Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile A nice in-depth video-discussion of the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco.

I thought this was a generally nice, well-made video trying to separate fact from fiction and fantasy on the new upcoming Bronco. The narrator does use one or two words that are NWS, and I don't agree with his negative assessment of the current-generation, post-2014 Impala.....though not an SUV, he brings that up in a side-reference to retro-nameplates through the years. But, overall, IMO, he does an excellent job separating what is (currently) known about the new Bronco vs. what is not. It will take about 15 minutes to watch it. Enjoy.

(Just as an aside note, I hope they, in fact, do the 2-door version pictured behind the narrator, though it may (?) be just a photoshop. That image, IMO, is probably the best-looking SUV I've seen in a long time. I love the chunky squared-off look, round headlights, and the two doors....reminds me of the old 70s-vintage Ford Bronco, Chevy Blazer, and Plymouth Trail-Duster/Dodge Ramcharger twins I used to ride in with some of my colleagues).

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford Baby Bronco Renderings

Official Ford Teaser

Renderings of what it could look like

Source
Old 04-06-18, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

B.S., IMO. A real Bronco has two doors.
Old 04-06-18, 03:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
MM, perhaps, but you know how the market is going these days...

btw, looks good as it is in 4-door guise!
Old 04-06-18, 03:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Fail. It's not cute, not burly, not retro, and not innovative. All Broncos had a boxy grille, and this has a saggy, unrelated look that does nothing. Curvy window line does not match any past Broncos. The rear is a very lazy effort, with a blend of Explorer lighting and a very dated Escape bumper and valance. Is this the best they can do to recreate an icon? Geeze....
Old 04-06-18, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM, perhaps, but you know how the market is going these days...

btw, looks good as it is in 4-door guise!

I agree it doesn't look bad (I'm not wild about it, but definitely not as negative about it as Fizzboy). Still, market or not, IMO, the name Bronco merits a two door. There are several other small four-door SUVs that size on the market for customers to chose from (Renegade, Trax, Encore, Kicks, CX-3, HR-V, etc....)...but a true 2-door Bronco would (currently) be one of a kind in the American market, and attract most of the like-minded customers.

I don't think this image was ever officially released by Ford, but there was a teaser-view of a possible two-door version. That one, IMO, looked great.

Old 04-06-18, 05:40 PM
Hoovey689

The baby Bronco or whatever it may be called, will be a Renegade competitor. A larger Bronco built off the international Ranger T6 will also be part of Ford's SUV onslaught.
Old 04-06-18, 05:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks like a baby Escape. Don't call that girly thing a Bronco anything.
Old 04-06-18, 06:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

And was built by Mazda. Same as Ranger pick up. My daughter used to drive it in high school
B4 she got a Mustang.
Old 04-06-18, 06:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford's shameless use of a legendary name dusted off from the shelves to sell a boxy car on stilts. This is one ugly box, that's for sure and the generation they're trying to aim this at, doesn't even know anything about those two door Broncos of yore. Oh well, if Jeep's been doing it...
Old 04-06-18, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
And was built by Mazda. Same as Ranger pick up. My daughter used to drive it in high school
B4 she got a Mustang.

Actually, it was the opposite. In the American market (not so overseas), the 90s-generation of Mazda trucks (and the Navajo SUV) were actually re-badged versions of the Ford-designed Ranger and 2-door Explorer Sport. That was a Ford design, not Mazda. And the Mazda Tribute SUV was a rebadged, Ford-designed Escape. Mazda did not sell any trucks or SUVs in this country, of their own design, during the time they were owned by Ford. Today, of course, they do. And they also did in the 1980s, before the Ford takeover.
Old 04-06-18, 07:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree it doesn't look bad (I'm not wild about it, but definitely not as negative about it as Fizzboy). Still, market or not, IMO, the name Bronco merits a two door. There are several other small four-door SUVs that size on the market for customers to chose from (Renegade, Trax, Encore, Kicks, CX-3, HR-V, etc....)...but a true 2-door Bronco would (currently) be one of a kind in the American market, and attract most of the like-minded customers.

I don't think this image was ever officially released by Ford, but there was a teaser-view of a possible two-door version. That one, IMO, looked great.

That is the exact route Ford should have taken if they wanted to revive the old name. The model shown today has no relation to anything Bronco.
Old 04-06-18, 07:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ I like this!!
Old 11-15-18, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2020 Ford 'Baby Bronco' maybe Bronco shown in leaked images

Source
Old 03-01-19, 11:52 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 2020 Ford Bronco prototype spy shots

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/28/...#slide-7532731

This thing is so hideous that I'm certain it can't be the actual body. It's literally a Ranger supercab with the bed chopped down and the rear axle moved forward.

If I had to guess, this is a chassis test mule and that they just used a Ranger body cut down to fit. Either to hide the actual design or because they haven't finalized it yet. There's no way it won't be a full 4 door anyway....right?

I need some hope here lol.

When spy photographers catch prototype vehicles, they usually look weird, with various mismatched body panels, coverings and camouflage. This one, however, is really bizarre and it's a little hard to tell what it is. New Ranger with Hummer H2 SUT-style micro bed? No, we're pretty sure it's the 2020 Ford Bronco.

Our first tip-off is that this is definitely Ranger-based, since it has a full Ranger cab. It also has full truck ride height. We're confident the new Bronco will be Ranger-based, and it will be off-road oriented, hence the need for ground clearance. And since the Baby Bronco is going to be based on the Focus platform, we can rule that out, too.

Then there's the wheelbase and the shape of the back half. The wheels have been moved way forward, which wouldn't benefit a truck, but it sure would improve breakover angle for off-roading. The back half is also filled all the way to the top like an SUV, not a truck. Plus, it's short and ends pretty much right at the rear wheels, which would provide a great departure angle for off-roading.

So there you have it, folks, your first look at the 2020 Ford Bronco. The prototype's body is pretty ugly, but it's really what's under the skin that counts. The final design should be boxy and tough. Also, if it's going to be closely based on the Ranger, we expect it will probably take advantage of the same turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four found in the U.S.-market Ranger. In that truck, the engine makes 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque coupled to a 10-speed automatic. That's less power than a Wrangler, but more torque.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport