Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class (Refresh)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 12:38 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I find the new LS interior extremely boring, ordinary, and plain. The new S class looks much nicer.
When did the diamond pattern in the interior become popular, I think it looks good. I even saw it in the lowly 5 series we were driving at the BMW event this weekend (I'm being facetious as you wouldn't have to force me to take one, the speakers were B&W so these cars may have been loaded although they lacked sport packages and were 245 18's all around). Even when the German cars appear understated, imho the quality is there. Sometimes I think the Japanese slip in using cheaper looking components, like something as dumb as a power window switch, or a door lock switch. The car can be the flagship, yet look like it's the same part as a Corolla. Yet at the same time, the Japanese flagship can have a really nice touch, such as a component running at the side of the front seats, preventing anything from dropping under the seat and between the console.
Old 04-24-17, 04:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
All hail the king.

Inside looks boring and ordinary compared to the new LS interior, though.
I think the Benz interior is striking with the right color combo. The cubical grey I've seen in a couple of them(with the light grey carpets that match the light grey seats) does nothing for my eyes though.
Old 04-24-17, 07:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I like it - although not sure I like the colored ambient lighting inside (don't really like that on any car). I assume that's something you can turn off if you want. MB has always had the edge on styling in this segment IMO. Because I always buy used (normally to the point of out of warranty or CPO coverage), the possibility of insanely high repair prices is the only thing that has kept me away from an S class in my garage. I have put about 250k miles (total) on 3 generations of LS's and have had so few problems that I can't imagine buying anything else. If I were to consider a new large sedan that I wouldn't keep much past warranty coverage, it would absolutely be the S class.
Old 04-24-17, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The refresh S is growing on me a lot.
Old 04-24-17, 09:35 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

S class looks great as always, I do think LS is a strong competitor aesthetically.
Old 04-24-17, 10:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
S class looks great as always, I do think LS is a strong competitor aesthetically.
Agreed, the new LS is striking visually, and I have no doubt it will match the Benz in terms of fit/finish/quality, Toyota is really damn good at that sort of thing when they put their mind to it. However, I'm still like that little old lady in the old Wendy's commerical, "where's the beef???" Twin turbo V6 vs Twin turbo V8, its obvious who's at a serious disadvantage.
Old 04-24-17, 10:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS can give S450 a run for its money.
Old 04-24-17, 11:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
The LS can give S450 a run for its money.
I wouldn't buy a flagship sedan with six cylinders. V8 or nothing IMO. I mean I might consider a six cylinder luxury sedan if it had a V6 twin turbo like the Nissan GT-R under the hood, yet it was quiet and refined. MAYBE, but then again I'd just rather have a big, lazy large displacement V8 with just a ton of low end torque, excellent part throttle response, and yet it sings and pulls HARD all the way up to redline. I have yet to drive any turbocharged car that had that sort of off idle throttle response as my 1999 Camaro Z28 automatic with the LS1 V8, yet that car just pulled insanely hard all the way up to its 6000rpm redline. I've driven faster turbocharged cars, but nothing with that sort of immediate throttle response, they all had a bit of lag in comparison. Just that torque curve of a V8, that low end responsiveness, there is nothing like it.
Old 04-25-17, 07:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think the Benz interior is striking with the right color combo. The cubical grey I've seen in a couple of them(with the light grey carpets that match the light grey seats) does nothing for my eyes though.
Oh don't get me wrong lol I'm not saying an S class isn't a nice place to be, but I have to hand it to Lexus....the new LS sure ain't boring. And like I said in other threads, I'd put this new LS interior up against any S-class, even a Designo one. Lexus can blow everyone away with their interiors when they really put their minds (and $) to it.
Old 04-26-17, 09:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh don't get me wrong lol I'm not saying an S class isn't a nice place to be, but I have to hand it to Lexus....the new LS sure ain't boring. And like I said in other threads, I'd put this new LS interior up against any S-class, even a Designo one. Lexus can blow everyone away with their interiors when they really put their minds (and $) to it.
​​​​​​Making customizable and fancier LS interiors available in North America, like they do in Japan, would be a good start
Old 04-26-17, 12:01 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I wouldn't buy a flagship sedan with six cylinders. V8 or nothing IMO. I mean I might consider a six cylinder luxury sedan if it had a V6 twin turbo like the Nissan GT-R under the hood, yet it was quiet and refined. MAYBE, but then again I'd just rather have a big, lazy large displacement V8 with just a ton of low end torque, excellent part throttle response, and yet it sings and pulls HARD all the way up to redline. I have yet to drive any turbocharged car that had that sort of off idle throttle response as my 1999 Camaro Z28 automatic with the LS1 V8, yet that car just pulled insanely hard all the way up to its 6000rpm redline. I've driven faster turbocharged cars, but nothing with that sort of immediate throttle response, they all had a bit of lag in comparison. Just that torque curve of a V8, that low end responsiveness, there is nothing like it.
I agree.....I think what sets Lexus apart from the other premium Japanese marques is the motor. Hyundai Equus look really nice, but look at their motor. Quite inefficient compared to MB, much less power/torque, and uses more fuel. Hopefully the new LS will have a V8 available perhaps after it's introduced...I highly doubt anyone could really go wrong with the new LS500, but again, it's a V6....and man especially in that class is not looking to settle....
Old 04-26-17, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I agree.....I think what sets Lexus apart from the other premium Japanese marques is the motor. Hyundai Equus look really nice, but look at their motor. Quite inefficient compared to MB, much less power/torque, and uses more fuel. Hopefully the new LS will have a V8 available perhaps after it's introduced...I highly doubt anyone could really go wrong with the new LS500, but again, it's a V6....and man especially in that class is not looking to settle....
Except that every other entry in that class, including for 2018 the S Class, has a base 6cyl engine. So many buyers are in fact looking to settle lol.

Way more 6cyl flagships sold now-a-days than 8cyl flagships.
Old 04-27-17, 04:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Way more 6cyl flagships sold now-a-days than 8cyl flagships.
not sure what you're basing that on.... the current S-class (and LS) is only offered with a v8 in the u.s. the '18 s-class has the s450 with ttv6 as well as the s560 with v8, but we don't know if s450 will be offered in u.s., and how many will buy the v6.
Old 04-27-17, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure what you're basing that on.... the current S-class (and LS) is only offered with a v8 in the u.s. the '18 s-class has the s450 with ttv6 as well as the s560 with v8, but we don't know if s450 will be offered in u.s., and how many will buy the v6.
The majority of 7 Series, XJs, A8s are 6 cyl, and I believe from everything I've read the S450 is coming here, once it does the majority of S Class sales will be 6 cyl also. LS as we know will be only 6cyl at least to start. G90 is 6cyl base and the majority of sales are 6cyl. 6cyl power like it or not is becoming the standard in the class.
Old 04-27-17, 06:00 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The majority of 7 Series, XJs, A8s are 6 cyl, and I believe from everything I've read the S450 is coming here, once it does the majority of S Class sales will be 6 cyl also. LS as we know will be only 6cyl at least to start. G90 is 6cyl base and the majority of sales are 6cyl. 6cyl power like it or not is becoming the standard in the class.
Agreed. Almost all of the flagship sedans I've seen here in Miami have been the V6 variants. I'm also surprised how many sighting of the massive V12s I've had though. We have no middle ground here lol.

Quick Reply: 2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class (Refresh)