Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Genesis G80 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
that hasn't been the Chrysler badge since 2008, try again:

I've seen them both lately, but, yes, you have a point....most of the newer ones seem to have the blue insert. Still, either way, it is nothing like the Genesis badge.
Old 04-22-17, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Are you new here? Never met you before. you must be a non car enthuthiast
The point I was making is that, enthusiast or not, the Genesis badge is nothing like the Chrysler badge. Apples and oranges. It does bear some resemblance to the Bentley badge.
Old 04-22-17, 07:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
I was quoting and speaking to mmarshall, but thanks for being a d1ck about it and chiming in..
No problem, guys.....don't get worked up about it. Yes, I posted a somewhat out of date Chrysler badge, but it still doesn't change the point I was trying to make.
Old 04-22-17, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

To name a few popular automakers that have ever used 'wings' on their logo

Aston Martin
Bentley
Chrysler
Genesis
Mini
Morgan
Old 04-22-17, 10:50 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been on here in a looooonnng time (I do recognize a few of the names here, though!), but this thread popped up in one of my feeds and I thought I'd share some thoughts. Back in the day I had a 2001 GS430 L-Tuned. I moved on to an Audi S4 6MT for quite a while, then an Infiniti G37S 6MT, and most recently a Genesis 5.0 R-Spec (5.0L 429HP V8). I had a great time with the 6MTs, but over the past decade I've developed some pretty bad lower back problems that have made driving stick in Austin rush hour traffic very uncomfortable. I saw the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec as a comfortable and reasonably fun ride at a pretty amazing price ($38K brand new).

I'm seriously considering the G80 Sport as my next car. It won't have the V8 snarl, but my guess is that it will be at least as fast as my current car with much better handling. I also really like the way it looks. I'll admit I'm quite surprised at the price, though. I was thinking/hoping that it would split the difference between the current V6 and V8 in the high $40s vs. the mid-to-high $50s. My guess is that by end of year you'll be able to get one at a significant discount from that, so I won't plan to pull the trigger immediately, though I do want to take one out for a test drive.

After 3.5 years of ownership, I can say that while the Hyundai/Genesis service experience isn't nearly on the same level as Lexus/Audi/Infiniti (though it's not bad), the vehicle itself has been great. Rock solid, exceptionally comfortable, nice technology, and even though it's not the most recent generation, it still gets a surprising number of compliments and "what is that?" questions from folks.

Just though I'd share my $0.02 on the topic...
Old 04-22-17, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCWells72

I'm seriously considering the G80 Sport as my next car. It won't have the V8 snarl,
If you will settle for RWD, you can get the 5.0L V8 G80. I test-drove one of those a few years ago, and it was like the 60's American muscle-cars that I grew up with....only a heck of a lot better-built, and a lot more refined. It may not handle quite as sharply as the 3.8L G80 Sport, though, since it is a little more comfort-oriented, and has a larger, heavier engine up front.

Hyundai and Genesis, so far, have refused to offer the 5.0L V8 AWD in the American market, citing gas-mileage concerns....though that may (?) change next year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-22-17 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 11:10 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you will settle for RWD, you can get the 5.0L V8 G80. I test-drove one of those a few years ago, and it was like the 60's American muscle-cars that I grew up with....only a heck of a lot better-built, and a lot more refined. It may not handle quite as sharply as the 3.8L G80 Sport, though, since it is a little more comfort-oriented, and has a larger, heavier engine up front.
That's pretty much what I have now...the same 5.0L V8 with RWD, albeit in the first-generation Genesis body. I've had the newer one as a loaner a few times and while the interior and exterior are updated, the handling is only a bit better than my current car even in Sport mode, and it's actually a bit slower due to increased weight. That's why the G80 Sport is attractive to me...lighter weight, TTV6, and a much more dedicated attempt for sport-tuned suspension, throttle response, etc...or at least that's the idea...we'll see when I've actually driven it!
Old 04-22-17, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Bottom line is I don't care what anybody thinks about what I drive lol
Old 04-22-17, 01:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Aston Martin
Bentley
Chrysler
Genesis
Mini
Morgan
Nice post!!
Old 04-22-17, 01:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

SCWells72 - welcome back!

congrats on the recent cars (nice ones all!). the g80 sport is kind of a package like the gs350 f-sport only more powerful. whether it handles better i'm not sure.
Old 04-22-17, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Bottom line is I don't care what anybody thinks about what I drive lol
Ha Ha..........if that were the case, you wouldn't talk so much about it.
Old 04-22-17, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ha Ha..........if that were the case, you wouldn't talk so much about it.
When have I ever talked about caring about what people think of the brand of car I drive? I love talking about cars, but I don't buy cars because of what people think about the brand of car I drive.
Old 04-22-17, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When have I ever talked about caring about what people think of the brand of car I drive? I love talking about cars, but I don't buy cars because of what people think about the brand of car I drive.
Basically the same here (I seek out opinions, but make my own decisions...do the same for others seeking my opinion). But, like it or not, we're all members of what IMO is one of the best auto talk-forms on the Internet, and many of us put in credible opinions and information. I learn a lot from both test-drives and static-reviews, but just as much from listing to all of you right here.
Old 04-22-17, 09:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Aston Martin
Bentley
Chrysler
Genesis
Mini
Morgan
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Genesis G80 Sport-upwings.png  
Old 04-23-17, 03:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Like this?
Or like this? This is what I wore when I was flying.

Quick Reply: 2018 Genesis G80 Sport