Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-17, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it was reviewed on motorweek this week - they really liked it, especially the ride quality, but said it will be tough to compete with its competitors.
I can't comment any further without seeing it (though I generally take John Davis at his word)...but, if it doesn't compete, that could (?) be more because of the brand-name than any problem with the vehicle itself. It's still tough to get some people to go to Lincoln dealerships.
Old 04-15-17, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think Lincoln is going to have any issues selling this new Navigator in any way. GM and Ford trucks and SUVs dominate the US market. Ford sold 70k units of the Expedition/Navigator combined last year. How many Sequoia/LX/LC were sold?

People also have to realize that the American body on frame SUVs are a little different than Lexus or Range Rover buyers.

The way i see it. If you compare the Navigator to the Sequoia Platinum or LX570. Its larger, has more power, more room, more MPG, likely lower starting MSRP, all the bells and whistles, heads up display, panoramic sunroof. Has an allumunum body the Navigator is the better SUV. It can also tow a bigger boat too.

Well done to Lincoln.
Old 04-15-17, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't comment any further without seeing it (though I generally take John Davis at his word)...but, if it doesn't compete, that could (?) be more because of the brand-name than any problem with the vehicle itself. It's still tough to get some people to go to Lincoln dealerships.
my bad... posted in wrong thread, the motorweek review was of the CONTINENTAL, not the Navigator...
Old 04-16-17, 03:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my bad... posted in wrong thread, the motorweek review was of the CONTINENTAL, not the Navigator...
OK, Thanks.........I think we already discussed that one. That would make sense, though.....as not too many new Navigators, right now, are probably even in the hands of the auto press, which (almost) always gets them before we, the general public, do.

There was, though, as you noted, a weird and unexplained delay in getting Continental road-tests out. Jill saw a pre-production version in Toronto, and Steve and I actually drove samples here in the D.C. area, before road-tests from the regular press were released. That is very unusual, to say the least.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-17 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-16-17, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

OK, Thanks.........I think we already discussed that one.
no, it was a new episode, only showing 4/14. i can't find the video of it online yet. as you say, press haven't had an easy time getting hold of a continental for a review.

info on that episode and some of the review...
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/car...ln-continental
Old 06-20-17, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This new Navigator is going to be a big hit for Ford. Love, love, love the interior. I think they finally got the PNRD buttons done right.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/all...arts-from.html

After its debut at the 2017 New York Auto Show, the new generation Lincoln Navigator is set to arrive in dealerships this fall.

Prices for the most 'humble' grade start from $72,055, but customers that find it somewhat "small" should know that an even larger, 'Extended' version has now joined the lineup.

It's almost one foot (30cm) longer than the regular model, which translates not only into a more spacious interior, with legroom increasing by 10in (25cm) courtesy of the extended wheelbase, but also into what Ford's premium brand describes as segment-leading boot space, behind the second row of seats.

As expected, the 2018 Lincoln Navigator Extended is more expensive than the regular model, and it will set its future customers back for at least $80,750. However, besides the obvious difference in size, the former comes with 22-inch wheels, compared to the 20-inch ones available on the latter. Moreover, checking some boxes from the options list, while also selecting the Black Label L trim, which starts from $96,905, could easily make this SUV pass the $100,000 barrier.

Lincoln also offers a new Destination interior trim for the Black Label L top-of-the-line grade, which was inspired by vintage luggage - adding Mahogany Red Venetian leather and khaya wood laser-etched appliqués. Buyers can also opt for other themes, such as the Chalet and Yacht Club.
Old 06-20-17, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new Navigator is going to be a big hit for Ford. Love, love, love the interior. I think they finally got the PNRD buttons done right.
What did you find wrong with the former button-layout? With the older pattern, it was vertical right next to the driver, near the video-screen. With the new layout, they are lower, in a horizontal row, under the screen.....a further reach for the driver's right fingers.
Old 06-20-17, 04:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That burgandy leather interior is NICE!!! From the photos, its way nicer than the Escalade. Hopefully its nicer than the new Continential as well, sat in one of those and while nice, it wasn't in the same league as a Benz E-class or a loaded Volvo.

Although I think the real big news with this Navigator is they finally put a decent front clip on it. That's why the old ones didn't sell, they were hideous IMO.
Old 06-20-17, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Although I think the real big news with this Navigator is they finally put a decent front clip on it. That's why the old ones didn't sell, they were hideous IMO.
They were simply too much like the less-expensive Ford Expedition, any way you looked at it.
Old 06-20-17, 08:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They were simply too much like the less-expensive Ford Expedition, any way you looked at it.
Agreed, that's one area the Escalade is a million times better, it doesn't look/feel like a Tahoe, or even a GMC Denali. You also get a bigger V8 and full time AWD, something you can't get in the Tahoe or Suburban, the Navigator had the same engine/drivetrain/4wd system of the Expidition and F150. that is until now, I think that up-tuned Ecoboost V6 is the same one under the hood of the F150 Raptor.
Old 06-20-17, 09:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lincoln is really impressing these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see a coupe in the next five years. The Aviator is slated to return sometime around 2019 if rumors prove true. The MKC, MKX, and now the Navigator are on the right track.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-21-17 at 01:20 PM. Reason: grammar missed while on ipad
Old 06-20-17, 09:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

That never stopped the 2nd (or 3rd) gen Escalade and Yukon Denali. At least even they had different motors from the standard Tahoe.
Old 06-21-17, 12:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lincoln is rally impressing these days. I would be surprised to see a coupe in the next five years. The Aviator is slated to return sometime around 2019 if rumors prove true. The MKC, MKX, and now the Navigator are on the right track.
Well said and I agree. The Navigator and Continental are some pretty compelling products. There's two cross overs are good as well. I just don't like the interior of their MKZ.
Old 06-21-17, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lincoln is really impressing these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see a coupe in the next five years. The Aviator is slated to return sometime around 2019 if rumors prove true. The MKC, MKX, and now the Navigator are on the right track.
I was somewhat smitten by the small MKC when it first came out....really liked the design (and the deep-purple paint option), but, even back then, I was concerned about second-rate assembly quality. Time seems to have borne that out......along with also-questionable build quality on the MKZ (one reason why I turned it down for a Buick Lacrosse). From what LOWFAST has seen and reported on recent Continentals, he's not impressed with their overall quality either, though I didn't notice any problems on the one I reviewed. As for the MKX, initially it seemed to be pretty well-built (better than its smaller MKC brother), at least based on the top-line 60K one I reviewed....(remember, Jill, how you couldn't believe that price LOL) But Consumer Reports only gives it a barely-average rating for its first year for reliability...mostly for hardware problems.

So, it's obvious that it's time to get back to work on that old Ford phrase from 30 years ago.......Quality is Job 1.

Old 06-21-17, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

A time when they were building absolute garbage. What they're making now is worlds, worlds better...

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator