Mazda CX-5. The interior has a very "Audi feel", so it should go nice with our A4.
Oh yeah I figured it was a crapshoot, worth a shot, not going to take a hit on it its a perfectly nice vehicle and we'll drive it until the end of the lease. I've actually had pretty good luck getting out of leases, the 2014 Jeep I traded 11 months into the lease, so 25 months remaining and got out no problem. But Jeeps have great resale, Kia Sedonas not so much lol

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Glad how this worked out

Would hate to see you risk your family's safety in a Chrysler product

A million Rams just recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, I'm not worried about it. Had two Jeeps, Chryslers don't scare me.
Old 05-15-17, 08:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

With 10 lease payments left, no surprise you're upside down on it, lol.
pacifica is really nice.
Old 05-15-17, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With 10 lease payments left, no surprise you're upside down on it, lol.
pacifica is really nice.
Yeah I wasn't particularly surprised. Although like I said, I traded out of the 2011 Jeep at this stage clean, the 2014 Jeep I traded out clean with 25 to go, my ES350 I was 8 months early and $1,000 cash positive, my GS was about 9 months early and I got killed there, but the deal was so good on the LS it was okay lol

KBB on the Sedona was right at my payoff so it was worth a shot. The salesman trying to sell me on doing it was pretty funny lol.
Old 05-16-17, 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

2 things... your other trades were to same brand in both cases i think (jeep to another jeep, lexus to lexus) and even if kbb value of sedona was same as payoff, the chrysler dealer still has to make money on selling your sedona and i don't see how you/they can get out of the cost of the remaining lease payments or maybe i'm missing something.

still, worth a shot.

of course nearer lease end the sedona will have gone down in value a bit, so the difference will increase but you know this...
Old 05-16-17, 05:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No the 2014 Jeep was to Kia for the Sedona. They actually were even able to meet the higher payoff from Ally. Ally has two different payoffs, one if you sell it to Jeep or buy it yourself, another if you sell it to a third party or trade it into a competing dealer, very shady. Figured out the payoff was $3k more than I thought when they called for the payoff, but they met it. Sold the Jeep for more than they gave me for it to, about $2k more. I know I had a bottom deal on the Sedona also.

I think it just comes down to used Grand Cherokees sell great, used Sedona not so much. If it were a Sienna or Odyssey I bet I could have gotten out of it. I may even be able to now on the Sedona by shopping around but I'm not that motivated to do it, waiting isn't a big deal.
Old 05-16-17, 07:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

I had a Pacifica as a rental on a recent business trip--there were 5 of us, so it was the most logical option--and found it to be quite nice. I don't think ours was the top trim, but it definitely had a luxury car feel to it. Too bad the deal didn't work out as you hoped.
Old 05-16-17, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I had a Pacifica as a rental on a recent business trip--there were 5 of us, so it was the most logical option--and found it to be quite nice. I don't think ours was the top trim, but it definitely had a luxury car feel to it. Too bad the deal didn't work out as you hoped.
Yeah it's the best driving Minivan for sure. No big deal, it will work out when the time is right!
Old 05-16-17, 08:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Biggest drivability problem is the lazy transmission. Doesn't bother my wife but when I drive it on a trip, the trans is VERY reluctant to downshift which makes it a chore to drive with any sort of hustle. That wouldn't get me out of it though.
I rented a T+C (brand new) 2 years when we took a trip to Florida.
That was the biggest issue I had with it. I cursed that damn thing every time I took it out.

I couldn't wait to get back into my sienna when we got back

Hopefully the pacifica's transmission is not lazy like these older caravan/T+C.
Old 05-16-17, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't have any issues with the transmission in the Pacificas that I've driven. I've driven. I've probably driven 3, my wife 1.

Quick Reply: Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...