Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche builds 1 millionth 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 09:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd get a Cayman S over a basic 911 or 911 S model any day of the week, it has better weight balance with the engine right behind the driver, is lighter, and is 70-80k, not 100-150k like the 911.
+1, my thoughts exactly....but I think most that get the 911 are going for the status rather than the best handling Porsche.
Old 05-13-17, 03:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1, my thoughts exactly....but I think most that get the 911 are going for the status rather than the best handling Porsche.
Which is why I've never been a big Porsche fan. The snobbery and elitism of owning a Porsche kind of rubs me the wrong way. That goes for the non-enthusiasts that buy the new ones as status symbols, and some(not all) of the enthusiasts who collect the rare/expensive vintage models and kind of like to brag about how rare/expensive their vintage Porsche is, how its just shot up in value.
Old 05-13-17, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Which is why I've never been a big Porsche fan. The snobbery and elitism of owning a Porsche kind of rubs me the wrong way. That goes for the non-enthusiasts that buy the new ones as status symbols, and some(not all) of the enthusiasts who collect the rare/expensive vintage models and kind of like to brag about how rare/expensive their vintage Porsche is, how its just shot up in value.
The people who sell them can also have this sense of elitism. Several years ago I stopped by a Porsche dealership with a friend, while waiting for his Fusion to be serviced at the Ford store down the road. The cars in the showroom were unlocked so we sat in a rather plebeian Cayman, when all of a sudden a sales person and manager approached us and informed us we were not allowed to sit in the cars. I was shocked, we weren't doing anything to the car, we weren't dressed like bums, and they saw me pulling up to their dealer in my Lexus, with their large outward facing windows towards guest parking. Suffice to say we left and didn't come back. Walked next door to the Audi dealership and sat in an R8 in the showroom, no issues, a bored salesperson even offered to let us drive a S4. Amazing how a single experience can have an effect on a person's outlook on a brand. I do love Porsche vehicles, but I don't like the sense of entitlement that sometimes comes with owning or being around them.
Old 05-13-17, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The people who sell them can also have this sense of elitism. Several years ago I stopped by a Porsche dealership with a friend, while waiting for his Fusion to be serviced at the Ford store down the road. The cars in the showroom were unlocked so we sat in a rather plebeian Cayman, when all of a sudden a sales person and manager approached us and informed us we were not allowed to sit in the cars. I was shocked, we weren't doing anything to the car, we weren't dressed like bums, and they saw me pulling up to their dealer in my Lexus, with their large outward facing windows towards guest parking. Suffice to say we left and didn't come back. Walked next door to the Audi dealership and sat in an R8 in the showroom, no issues, a bored salesperson even offered to let us drive a S4. Amazing how a single experience can have an effect on a person's outlook on a brand. I do love Porsche vehicles, but I don't like the sense of entitlement that sometimes comes with owning or being around them.
Agreed that Porsche dealerships can be stuffy, arrogant, and aristocratic, though that was more the case decades ago than it is now, when they have more competition and more alternatives where mistreated customers can go. I'm sorry that you had to run into one of the remaining examples of the old-time shops....such is the luck of the draw. In general, though, they are becoming fewer and fewer each year, as courtesy to the customer is paramount today. For instance, I did not run into any problems, even several years ago, when I did my Porsche Boxster or Panamera reviews. In fact, one CL moderator (I won't mention his name, because he knows who he is) told me he thought the Panamera review I did was the best one I had done up to that time.
Old 05-13-17, 06:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Funny reading some comments here.

911 is probably the greatest true sports car of all time that has evolved and never lost its way or what their customer base expects. Yes they are Expensive and some of the options are crazy but I rather have the option to pick exactly what i want then just get stupid packages that make you take it or leave it.

There is truly no competitor to the 911 - everyone has tried and nobody has come close to succeeding.
911 is a sub brand to itself with its various trim lines including GT3, Turbo, GTS etc.

You have also a community that is unmatched especially if you want to track the car or just be part of a local car club.

BTW if you want to experience snobbery, just go to Ferrari dealer.
You can't blame some of these dealers either, for every 1 real customer they probably get 100 just to window shop.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-13-17 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 07:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd argue the Corvette is the 911's biggest competitor, at least in the world of motor sports and on track days. Although I don't think anybody ever cross shops them, you're either a Porsche or Corvette guy. Being a Corvette guy does save you a lot of $$$$ though. Also now that top line Porsches like the GT3 and Turbo are so so expensive, you can start thinking of buying something carbon fiber and mid-engined, like a McLaren, Audi R8, or the fabulous Benz AMG GT-R,
Old 05-14-17, 08:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
A corvette drives completely different than a 911.
The build quality between the two is vastly different as well.
There is a reason Corvettes cost half of what a 911 goes for.

New 911 GT3 goes for about $150-160k MSRP.
Thats way cheaper than Audi R8 or any McLaren. It will most likely outperform them as well.
AMG-GT is probably closest in terms of price/performance but a 911 Turbo S will outperform it in any measurable way.
Old 05-14-17, 09:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Id hope so, Turbo S is 190k, AMG GTS is 130k. Rather have an AMG GTS with a V8 and classic coupe proportions, instead of looking like every other 911 out there
Old 05-14-17, 09:48 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

4Teh

Could you please elaborate on your point of the AMG GTS having classic coupe proportions?

I have seen the MB McLaren, SLS and AMG GTS as being very long nosed.

An Aston Martin DB8 for example felt more like a car with classic proportions.
Old 05-14-17, 11:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Id hope so, Turbo S is 190k, AMG GTS is 130k. Rather have an AMG GTS with a V8 and classic coupe proportions, instead of looking like every other 911 out there
I was comparing the Turbo S to the MB GTR.
911 S is the competitor to the MB GTS.

MB did a great job and both cars are great.
I think most people prefer the 911 though if they had a choice.
Old 05-14-17, 02:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I was comparing the Turbo S to the MB GTR.
911 S is the competitor to the MB GTS.

MB did a great job and both cars are great.
I think most people prefer the 911 though if they had a choice.
​​​​​​I just went through the choices between Porsche 911's and the AMG GT 's, I would pick the AMG GTS over the 911S and 911 GTS regardless of price, but would prefer the 911 Turbo S if price not a consideration.
I settled for the AMG GTS since the Turbo S is a little more than what I want to spend on a " toy " car, plus the 911 look is too common on the road.
Old 05-14-17, 05:32 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I am late to the party and I haven't read the rest of the comments but the green is more Alpine green then an Irish green. The Alpine green keeps true to German heritage.

It is pretty impressive to see that they sold so many 911's. I wonder the amount of 911's that Jerry Seinfeld owns helped a bit
Old 05-15-17, 04:34 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What a tremendous milestone for them. I think they did a nice job with the build. Some throwbacks mixed in with the new.

Old 05-15-17, 04:47 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I got to experience this somewhat first hand.

My friend took me for a spin in his boxster when he first got it. As we pulled up to a red light next to a 911, my friend says "watch this, this guy won't wave back." Sure enough, the guy checks out my friend's car and see it's a lowly boxster, and gave a snob look and just drove off. He says all the 911 that he encounters are the same.

It could be the superiority complex of a 911 over a boxster, but there's no comradery at all.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-15-17 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 07:54 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I find the P car crowd to be nice enough.

Last week and guy in a new silver 911 variant saw the NSX and sped up to come visit.

He did the pull up about to half a nose back in the next lane thing and stared for a while, I slowed a bit and we exchanged waves.

Quick Reply: Porsche builds 1 millionth 911