Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't understand how Mercedes C can outsell Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 11:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 4-cylinder turbocharged engines and 8-speed transmission in the IS 200t and the BMW 328i have the same spec numbers on paper but the Lexus is slower for some reason. I don't know the reason. It could be that the Lexus transmission is slower to respond or it could be that the Lexus engine is tuned for economy -- it runs on the more efficient but less powerful Atkinson Cycle at low engine loads.
Does Lexus have a launch mode? The 328i does. We're not talking about sport +, but launch mode...I tried it on my long-term loaner and the car was very quick. When I tried to do it a second time, the car refused. Has to do with temps, blah blah blah...
Old 05-05-17, 11:44 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 4-cylinder turbocharged engines and 8-speed transmission in the IS 200t and the BMW 328i have the same spec numbers on paper but the Lexus is slower for some reason. I don't know the reason. It could be that the Lexus transmission is slower to respond or it could be that the Lexus engine is tuned for economy -- it runs on the more efficient but less powerful Atkinson Cycle at low engine loads.

BMW's published numbers are widely known to be underrated. Some dynos have shown that the published numbers for some BMWs are actually closer to the power to the wheels than the power at the crank.

For instance, the 340i has been shown to show 331hp to the wheels STOCK vs it's published 320hp.
source: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35355

The 2012 328i put down 226 at the wheels stock vs it's published 240 at the crank. That's approximately 265+ hp at the crank.
source: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=646824

As a former owner of both a F30 328i and a 340i, they are in fact severely underrated, and not immediately apparent on a test drive. On a closed course, or open highway when no one is looking and you open it up do you realize that there is actually more power than you think there is. Economy/Efficient and Sport modes, to me, are very conservative. Sport + mode shows the true nature of the F30s.

Obviously, I'm BMW biased, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen to buy 3 of them in a row.
Old 05-05-17, 12:57 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
BMW's published numbers are widely known to be underrated. Some dynos have shown that the published numbers for some BMWs are actually closer to the power to the wheels than the power at the crank.

For instance, the 340i has been shown to show 331hp to the wheels STOCK vs it's published 320hp.
source: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35355

The 2012 328i put down 226 at the wheels stock vs it's published 240 at the crank. That's approximately 265+ hp at the crank.
source: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=646824

As a former owner of both a F30 328i and a 340i, they are in fact severely underrated, and not immediately apparent on a test drive. On a closed course, or open highway when no one is looking and you open it up do you realize that there is actually more power than you think there is. Economy/Efficient and Sport modes, to me, are very conservative. Sport + mode shows the true nature of the F30s.

Obviously, I'm BMW biased, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen to buy 3 of them in a row.
I've always felt that the BMWs feel much faster than their advertised numbers, Then again, the instant low-RPM torque realized may be a major contributor in one's feel of car's takeoff power. Suffice to say, BMWs ALWAYS felt faster to me than their Japanese competitors...note the word FELT.
Old 05-05-17, 02:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I find that the part aluminium bodied 3 Series is much lighter than the 175 lbs quoted above.
I am sceptical of the under-rated horsepower claims above.
I remind that it is also the high torque that gives quick acceleration from 0-60.
Old 05-05-17, 03:04 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current IS is a great car.

But aside from reliability, pricing, and handling it's not superior to the C-class in a single metric. The Lexus' boy racer interior doesn't help.
Old 05-05-17, 03:09 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I find that the part aluminium bodied 3 Series is much lighter than the 175 lbs quoted above.
I am sceptical of the under-rated horsepower claims above.
I remind that it is also the high torque that gives quick acceleration from 0-60.
I was skeptical too, coming from the JDM world, into VW and Audi, but the proof is in the pudding:

Like many dynos, it's just a baseline, but that EXACT same dyno at BMS was used for the is200t, 328i and 340i:

is200t, 203whp:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35256

328i, 233whp
I can't find a photo of BMS doing the stock run on the same dyno, but here is one for their e85 tune where you can see that the 328i is on the same dyno:
http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-dynojet-graph

Here are the results from the stock run for 233whp:
http://www.burgertuning.com/images/dynos/n20_jb4.jpg

Photo proof of same dyno:

So, it's a dynojet, and the numbers are going to read a bit higher than other dynos. But, what we can gleam from this is that the 240hp reported BMW 328i had more power to the wheels than the 241hp reported Lexus IS200t, by 30hp on the same dyno. That's not just a little, that's significant. This is in line with BMWs tendency to report worst case hp and torque dependent on temperture/elevation and Honda/Lexus/Toyota to tend to report near best case hp and torque numbers based on those same criteria. It's been like this for decades since before I was a young driver/enthusiast 20+ years ago. It's been debated over and over and accepted by many, denied by a few. If the 328i is quicker to 60, has more power based on THE EXACT SAME dyno... what's left to deny? What more proof is even possible?

Last edited by ragingf80; 05-05-17 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 09:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I see more new IS's than C's here in L.A. The IS is appealing to the testosterone boy-racers, and the C is appealing to people who want class and luxury. The IS also has a very aggressive lease rate. The C's dumpy/granny butt styling is the opposite of sporty. The IS' blocky interior is cold and dull. And so on...
I've said this a million times, I'd prefer a very sporty exterior, with a very luxurious interior. Best of both worlds. Nothing has been produced in the last eight years that meets those standards, hence me holding on to my 2IS.
Old 05-05-17, 10:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a old saying 'German horsepower' for a reason
bmw, specially M cars, I tent to see the factory rated HP as wheel power.
Old 05-05-17, 11:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Do those dynos take into account the weight of the car?
Because if so, it is just as well that the 3 Series has higher overall power figures, because after all, the part aluminium bodied 3 Series will be quicker than the IS in both straight line and around corners.
TMC is not only slow to the game with forced induction, they are also slow to the game with part aluminium bodied chassis.

It is the turbo torque curve, and the firm springing on floaty dampers which makes the current 3 Series less pleasant in a straight-line and around corners compared to the IS350.
Old 05-06-17, 12:13 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I see more new IS's than C's here in L.A. The IS is appealing to the testosterone boy-racers, and the C is appealing to people who want class and luxury. The IS also has a very aggressive lease rate. The C's dumpy/granny butt styling is the opposite of sporty. The IS' blocky interior is cold and dull. And so on...
I've said this a million times, I'd prefer a very sporty exterior, with a very luxurious interior. Best of both worlds. Nothing has been produced in the last eight years that meets those standards, hence me holding on to my 2IS.
Agreed. The C class styling leaves something to be desired. It's one of the reasons I opted out of the C63 AMG.
Old 05-06-17, 12:21 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
There is a old saying 'German horsepower' for a reason
bmw, specially M cars, I tent to see the factory rated HP as wheel power.
My M3 supposedly dynoed at 427whp stock on that same dyno. It's rated at 425, so that sounds about right.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Do those dynos take into account the weight of the car?
Because if so, it is just as well that the 3 Series has higher overall power figures, because after all, the part aluminium bodied 3 Series will be quicker than the IS in both straight line and around corners.
TMC is not only slow to the game with forced induction, they are also slow to the game with part aluminium bodied chassis.

It is the turbo torque curve, and the firm springing on floaty dampers which makes the current 3 Series less pleasant in a straight-line and around corners compared to the IS350.
wut? There is no magic here, the F30 is quicker and more powerful compared to it's IS counterpart. That doesn't mean it's a better car, so you don't have to make excuses for the IS. HP, torque and dyno numbers and are secondary to how you feel when you drive the car. If you don't enjoy driving a F30 over an IS350, by all means the IS350 is the better car for you.
Old 05-06-17, 12:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I just can't stand the C class roof line, specially towards the rear. More rear headroom but sacrifice the styling. The C63 AMG fixed it the rear a little with wider butt, but still...
Old 05-06-17, 12:25 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

My M3 supposedly dynoed at 427whp stock on that same dyno. It's rated at 425, so that sounds about right.

wut? There is no magic here, the F30 is quicker and more powerful compared to it's IS counterpart. That doesn't mean it's a better car, so you don't have to make excuses for the IS. HP, torque and dyno numbers and are secondary to how you feel when you drive the car. If you don't enjoy driving a F30 over an IS350, by all means the IS350 is the better car for you.

Yep, many X5M owners dyno'd theirs and rwhp came out 550-570. With tunes 640 easy.
Old 05-06-17, 01:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The Audi A4 has a nicer interior, is lighter, more powerful and has AWD. The BMW 330i is both lighter and more powerful as well as better balanced. There are plenty of nice sports sedans at $45k, and the IS isn't the most luxurious, nor the sportiest, nor the best selling.

Does that mean that the IS isn't the best sports sedan for someone? No, we all choose a car for a variety of reasons. We have an emotional attachment to something about the car that makes us say "that's the car for me". If we didn't, we'd all be driving the same cars.
Actually the Lexus IS is the better balanced and better driver's car compared to the 3 series. BMW only has the edge in powertrains since Lexus is in transition to newer powertrains.
Old 05-06-17, 06:44 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Actually the Lexus IS is the better balanced and better driver's car compared to the 3 series. BMW only has the edge in powertrains since Lexus is in transition to newer powertrains.
Hmmm if the Lexus 200t and the 8 speed box is part of the transition then they don't seem to me to be transitioning very well, seeing in particular comments earlier re power outputs imagined or real, so it doesnt inspire in me much confidence in future iterations. (And the acceleration in recently published tests in both NA and hybrid versions of the LC don't seem tested to be up to Lexus's claims...) oh dear....

Quick Reply: Don't understand how Mercedes C can outsell Lexus IS