Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brit gets Corvette Grand Sport - is in heaven

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 09:26 PM
Jayss01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your 'insight' is that you made it clear you couldn't live with such a car as your main car, but the point i was making (which you don't seem to accept) is that others can.
agreed...i have daily driven my 01 camaro for years and have even driven it in the snow believe it or not. Sure it isn't the most practical car but i was able to live with it as my only car for a long time. I still pretty much daily drive it while my gf drives the lexus rx300 i recently bought for her.
Old 04-30-17, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Was the Miata your only car, or did you also have an Explorer (now a JGC) for when you actually needed to carry something? If you Explorer actually replaced your Miata instead of being in addition to it (I don't remember), then, fine, you have a point.
you know, not everything is about what makes sense to you, or me, or what might be needed. You can't put furniture in your sedan but does that mean you should also own an suv or truck just in case you need to? Of course not. This weekend i helped someone move, but could not have done it if a friend hadn't lent a hand and brought his f150. That's his only vehicle. I've known lots of people whose only vehicle is one kind or another, including sports cars. If what they have doesn't work for a temporary need, they can grt help from someone else, or rent a vehicle.

And, of course, at least to some extent, we've wondered off the main topic...the new Corvette.
yup, you wandered off into your view of its impracticality for you.
Old 04-30-17, 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayss01
agreed...i have daily driven my 01 camaro for years and have even driven it in the snow believe it or not. Sure it isn't the most practical car but i was able to live with it as my only car for a long time. I still pretty much daily drive it while my gf drives the lexus rx300 i recently bought for her.
exactly, and even if you didn't have the rx handy, if your camaro couldn't carry what you needed you could always rent something or hire someone.
Old 04-30-17, 09:57 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you know, not everything is about what makes sense to you, or me, or what might be needed. You can't put furniture in your sedan but does that mean you should also own an suv or truck just in case you need to? Of course not. This weekend i helped someone move, but could not have done it if a friend hadn't lent a hand and brought his f150. That's his only vehicle. I've known lots of people whose only vehicle is one kind or another, including sports cars. If what they have doesn't work for a temporary need, they can grt help from someone else, or rent a vehicle.

yup, you wandered off into your view of its impracticality for you.
Save your breath Paul. We all know that an American icon like the Corvette is a totally ridiculous and impractical vehicle to own, but a shat brown Buick... now that deserves it's own thread.
Old 05-01-17, 01:42 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayss01
Agreed, I've had a couple of those 4th gen Z28 Camaros, lots of fun, the t-top car with the hatch was pretty useful, could cram a good bit of stuff in it with the rear seat folded down, it held a full size bicycle in the rear hatch area if you did it right. The Corvette is a very practical sports car IMO, if you can live with the 2 seats. Cargo area is huge. Put some smaller winter wheel/tire combo on it and it will get you through the nasty winter, but then again I think if you can spend $60k on a new sports car, you can buy a reliable $5k beater to drive when it snows up north.

I daily drove a 4th gen Camaro(1999 Z28 with the LS1 V8/automatic combo) for 6 years and over 100k miles, people like to ***** that these cars are uncomfortable, unreliable pieces of junk, they only are if you abuse them and don't maintain them. I found my 1999 Z28 to be quieter, more refined, and better riding than my buddy's almost new 2003 Acura RSX. As time went on, the Camaro rattled less, the leather seats held up(those RSX seats were more comfortable but split at the seams after 4-5 years), and gave me fewer problems than that Acura, which was IMO a really overpriced Civic with a hot rod motor, it wasn't built to the same standard as the Integra.

Last edited by Aron9000; 05-01-17 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Save your breath Paul. We all know that an American icon like the Corvette is a totally ridiculous and impractical vehicle to own, but a shat brown Buick... now that deserves it's own thread.
Try reading my posts before make assumptions. A 'Vette, or any other 2-seat sports-car, is not ridiculous to own if you have another vehicle for when you need to do things or haul stuff. I never said otherwise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000

I daily drove a 4th gen Camaro(1999 Z28 with the LS1 V8/automatic combo) for 6 years and over 100k miles, people like to ***** that these cars are uncomfortable, unreliable pieces of junk, they only are if you abuse them and don't maintain them. I found my 1999 Z28 to be quieter, more refined, and better riding than my buddy's almost new 2003 Acura RSX. As time went on, the Camaro rattled less, the leather seats held up(those RSX seats were more comfortable but split at the seams after 4-5 years), and gave me fewer problems than that Acura, which was IMO a really overpriced Civic with a hot rod motor, it wasn't built to the same standard as the Integra.
Agreed, BTW, that the RSX was not up to the Integra's build-quality standard. One reason why the 'Vette and Camaro seats probably held up better than the RSX's is that they were designed primarily for large, heavy Americans...the RSX was an international platform.
Old 05-01-17, 11:23 AM
Jayss01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed, I've had a couple of those 4th gen Z28 Camaros, lots of fun, the t-top car with the hatch was pretty useful, could cram a good bit of stuff in it with the rear seat folded down, it held a full size bicycle in the rear hatch area if you did it right. The Corvette is a very practical sports car IMO, if you can live with the 2 seats. Cargo area is huge. Put some smaller winter wheel/tire combo on it and it will get you through the nasty winter, but then again I think if you can spend $60k on a new sports car, you can buy a reliable $5k beater to drive when it snows up north.

agreed everyone thinks the 4th gen camaros are unreliable and uncomfortable but im 6'2 and fit in my camaro just fine. Also my camaro has been very reliable over the 8 years i have owned it...even with upgraded heads and an aftermarket cam i can hop in it anytime and drive it anywhere without worrying about it and even though i beat on it sometimes i have only had minor things break on it which were simple and inexpensive to fix. Funny thing is it so far has been more reliable then the lexus rx300 i just bought.
Old 05-01-17, 11:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice vid, owner is really happy. One of my co-workers based in UK came to US for first time last year he rented a V8 Mustang GT and absolutely loved it. He plans to buy a RHD version soon.
Old 05-01-17, 04:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

pvmike and & mm, your recent posts are OT and personal arguments. I have removed them, please take conversation to pm if you wish, thanks,
Old 05-01-17, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Nice vid, owner is really happy. One of my co-workers based in UK came to US for first time last year he rented a V8 Mustang GT and absolutely loved it. He plans to buy a RHD version soon.
Is he having problems adjusting to left-hand drive over here? And thanks for the heads-up.....I didn't know they sold the Mustang in RHD.
Old 05-01-17, 10:34 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is he having problems adjusting to left-hand drive over here? And thanks for the heads-up.....I didn't know they sold the Mustang in RHD.
He said it wasn't as bad but he did drive LHD in different countries in Europe also. Yup he said they are offering RHD he said most were interested in Ecoboost but he wants 5.0.
Old 05-02-17, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
He said it wasn't as bad but he did drive LHD in different countries in Europe also. Yup he said they are offering RHD he said most were interested in Ecoboost but he wants 5.0.
I recently did a review of a LHD American-spec Ecoboost Mustang. It doesn't have as much power as the larger 5.0L, but, with a lighter front end, probably handles better. Can't compare it to a 'Vette, though...the thread topic.
Old 05-04-17, 04:55 PM
Jayss01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
Yes, you can definitely hear those pushrods...
hear pushrods?? Umm ok
Old 05-04-17, 04:59 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

when I lived in Japan I bought a used nissan skyline gtr...for about 10k usd...what a fun car that was and my daily driver for 4 years...you can make it work, dont be a snobby american

Quick Reply: Brit gets Corvette Grand Sport - is in heaven