Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possibility of Diesel Toyotas/Lexus in US with revised EPA rules under Trump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 04:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not looking to argue, I just know that you don't have any evidence to back that statement up.
That's why I'm not even going to bother, from the tone of your post I can sense that you'll just brush my points off.
Old 04-26-17, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,804 Posts

So like I thought.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-26-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 06:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct. That's why I said most older diesels didn't have carbs (It's possible on a rare occasion, but I don't remember any).
No, diesels never used carbs. Older diesels had indirect injection where fuel was injected into the so called precombustion chamber, instead of the main combustion chamber.

I'm not trying to deliberately argue, but I can't totally agree with that. The air/fuel mixture, even in a diesel, does matter to some extent. A diesel engine works by ultra-high compression ratios of (roughly) 20:1, as opposed to those of a typical gas engine about half of that, at 10:1. In general, the heat of that high compression fires off the air-fuel mixture, rather than an electrically-generated spark. The air-fuel mixture has to be tuned and regulated for the exact characteristics of the heat and compression each engine will generate, or else it could fire off or ping/detonate too early, causing possible internal engine damage, or too late, wasting power and adding to emissions.
No Mike, this is where you seem to be confused and I will try to do my best to explain it to you. What you're describing is called preignition in petrol engines, where the fuel ignites before the end of compression stroke, causing detonation. I'm sure you're well aware of the factors that cause it, such as compression ratio, volatility of of petrol, octane number, ignition timing, operating temperature and perhaps most importantly air/fuel ratio. Lean out the mixture too much, and with so much oxygen in the mixture petrol will ignite well before the end of compression cycle where spark plug is meant to ignite the mixture. This can cause knocking, or in extreme causes it can even spin the crank backwards causing catastrophic engine damage. It is becoming less and less of an issue with modern direct injected engines, because fuel is delivered late into the compression stroke, and I believe in certain cases even early into the power stroke, which allows modern engines to run with very lean air to fuel ratios and high compression ratios, essentially making them more and more diesel like.

Preignition has never been an issue even with old indirect injection diesels because diesel fuel is not as volatile as petrol, and its a complete non issue with modern direct injected diesels. Preignition in a DI diesel can't occur, because only air is being compressed during compression cycle, and fuel is injected (under insanely high pressures 25-30,000psi) at TDC where it ignites. Thus you can lean out diesel AF ratio as much as you want, and the leaner the mixture the cleaner it burns. This is the primary reason why diesels are so economical, you can lean out the mixture completely during idle and during low load, where only tiny amount of fuel is delivered just enough to keep the engine turning itself, where in petrol engines AF ratio must be kept in a certain range.

One reason, BTW, why so much pressure is needed on injection, because the high compression creates so much back-pressure. It's like a tug-of-war....and the high-pressure injection system has to win if the engine is going to run at all.
Yes, and these high pressure injection systems are expensive to produce and maintain, very fragile, and extremely sensitive to any contamination and water. It can sometimes cost over $1,000 just to replace a single injector.
Old 04-26-17, 06:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you want economy diesel is the way to go. Higher heat value of the fuel, less pumping losses and greater expansion area, all mean more efficiency. And as far as mineral fuel burning engines go, diesel engines beat all the others. There are some diesel engines that approach and may exceed 50% efficiency which is really good as compared to all the rest.

And actually there are diesel engines that had carburetors on them.
I worked on one many years ago.
And this is exactly the same type of tractor I worked on.

Last edited by dicer; 04-26-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 08:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
If you want economy diesel is the way to go. Higher heat value of the fuel, less pumping losses and greater expansion area, all mean more efficiency. And as far as mineral fuel burning engines go, diesel engines beat all the others. There are some diesel engines that approach and may exceed 50% efficiency which is really good as compared to all the rest.

And actually there are diesel engines that had carburetors on them.
I worked on one many years ago.
And this is exactly the same type of tractor I worked on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j-NipO28pk
Yes, but those are not true diesel engines, they are 2 stroke engines that can run on diesel and other fuels, and they require petrol to start and warm up before they can be switched to diesel. Once they switched to diesel, wasn't diesel injected?

Last edited by Och; 04-26-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 02:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Sorry but that tractor is NOT a 2 stroke, and it is true diesel with a carburetor. All diesel engines can run on other fuels, and some can burn straight automotive gasoline as well. And of course as a diesel fuel was injected. Oh and there was an induction throttled diesel as well, I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-27-17, 04:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Sorry but that tractor is NOT a 2 stroke, and it is true diesel with a carburetor. All diesel engines can run on other fuels, and some can burn straight automotive gasoline as well. And of course as a diesel fuel was injected. Oh and there was an induction throttled diesel as well, I'll leave it at that.
Well but diesel was injected, carb was only for petrol, so its really not a carbureted diesel.
Old 04-27-17, 06:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Same engine no starting engine the carb is mounted on the engine so technically is it carbureted. And besides there are truly carbureted diesel engines.
As long as the definition of diesel engine is an internal combustion piston engine that will due to high cylinder air pressure ignite and burn diesel fuel. ???
Old 04-27-17, 07:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Same engine no starting engine the carb is mounted on the engine so technically is it carbureted. And besides there are truly carbureted diesel engines.
As long as the definition of diesel engine is an internal combustion piston engine that will due to high cylinder air pressure ignite and burn diesel fuel. ???
Basically diesel engine is a compression combustion engine with no spark plugs. That said, there are no carbureted diesel engines, diesel fuel is too thick to be atomized by carburetor.