ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Did you Lease or Buy ? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/853891-did-you-lease-or-buy.html)

ttsport15 04-21-17 10:29 AM

Did you Lease or Buy ?

Anyone else get annoyed when people ask you that question while talking about your car? I dont know I just think that not anybody's business...Also how about when your doing some cosmetic work on a car you will have for 3+ years and people chuckle and say Why you doin that it's a lease!?

bagwell 04-21-17 10:51 AM

I just say "YES"

BrownPride 04-21-17 11:03 AM

It sort of depends on who is asking it. There are people you know are well-intentioned and don't have some sort of "agenda," so I don't mind it from them.

But then there's the guy who wants to know about everybody's finances and is always trying to weasel out information. Can't stand those types.

As for "why are you cleaning/detailing your car it's a lease." That's a true tell sign of somebody who doesn't care about cars and doesn't think anybody else should either. Have they heard of something called a hobby?

Toys4RJill 04-21-17 11:06 AM

Not sure what the big deal is. I almost always buy. Leased only once in last 25 years.

I guess there will always be a stigma about leasing. I have always looked a leasing a people are getting into a car they usually cant afford to buy outright at the purchase point.

I don't see any stigma for those who actually buy their car.

Htony 04-21-17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 9842960)
Not sure what the big deal is. I almost always buy. Leased only once in last 25 years.

I guess there will always be a stigma about leasing. I have always looked a leasing a people are getting into a car they usually cant afford to buy outright at the purchase point.

I don't see any stigma for those who actually buy their car.

IMO, lease is a long term rent. At the end there is nothing left as a residual value like renting a house. I always pay cash when I buy car(s). Then I drove company cars for many years until I retire. I think some people lease them to drive new cars. I keep mine at the most for 5 years, trade in for another car of my choice.

RNM GS3 04-21-17 11:18 AM

Leasing is WAY cheaper if you plan to keep car less than 5 years especially luxury cars.

situman 04-21-17 11:21 AM

Lease. Glad I do. Got t-boned last year and would hate to have to live with it for another 5 or more years. I can give it back in a little over a yr.

ttsport15 04-21-17 11:21 AM

What ever works for the individual I just feel when a total stranger says nice car or whatever than asks if you leased or purchased I just think WTF ...lol

EZZ 04-21-17 02:58 PM

I don't do it by time but mileage. 100k and I get a new car! :D

SW17LS 04-21-17 05:45 PM

People can ask me whatever they want lol. I care not what they think of my answer, I'm confident the choices I make are the right choices for me.

ssmoked 04-21-17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 9842990)
Lease. Glad I do. Got t-boned last year and would hate to have to live with it for another 5 or more years. I can give it back in a little over a yr.

yup. And good luck selling a car with an accident. With a lease, just return the thing

Och 04-21-17 07:31 PM

I'll never buy another car. I bought a new X5 in 2012 after storm Sandy, and with only 27k on the ODO it already had over $30k in warranty repairs, and $2k after warranty was over, but dealer covered it under good will. Since then I only lease.

ssmoked 04-21-17 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Och (Post 9843442)
I'll never buy another car. I bought a new X5 in 2012 after storm Sandy, and with only 27k on the ODO it already had over $30k in warranty repairs, and $2k after warranty was over, but dealer covered it under good will. Since then I only lease.

its a given with German. Your particular concept doesn't apply to Japanese

SW17LS 04-21-17 07:55 PM

And one thing I find funny is this idea that "leasing a car is financially irresponsible". My question is, how big a % of these people's monthly income is their car payment? My lease payments are a small enough % of my income that it doesn't impact my lifestyle or my ability to save or invest at all.

Im sure there are people out there spending 30+% of their monthly income on a lease payment, but that isn't leasing fault.

Toys4RJill 04-21-17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Htony (Post 9842974)
IMO, lease is a long term rent. At the end there is nothing left as a residual value like renting a house. .

This is the number one reason i am against leasing. I can't imagine paying a fee each month the rest of your life for a vehicle you don't really own and for a vehicle that you have mileage limitations. Then there is the worry of losing your job, having to pay for the car. As for renting your home in place of buying it, I can't it's a good idea.