Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Pre Purchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 05:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Lexus Pre Purchase Inspection

Has anyone had any issues with a PPI by Lexus or other makes like the dealership said everything was good but something went wrong not long after purchase or they missed something pretty expensive? Did the dealership do anything to make it right. Are there any guarantees that if something happens soon after you pay to get one that it will be covered or partially covered? There does not seem to be a real incentive to find/report all issues with the car/potential purchase if the dealership thinks they would be getting your business/money anyway if or when something goes wrong.
Old 06-26-17, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Has anyone had any issues with a PPI by Lexus or other makes like the dealership said everything was good but something went wrong not long after purchase or they missed something pretty expensive? Did the dealership do anything to make it right. Are there any guarantees that if something happens soon after you pay to get one that it will be covered or partially covered? There does not seem to be a real incentive to find/report all issues with the car/potential purchase if the dealership thinks they would be getting your business/money anyway if or when something goes wrong.
Aren't you in MD? If you're in the DC Metro area I would give you the name and info of my independent Lexus mechanic. You could trust him to give you a legit PPI and not hold back...
Old 06-26-17, 09:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I still have clear plastic sticking out of my door sill. No matter how I try gripping it, it won't tear off. At this point, nine years after delivery, I think they'll laugh at me if I bring it up during my next service.
Old 06-27-17, 12:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Aren't you in MD? If you're in the DC Metro area I would give you the name and info of my independent Lexus mechanic. You could trust him to give you a legit PPI and not hold back...
Not in Maryland now, I do go through Maryland often, used to a lot. I was just wondering if there were any experiences of a car with a PPI where they missed something pretty expensive and if there were any guarantees or obligations after paying to make it right if they missed something.
Old 06-27-17, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I still have clear plastic sticking out of my door sill. No matter how I try gripping it, it won't tear off. At this point, nine years after delivery, I think they'll laugh at me if I bring it up during my next service.
one word: tweezers
Old 06-27-17, 01:10 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I've had a few things missed or not told by many dealers. After 56 vehicles I can think of a few things that stood out and got me pretty upset.

The worst was finding out my car fell off the lift (smashed door) and they didn't tell me. Thought something was funny when the car came out of the showroom for delivery 2 days later. They called me to tell me they didn't get to my car in time so it would be next week. No big deal. Picked up the car the next week, didn't notice anything. Driving around for a few days I thought the car looked better on one side than the other. I went to the dealer paint shop to see if they could buff the paint the same on both sides...figuring the only did half the car. The body shop manager comes up to me and asks if I liked the repair? What repair? That's when I found out what happened. In to see the General manager, they fixed me up but lost my business forever.

Next was a trailer hitch installed before delivery, fell off. I don't know if that would be considered part of the PPI, but ...

Lots of plastic stuff from all sorts of places on many cars, no floor mats, missing keys, tires grossly over inflated, and side molding installed by mistake.

I have never had an issue getting things that should have been caught fixed or repaired. It's just another trip to the dealer.