Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2017 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i just talked to another mild mannered person who has had one toyota after another and was considering an suv next and a lexus until the spindle grill and in particular the new rx. i wasn't expecting the reaction i got but they got animated saying they HATE it. i don't think it's just the grill though, i think the busy side profile, awkward proportions, with massive front overhang and relatively short wheelbase... the sales are continuing based on a great driving character, very nice interior, and overall reputation.
i on the other hand is not surprised. couple friends of mine, they are not car guys, they just want good decent family car. they have been driving lexus for years, some of them had couple of RX's as well. they all say no to lexus. when i asked about the RX one ex-RX owner said he simply couldn't get past the front end. he's driving x5 now
Old 05-09-17, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, with the E and 5 delivering huge sales too... the GS sadly has limited options, drive trains, heck even availability in many places, so it really has a hard time competing.
it doesn't help when lexus is putting very little marketing on the car too. i see ads on other lexus, i see a lot of ads on the 5 and e. i don't see anything on the gs.

i am really worried if lexus really considers dropping it
Old 05-10-17, 07:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it doesn't help when lexus is putting very little marketing on the car too. i see ads on other lexus, i see a lot of ads on the 5 and e. i don't see anything on the gs.

They should drop it. Just make a short wheelbase LS and call it a day.
Old 05-10-17, 01:13 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

With the pace they're going, they'll be making bicycles soon.
Old 05-10-17, 02:18 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that the SPINDLE has spun...Lexus should have only used the spindle grille on more aggressive models such as IS/GS/RC, NOT the luxurious models ES/LS/RX. Many people love my 2008 GS350 front end. It is very luxurious looking. I understand Lexus wanted to stand out from the crowd, but I believe they have overdone it.
Old 05-10-17, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by situman
They should drop it. Just make a short wheelbase LS and call it a day.
i really doubt a swb LS can drive remotely as good as the GS. even the LS fsport doesn't carry the same kind of sportiness and driving dynamics of a mid-size sports sedan (and compared to e and 5)
Old 05-11-17, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

i really doubt a swb LS can drive remotely as good as the GS. even the LS fsport doesn't carry the same kind of sportiness and driving dynamics of a mid-size sports sedan (and compared to e and 5)
It's not always about driving dynamics, otherwise we will all be driving BMW's or Germans in general. Is someone willing to pay $60k for a SWB LS? Most likely yes. Is someone willing to pay $60k for a GS? Hmm sales data suggests not. It comes down to value proposition vs the ES and the GS loses.
Old 05-11-17, 06:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2008GS
I agree that the SPINDLE has spun...Lexus should have only used the spindle grille on more aggressive models such as IS/GS/RC, NOT the luxurious models ES/LS/RX. Many people love my 2008 GS350 front end. It is very luxurious looking. I understand Lexus wanted to stand out from the crowd, but I believe they have overdone it.
It just needs more refinement. The spindle grill on the LC and new LS looks great.
Old 05-11-17, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by situman
It's not always about driving dynamics, otherwise we will all be driving BMW's or Germans in general. Is someone willing to pay $60k for a SWB LS? Most likely yes. Is someone willing to pay $60k for a GS? Hmm sales data suggests not. It comes down to value proposition vs the ES and the GS loses.
and you think a swb LS will be 60k? that's a dream. if it's just a shortened wheel base LS chassis with gs level setup for 60k, then it's no difference than what they have now. your logic doesn't make sense

and if price is the problem on top of driving doesn't matter, then they might as well just 100% focus on the ES, which has the size AND price down already (in fact imho that's where lexus is heading)

Last edited by rominl; 05-11-17 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 03:29 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

and if price is the problem on top of driving doesn't matter, then they might as well just 100% focus on the ES, which has the size AND price down already (in fact imho that's where lexus is heading)
ES is already a better buy if you comprare it to the GS200t. The GS is less powerful, smaller in size, does not come with the real leather, and it cost more. GS200t would have been a success if it was cheaper and was offered in such countries where ES is not being sold. Selling both models side by side, is just plain stupid to me. Lexus marketing department really makes you wonder sometimes.......
Old 05-12-17, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

and you think a swb LS will be 60k? that's a dream. if it's just a shortened wheel base LS chassis with gs level setup for 60k, then it's no difference than what they have now. your logic doesn't make sense

Perhaps its a dream. Maybe call it a different model name. Either way there will be a price gap between the LS and ES and IS. And the GS is not the answer.
Old 05-12-17, 07:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
ES is already a better buy if you comprare it to the GS200t. The GS is less powerful, smaller in size, does not come with the real leather, and it cost more. GS200t would have been a success if it was cheaper and was offered in such countries where ES is not being sold. Selling both models side by side, is just plain stupid to me. Lexus marketing department really makes you wonder sometimes.......
The sad part is, most Japanese companies are terrible at marketing, if any at all. When was the last time you saw a commercial for a DSLR? Or a Sony smartphone? Occasionally a Citizen watch commercial and rarely a Seiko. And Seiko has a luxury line of watches as well. It's just a weird culture.
Old 05-12-17, 07:52 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Nintendo advertises but I get your point

i have a Grand Seiko, amazing quality but to your point, very few folks have any idea that it is different from a sub $200 Seiko
Old 05-12-17, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
decades ago the GS and ES was quite different and they really went for different market and audience.

but yes, in recent years, either it's the car or marketing as well, these two cars are blending in more and more and the sad truth is gs is getting less and less attention
Old 05-17-17, 02:24 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

CMK1 already confirmed the code name for the 5GS.

Quick Reply: April 2017 Sales Thread