Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why sometimes numbers and car reviews don't matter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 01:22 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Why sometimes numbers and car reviews don't matter.

There are quite a bit new posts lately about Lexus vs Audi vs BMW vs Mercedes and what is more sporty, what is more prestigious, the most bang for the buck, the most reliable, etc etc. We throw out numbers, 'ring times, curb weight, hp, C&D articles, all the things that try to tell us which car is the best. Sometimes I get reminded that it's not always about that.

Old 05-08-17, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, a touching story, but the part that was conveniently left out is that, driving at that kind of speed on a public road, he himself (and maybe others) could have been a casualty before he ever got to the hospital and had a chance to say a last good-bye to his ill father. As it was, he survived that fast run to the hospital...but it was probably rolling the dice.
Old 05-08-17, 07:52 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, a touching story, but the part that was conveniently left out is that, driving at that kind of speed on a public road, he himself (and maybe others) could have been a casualty before he ever got to the hospital and had a chance to say a last good-bye to his ill father. As it was, he survived that fast run to the hospital...but it was probably rolling the dice.
Maybe he was on the Autobahn?

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
True... a great many intangibles collectively form our bias towards our chosen... vehicles… pursuits… ideologies… etc. One person's priority is another person's folly.

...although I would have never pegged JC as a sentimental chap.
Even the crustiest of us have people we genuinely care for.
Old 05-08-17, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Maybe he was on the Autobahn?
He mentioned the hospital in Sheffield...I assumed that was in Britain, not on a German-style (speed-unlimited) Autobahn.

Even the crustiest of us have people we genuinely care for.
.........and when you lose a parent, that is someone who helped to actually bring you into the world and raise you. You literally owe your life to them.
Old 05-09-17, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I always liked that car, what's not to like......but I think the one that me and a buddy rode in where the salesman almost wrecked, was older, maybe '88 or so.....

I know at the time Porschfiles had an issue with it being water cooled, front engined, and mainly autos.

edit: If you notice the trend, today, all sport/sporty steering wheels are 3-spoked. Back then, the optional Porsche wheel was 4 spoke (like the one in the video), if you go back far enough. Isn't it hilarious that 16" forged rims were optional in 1985, and standard were cast aluminum 15's (remember the phone dial rims)....what a *** **** elusive dream (Porsche)....at least for me....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-09-17 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I always liked that car, what's not to like......but I think the one that me and a buddy rode in where the salesman almost wrecked, was older, maybe '88 or so.....

I know at the time Porschfiles had an issue with it being water cooled, front engined, and mainly autos.
Back then, before the snap-oversteer problems on the rear-engined Porsches were improved with better components and engineering, a front-engined Porsche probably had some appeal to those who wanted to canyon-carve without the constant danger of spinning out. And air-cooled engines were having a tough time meeting emission standards....partly because it was harder to get even combustion-temperatures in each cylinder than with water-jackets and liquid-cooling. And all but the most dedicated Porsche enthusiasts were starting to get tired of the constant chuffling and rattling-noises from the air-cooled engines......liquid-cooled engines usually run much quieter. As an ex-pilot, I put up with the noise of the air-cooled "Boxer" flat-four and flat-six engines in General Aviation aircraft for years.
Old 05-09-17, 07:31 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
i don't think he meant that he was actually driving that quickly, but rather that he was in a car capable of driving that quickly which expedited his trip to sheffield from london.
Old 05-09-17, 07:58 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviews/comparisons are frequently junk because (a) the writers/editors are highly biased and (b) they don't think from the perspective of a typical consumer in the segment.

For example, despite its watered-down driving dynamics, the 3-series is still one of the Top 2-3 most well-rounded vehicles in its class. Everything is well thought out and refined. However, in Motor Trend's lame "499/month $0 down?" comparison is placed next to last. Absolute blasphemy, considering you can't even get more than half the cars in that comparison at that price point.

Then you have the recent C&D comparison placing the new 5-series next to last. It's an excellent car and even a notch above the new E-class. Every comparison from Europe has pitted it as the best in class yet C&D has a vendetta against BMW cause they no longer make the E39. The amount of bias is just ridiculous. It's been 20 yrs since the E39 was in production, tech and appeasing to Asian markets didn't exist then they way it does now. No car in that segment is truly fun to drive and they're all purchased by 50 yr old professionals with 2 kids and a dog. They are giving their clients what they want. The C&D reviewers don't have the money to afford such a car so they will never understand this.
Old 05-09-17, 08:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Reminds me of....
https://youtu.be/zxBmiGyqERg
Old 05-09-17, 09:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Reviews/comparisons are frequently junk because (a) the writers/editors are highly biased and (b) they don't think from the perspective of a typical consumer in the segment.

For example, despite its watered-down driving dynamics, the 3-series is still one of the Top 2-3 most well-rounded vehicles in its class. Everything is well thought out and refined. However, in Motor Trend's lame "499/month $0 down?" comparison is placed next to last. Absolute blasphemy, considering you can't even get more than half the cars in that comparison at that price point.

Then you have the recent C&D comparison placing the new 5-series next to last. It's an excellent car and even a notch above the new E-class. Every comparison from Europe has pitted it as the best in class yet C&D has a vendetta against BMW cause they no longer make the E39. The amount of bias is just ridiculous. It's been 20 yrs since the E39 was in production, tech and appeasing to Asian markets didn't exist then they way it does now. No car in that segment is truly fun to drive and they're all purchased by 50 yr old professionals with 2 kids and a dog. They are giving their clients what they want. The C&D reviewers don't have the money to afford such a car so they will never understand this.
Had to wonder, when everyone under the sun loved the new VW GTI (was it '15?), and Consumer Reports slammed it. Was VW late on its payment that month?

I had the pleasure of having one on business for a week in mid '15, except for the auto / DSG tranny, I loved it.

Having had that '16 328i x drive for 4 1/2 mos., and many loaners over the years in the F30 flavor, I cannot stand the electric power steering, it is 70's Caddy light, and going to sport+ doesn't help.....hopefully that gets fixed on the G series....lots of cost cutting like stamped steel control arms, etc., but that's more a sign of the times....

we autocrossed the G30 and I hate to say it, steering still too light....
Old 05-09-17, 12:01 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Had to wonder, when everyone under the sun loved the new VW GTI (was it '15?), and Consumer Reports slammed it. Was VW late on its payment that month?

I had the pleasure of having one on business for a week in mid '15, except for the auto / DSG tranny, I loved it.

Having had that '16 328i x drive for 4 1/2 mos., and many loaners over the years in the F30 flavor, I cannot stand the electric power steering, it is 70's Caddy light, and going to sport+ doesn't help.....hopefully that gets fixed on the G series....lots of cost cutting like stamped steel control arms, etc., but that's more a sign of the times....

we autocrossed the G30 and I hate to say it, steering still too light....
The GTI is making a comeback IMHO, such fun cars to drive. In a market of STI, WRSx and now the Type R, and Focus RS's that's a tall order. I just drove a Golf R and it's a blast. The clutch was high and the pedal altitude makes heel-toe a little awkward, and the throws are long, but the engine is smooth and powerful, it handles like a GTI should handle and the interior was nicely done. I've seen more and more Porsche enthusiasts choose the GTI/Golf R as their daily and now I can see why. A GT3 driver being happy in a GTI says a lot.