Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q5 ad takes a swipe at the Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 06:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's also not all about appearance. As a current owner of an RX, it is the most boring car I've ever owned, and among the most boring I've ever driven. The very definition of a soulless transportation appliance. Since that's Toyota's target market with it, that's fine, and it sells in incredible numbers as a result. But speaking only for ourselves, we definitely don't want another one, and are looking at the Q7 3.0T and SQ5 as potential replacements. Both are significantly faster, more comfortable, and more entertaining to drive than the RX.
Buddy's wife's Q5 just had the headliner to the panoramic roof fall, common issue, dealer wants $1,800 to repair, and he doesn't want to pay so he has it pinned up. The write up to DIY is pretty long and he doesn't feel like bothering right now. Can't close it and they live in FLA.

But, he loves the way it drives, it's got the B&O sound, etc. I would find it very hard to believe that anyone could drive a RX350, and a Q5, and say, the RX is way better to drive. Look at the skidpad numbers of an ordinary Q5. Not sure but based on a coworker's RX, I'm willing to bet the RX wins on usable cargo space....
Old 04-26-17, 08:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well lady did say invisible not boring and since RX is the best selling premium SUV that is indeed true. Nothing wrong with what ad claims.

On the other side Q5 is nothing more than jacked up A4 with lack of any dynamics that A4 has. And A4 is one of the blandest driving experiences in it's class. There is nothing about Q5 that stands out really, just like NX it's a mix and match of parts in parts bin within parent company
Old 04-26-17, 08:36 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a good commercial for Audi because both vehicles seem to be frequently cross-shopped. I know it seems like a low-blow or whatever, but from a marketing standpoint they are speaking directly to their target customer. I think a lot of you are taking this too personally and saying untrue things about the Q5.

With that being said, I've seen some of these new Q5s around and even had the chance to check out the interiors and what not. Like all Audis they are solid, well-engineered cars BUT they are lacking in "passion" and "personality." It's not a car for an enthusiast, but moreso for your average upper middle class suburbanite family making Costco runs every Saturday. The RX is purchased by the same exact crowd.
Old 04-26-17, 08:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

The simple truth is that this could have been a Lexus ad and the placement of the vehicles in question reversed. It would have worked as an RX ad with the RX positioned as the more interesting choice and the Q5 positioned as the bland/anonymous vehicle.
Old 04-26-17, 08:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I think it is a good commercial for Audi because both vehicles seem to be frequently cross-shopped. I know it seems like a low-blow or whatever, but from a marketing standpoint they are speaking directly to their target customer. I think a lot of you are taking this too personally and saying untrue things about the Q5.

With that being said, I've seen some of these new Q5s around and even had the chance to check out the interiors and what not. Like all Audis they are solid, well-engineered cars BUT they are lacking in "passion" and "personality." It's not a car for an enthusiast, but moreso for your average upper middle class suburbanite family making Costco runs every Saturday. The RX is purchased by the same exact crowd.
By the way, Costco is my favorite place to get premium. People used to say, if you buy costco gas, you don't deserve a (fill in the blank). I used to say, the same tanker truck filling up a Shell is filling up everyone else....what, do they wash out the tank between deliveries? Thank goodness they ended the debate by paying for top tier designation. I think some good points made were that the condition of tanks matter. Anyway, back to the Q5, I haven't driven a SQ5 but have seen the numbers. I think the Q5 I drove was a Prestige Plus 4 cyl., and I rather liked it. Want to buy one, no, but it beats a RX350 imho. Besides, the Audi looks good, and the other not really....
Old 04-26-17, 12:28 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

One man's "boring" is another man's "elegant." My 2010 RX450h feels like liquid--ultra-smooth and quiet ride, great engineering, reliable, adequate acceleration, and very nice-looking from all angles, including the front. Parked next to it at home is a '69 427 Vette. Not boring in any respect, but I'll take the RX on a highway trip, thanks.

I used to own and fly a light aircraft. You pay a lot extra to get quietness and elegance. Guess that's "boring" to some.
Old 04-26-17, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
I used to own and fly a light aircraft. You pay a lot extra to get quietness and elegance. Guess that's "boring" to some.
Yes, I'm an ex-pilot, too. Most of the excessive noise in light aircraft is due to the air-cooled, horizontally-opposed piston engines similar to old VWs and Porsches). That, combined with minimal sound-insulation (insulation adds weight, and an airplane has to have lift), and, yes, your eardrums can take a beating. A good set of earplugs or David-Clark head-set for the radio can alleviate a lot of it.
Old 04-26-17, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah the RX was an interesting choice lol, its the most "conspicuous" vehicle in its class nowadays, the Q7 is much more mainstream and inconspicuous.
Old 04-26-17, 10:15 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi has done this a number of times, and generally against beige RX's, since that's the #1 selling car in the segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-vE...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-26-17, 10:18 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another, diff gen RX
Old 04-27-17, 06:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
One man's "boring" is another man's "elegant." My 2010 RX450h feels like liquid--ultra-smooth and quiet ride, great engineering, reliable, adequate acceleration, and very nice-looking from all angles, including the front. Parked next to it at home is a '69 427 Vette. Not boring in any respect, but I'll take the RX on a highway trip, thanks.

This is a false dichotomy. Quiet ride, good engineering, reliable, and nice-looking are not mutually exclusive factors with engaging to drive. Neither is more than adequate acceleration.
Old 04-27-17, 07:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
This is a false dichotomy. Quiet ride, good engineering, reliable, and nice-looking are not mutually exclusive factors with engaging to drive. Neither is more than adequate acceleration.
I've never understood this need to justify that what we drive, is better than anything else on the road.....we have 4 cars, and I would have to say none of them are the best in their category, but so what?

The 2007 BMW 335i coupe turned heads in Dec. 2006 when I bought it. Today, I see 18 y.o. on the forum asking what they can do because their car looks so outdated in the HS parking lot....

Now I must say, the 2006 LS430 does give the Lear 75 a run for its money, because that car is like driving your Sealy Posturepedic pillowtop (not memory foam) right out of your bedroom onto the highway.....

Hey Lexus, if you want to put my BMW in a commercial, and have a IS350 with the V6 back into it, I'll laugh along with you and your marketing department!
Old 04-27-17, 07:30 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, with so many Q5s driving around, his choice is correct, he'll continue to just blend in.
Old 04-27-17, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Well, with so many Q5s driving around, his choice is correct, he'll continue to just blend in.
ha.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A clever ad.....considering that the Q5 itself, of course, is not exactly inconspicuous.
think you meant not exactly conspicuous, because it's bland?

anyway. fun ad! thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-17, 03:03 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317
Here's another, diff gen RX
https://youtu.be/d-vE9efGCXI
What's ironic is that everybody and their mother drives a Q5. My local dealer always has around 120 in stock!

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 ad takes a swipe at the Lexus RX