Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why can't Lexus make a cheap LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 01:34 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vital
Keep the body design but non carbon fiber and have the same engine and performance specs as the RC F for $65k. If Lexus made this available for $65k, would people not buy it?
Um, just the engine cost alone precludes a $65k retail price... and the idea that a chassis can be modified from one material to another simply by replacing the material is completely ridiculous.

The better argument is that Lexus should have done something with the aluminum chassis of the earlier prototype, since apparently it had already been fully developed.
Old 05-10-17, 11:46 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The more important question for Lexus is why can't they build an SUV that attacks the Range Rover market

the 86 is a cheap crap box that is fun to drive, too small to be a Lexus anyway
They did. It's called the Lexus LX.

The Lexus IS350C is a small Lexus.
Old 05-11-17, 07:30 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The LX is a badge engineered Land Cruiser that in no way (except for quality and durability) wins in the space Range Rovers lavish in

lexus needs a cool looking big brick with super luxe interior, akin to the new LC

the IS convertible was a loser relative to the 3 series and has gone bye bye and was much bigger than the you have no money for a real car but want some place to put a garish wing 86

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 05-11-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 10:55 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They tried and missed swinging with the RC-F.

Too overstyled, too heavy, and an ugly boy racer interior with heaps of plastic in the center console.

Overall, it's just not up to snuff with the competition.
Old 05-11-17, 10:14 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Land Rover are unreliable pieces of $*** anyway, I'd take a LX anyday, even if has slightly smaller space. In the long run, the LX wins hands down.

If you want the luxury, you'd get a Mercedes or a Hummer.

99% of Land Rover owners don't even off-road their cars anyway, which, in my opinion, is like a single man living alone buying a new minivan for himself.

Last edited by b2884987; 05-11-17 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 05:02 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I never said Range Rover had good quality

they have exterior style, high end interiors and are coddle the passengers

the vehicle exists to make the owner look significant when they take their friends out to expensive dining venues

lexus has been completely high on stupid pills to not build a non frame rails big super luxe SUV
Old 05-12-17, 06:38 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vital
Keep the body design but non carbon fiber and have the same engine and performance specs as the RC F for $65k. If Lexus made this available for $65k, would people not buy it?
1. Super cars are not cheap.

2. Development of super cars is not cheap.

3. Building a V10 fro scratch is not cheap.

4. Building a limited production super car and trying to make up some of the costs will ensure it isn't cheap.

In conclusion, this business is not cheap and will not be cheap.
Old 05-12-17, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
Land Rover are unreliable pieces of $*** anyway,
Not quite as much now as in the past......though they still rank quite low on today's reliabilty-scale.
Old 05-12-17, 07:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

This thread is about LFA clones, not SUVs
Old 05-12-17, 08:25 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
They tried and missed swinging with the RC-F.

Too overstyled, too heavy, and an ugly boy racer interior with heaps of plastic in the center console.

Overall, it's just not up to snuff with the competition.
What were they thinking with that center console? I actually like the exterior styling except for the hood, which looks too bulged for my tastes. The biggest problem is it's nearly 4000lbs and a lack of torque! WTF?!?!?! This car really gets me angry, such a waste. I really wanted to like it when I was in the market. This video was the nail in the coffin for me:

Old 05-12-17, 05:45 PM
Tketrns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
What were they thinking with that center console? I actually like the exterior styling except for the hood, which looks too bulged for my tastes. The biggest problem is it's nearly 4000lbs and a lack of torque! WTF?!?!?! This car really gets me angry, such a waste. I really wanted to like it when I was in the market. This video was the nail in the coffin for me
I watched the video. I definitely agree with what Chris says. Its not a car for the track, others are faster and have more feeling of speed. I would still like to ride in one myself and make my own decision. Im sure for the average person it would do everything and more. Over time the RC-F may cost less to own than the germans. I dont see any others with that halloween paint job so it will stand out as well. The next generation with the twin turbo v-6 will definitely make up for performance. Time will tell.
Old 05-12-17, 08:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
What were they thinking with that center console? I actually like the exterior styling except for the hood, which looks too bulged for my tastes. The biggest problem is it's nearly 4000lbs and a lack of torque! WTF?!?!?! This car really gets me angry, such a waste. I really wanted to like it when I was in the market. This video was the nail in the coffin for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJm4DcbuXg
The funny thing is, all the people who complain about about stuff like "it weights 4000lbs blah blah blah" are the same people that probably never have stepped foot on the track with their M3 or whatever "race" car they think they own.

I know a few guys with the new M3 and M4 and they all sht about how heavy and sloppy those cars are on the track as well. Let's just say those cars are long gone and traded for either a Z06 or GT4.

Do you take your M3 family sedan to the track? Why not buy something lighter, half the size, with 3 pedals and actually enjoy the experience? How about a track built S2000 or a Miata? That's a hell lot more fun and cheaper to use on the track and will run circles around all these stock "super sedans". I don't consider this class of cars true track cars because they are not and the second you get on the track you will realize that when a Miata with half the power blows past you.
Old 05-12-17, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am not even sure if this thread makes sense at all?

you can't just have a chassis and throw in some engine and call it a day. this is toyota, they have a reputation to keep. they are not chinese manufacturer that only cares about copying and trying to get attention. a lot of engineering and considering has to go into place. so many things on the lfa is bespoke and that the rcf engine just doesn't fit in like that. the tranny doesn't even fit for crying out loud
Old 05-12-17, 10:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

They tried with the original LFA, but failed. When it was first announced, it was said to be priced in the low $100's. As each quarter slipped by, the price rose another $25-50k, and so on. By the time it was released, all hell had broken loose. Then, they only produce a tiny tiny amount and close the doors. Double kick in the butt. At least the similar Audi R8 story landed closer to original promises.

I always look back at the LFA story as a brilliant machine that boosted a brand, but shafted the public. Stuff like that chaps my hide, but whatever.
Old 05-12-17, 11:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Audi also had a bit of in house expertise(Lamborghini) on building a mid-engine, carbon fiber sports car. They also had a good starting point on the R8, the Gallardo had been in production for several years. Also Audi and Lamborghini cranked the volume up on both the R8 and Gallardo to make sure they made money on their R&D costs(interesting note, Lamborghini has made more Gallardos than all of their other car models combined, since the company was founded).

Toyota really didn't have any idea on how to make an exotic, carbon fiber super car, they had never done it before. They had the raw engineering talent and corporate will to give us something awesome, the LFA, but once again it was beset by a bunch of delays and cost over-runs. Toyota really had no idea on how to make the LFA cost effective to where they could ramp up production and make money on it. I doubt Toyota is willing to go down the exotic car rabbit-hole again, considering how much $$$ they lost on the LFA.

Quick Reply: Why can't Lexus make a cheap LFA?