Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Best and Worst Cars You've Ever Owned

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 08:34 PM
jhall1jax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best - 2009 M3. I'll never own a car that drives better. Great little V8, great sounds, great feel. It had limits way above my own but was still a blast to drive. However - it wasn't perfect by any means. It simply had stuff breaking left and right. 3 wheel speed sensors, badges and interior trim falling off, occasional limp-home mode with no code thrown (and was fine the next morning), and a few other little things.

But the big thing was that the S65 engine has a somewhat higher than average propensity of connecting rod failure - some low mileage S65 tear downs show oil breakdown and scorching at very low miles. And mine had started a worrying clicking/ticking for a few seconds after a cold start. I got to the point where I was unconsciously babying the car in hopes I'd affect the reliability, and knew that my time with it had come to an end.

Worst - 1995 Grand Cherokee Limited (XJ). Yes I know that this SUV has its VERY ardent supporters, but mine was just bad. I inherited it around 2013 with about 100k miles, and had been serviced by the book. It had so many issues. I replaced several oil sales, but it seemed to leak more oil every time I fixed one. It ran quite rough and the transmission didn't want to shift. Even after trips to both the Jeep dealer and an independent Jeep guy, it didn't make much progress. It had sentimental value and was in nice shape inside, but if I'm honest, I was happy to see it go. Life's too short to worry if I'd make it My destination each trip.
Old 05-26-17, 05:21 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst: Smart Fortwo
I was one of the first people I'm Canada to own one. I chose it over a Land Rover, big mistake. The car had transmission issues.

Best: Scion FRS
Fun to drive! I hope to own one again in the future or the Supra. Nothing beats a small sports car.

Next car will most likely be a Chevrolet Sonic for the next few years.

Last edited by JessePS; 05-26-17 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 06:26 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Worst car: Nissan Sentra 1995. Rust at many places, no power compared to my previous Sentra. After 6 years, water was leaking inside from between the roof and the windshield when it was raining. Had to put calking to try to fix it and then it would come back again.

Best cars: Honda Accord 2005, very comfy on long rides, no problems with it and no rust in 11 years I had it (rust is an issue un Canada). And then my new Lexus RX 350 2016. Comfy and fun to drive!
Old 05-26-17, 08:11 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have not owned a whole lot of cars in my life, but...

The worst of them that comes to mind was my 1994 Acura Integra LS. Bought it with 86,000 miles when I was 21, it was my first car. Nothing but maintenance and headaches.

Tires, clutch, clutch master cylinder, brake master cylinder, axles, cv boots.....the list goes on and on. Should have gotten rid of it much quicker than I did. When I did sell it, I was very thrilled.

Best cars:

2004 WRX STi - reliable, fast, responded well to the Cobb Stage 2 w/ Pro tune. Fun fun and..........fun!

2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6: reliable, COMFORTABLE, somewhat cool. Weak top end. (SOLD)

2005 Toyota Highlander V6 Limited (still own it): reliable, comfortable, can haul stuff, great highway cruiser on long drives.

2013 Lexus ISF: VERY FAST, very reliable, sounds great, always a joy to drive.
Old 05-26-17, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Worst: Smart Fortwo
I was one of the first people I'm Canada to own one. I chose it over a Land Rover, big mistake. The car had transmission issues.
It sure did. You probably noticed that, at lower speed-shifting, the transmission makes the car lurch back and forth like a kid's rocking-horse. Part of that, of course, is also from the car's extremely tall center of gravity and tendency to lean.

Next car will most likely be a Chevrolet Sonic for the next few years.
You will probably be surprised at how well the Sonic is built and how well it drives...nothing like the old Chevy/Geo subcompacts. In fact, IMO, it blows its rival Ford Fiesta right out of the water, especially with the Fiesta's clunky dual-clutch transmission.