Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan (Nismo division) restarts parts production for the Nissan Skyline R32

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 01:31 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts
Default Nissan (Nismo division) restarts parts production for the Nissan Skyline R32

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-r...els-95720.html

I'm amazed and elated that Nissan under its current management would do this. I wish Toyota would do that same for the MKIV Supra. I can dream and add the SC300/400/Soarer Z30 also.
Old 04-28-17, 07:58 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Interestingly, the article also mentions the lift of the 25-year import ban on the R32 in this article. One could make the logical leap that Nissan may be looking to boost its sales in a market that nobody else is currently filling.

Although I am not sure how the EPA is going to regulate on the smog for this one since R32 is what, OBDI?
Old 04-28-17, 08:11 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by mk416
Interestingly, the article also mentions the lift of the 25-year import ban on the R32 in this article. One could make the logical leap that Nissan may be looking to boost its sales in a market that nobody else is currently filling.

Although I am not sure how the EPA is going to regulate on the smog for this one since R32 is what, OBDI?
Nothing at all has changed about the U.S. DOT's 25 year import ban, nor the EPA's 21-year emission control jurisdiction. Nothing has been lifted, it's just that 1989-1991 (not all 1991's but some of them depending on the specific month of manufacture) Skylines are now at or past the 25 year import limitation.

I would agree with your assertion. Nissan, in a bizarrely astute and even generous move, probably has taken note of the high popularity for their most famous performance car and sees a niche market.

It would be amazing if Toyota did this as well for a good handful of their special models. Several car companies do this kind of heritage parts availability... Porsche, Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz notably. Nissan (really just their Nismo division) is an unlikely but welcome entrant.
Old 04-28-17, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Are those 240SX's in the USA? When I got my Maxima new in 1998, 240SXs were still in the showroom. I think Nissan was a better co. back then....

Also, my 5-spd SE was brand new, and I came upon a dark blue GS400 with a spoiler, and thought wow, that thing is sweet.....
Old 04-28-17, 08:26 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Nothing at all has changed about the U.S. DOT's 25 year import ban, nor the EPA's 21-year emission control jurisdiction. Nothing has been lifted, it's just that 1989-1991 (not all 1991's but some of them depending on the specific month of manufacture) Skylines are now at or past the 25 year import limitation.

I would agree with your assertion. Nissan, in a bizarrely astute and even generous move, probably has taken note of the high popularity for their most famous performance car and sees a niche market.

It would be amazing if Toyota did this as well for a good handful of their special models. Several car companies do this kind of heritage parts availability... Porsche, Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz notably. Nissan (really just their Nismo division) is an unlikely but welcome entrant.
Excuse my poor choice of words, I meant to convey that the import ban is now expired for some years of the R32's.

I can't find any official source corroborating with what these articles are saying, so I'll go with 50/50 on this. If you happen to have a link to an official statement, I'd like to read about it.

And also interesting to know that other companies do this, although I am not sure what models specifically weren't available in US back then but are now.

Given how Toyota is ready to launch the FT1 or Supra or whatever, I think they will wait and see the reception of the consumers to that launch prior to reviving the production of Supra (parts).
Old 04-28-17, 08:27 AM
KahnBB6

I remember seeing 240SX S14's in the Nissan showroom back in 1997-98. I really liked those at the time but even then I felt the $28k door sticker was a lot to pay for a 155hp car. Of course I didn't know about the withheld SR20DET engines at the time.

Those manual transmission Maximas were nice! Lucky you had one.

Nissan was a better manufacturer back then. They overbuilt everything and had unique platforms for multiple vehicles. They tried some very innovative technology. Unfortunately decisions like those their less than streamlined structure as a company are what led to their bankruptcy and takeover by Renault and Ghosn, although now someone else from within the company is their new CEO.
Old 04-28-17, 08:32 AM
KahnBB6

I don't remember which of these links contains the original source from Nissan (in Japanese) but here are the links found earlier:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nis...kyline-spares/
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ne-gt-r-parts/
https://www.carsguide.com.au/overste...-r-parts-54796
http://www.thedrive.com/news/9713/ni...lacement-parts

I believe the last link contains the 38-minute press conference in which the Heritage Program through Nismo was announced very briefly.