Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That'll be the day. You'll still be swinging in the 15th round.....as with me LOL.
Probably lol

Originally Posted by plex

Majority of my commute is highway heading to Reston, VA from Bowie, MD. I will drive Supra to work at some point go in very early and stay late or leave early around 2pm.
You poor bastard lol. What you need is a helicopter!
Old 04-03-17, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You poor bastard lol. What you need is a helicopter!
Even that won't do, with all the post-9/11 flight-restrictions/prohibitations over and anywhere near the greater D.C. area. Many civilian, non-airline/non-air-cargo operators, who own and operate private aircraft, have simply given up and moved out to outlying airports like Federick, Fredericksburg, Annapolis, Winchester, etc.....
Old 04-03-17, 10:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have a co-worker who has only driven manuals all his life. He's turning 50 next year. So yesterday, he traded in his manual 2003 Tacoma for a brand new 4-Runner from Longo. He is so happy with the whole thing, including the change to automatics. When I dive deeper into the topic with him, he's basically tired of the added cost of fixing manuals over the life of the car. The Tacoma had been bullet-proof, except for the ongoing wear and tear of the transmission. So, I suppose that can be added to the negative list. Then again, manual cars are usually cheaper to purchase than automatic ones, so perhaps it's a wash depending on how long the vehicle is kept.
Personally, I'm happy manually shifting my automatic. Similar control, without the potential clutch issues.
By the way, in the time he was there making the deal at Longo, he had four interested parties for his Tacoma trade. Talk about resale!
I don't know what in the hell he is talking about, with automatics being cheaper over the life of the car. I've had a 1999 Camaro Z28, LS1 V8/4L60e automatic combo, transmission **** the bed around 100k miles, $3000 rebuild. 1991 Buick Regal Sedan, 3.8 V6, 4 speed automatic, **** the bed around 150k miles, $2000 rebuild. 1993 Toyota truck, clutch started slipping around 150k, $600, new clutch, new throw out bearing, new clutch hydraulics. Its much cheaper to replace a clutch than to rebuild an automatic transmission. Depending on the car, if its a good manual gearbox, the synchros/gears will last for the lifetime of the car if you don't beat on it.
Old 04-03-17, 11:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ttsport15
https://youtu.be/pdwt-ABUzf8
heres my friend who prefers a stick also! White mustang notch...
That is a damn impressive time if that guy is slamming his own gears!!!

I've driven both automatic and 6 speed manual versions of the same car(1999 Z28 Camaro, LS1 V8, 4l60e automatic, t-top vs a 1998 Z28 Camaro, LS1 V8, T-56 Manual, convertible) on the drag strip. Automatic is the way to go on the drag strip, as I was about 2 to 3 10ths quicker through the 1/8th mile with the auto because I could get a better launch off the line. Better tires, the manual might have been faster, but I was damn consistent in that auto car, always running an 8.61-8.62 on an 8.60 dial in. With the mods mentioned below it dropped to a consistent 8.0 to 8.1

That being said, the manual Camaro convertible was a lot more fun to drive on the open road vs the automatic. Although that automatic did rule the stoplight to stoplight race, especially after I changed the gear ratio, put bigger tires on the back, and installed a higher stall torque converter. That automatic car launched HARD off the line. Still it was a 1 trick pony, from a dead stop it was a BEAST, but from any sort of roll race, at any speed, that manual transmission convertible was faster.

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-03-17 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Depending on the car, if its a good manual gearbox, the synchros/gears will last for the lifetime of the car if you don't beat on it.
...........Depending on the traffic.
Old 04-04-17, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even that won't do, with all the post-9/11 flight-restrictions/prohibitations over and anywhere near the greater D.C. area. Many civilian, non-airline/non-air-cargo operators, who own and operate private aircraft, have simply given up and moved out to outlying airports like Federick, Fredericksburg, Annapolis, Winchester, etc.....
What we need is for somebody to invent the teleporter lol
Old 04-04-17, 08:18 AM
Seppo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current priorities and driving pattern have me in a class of vehicle that doesn't come with anything other than an automatic transmission. It's only in the last three years that I have had two-pedal cars, after decades and nearly a million miles of stick shifts only. I expect my driving needs will change in a couple of years, and I look forward to returning to driving manual transmission once again, instead of feeling like I'm in Grandpa's rental car. LOL
Old 04-05-17, 10:50 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

For daily driving I prefer an auto hands down....In NYC/LI traffic a manual would get old fast..

However when I had my Vette Grand Sport (not a DD) it had a 6MT and it was a blast to drive.. So naturally when I was looking for my CTS-V I was originally getting the 6MT. But then I felt bad because my wife was never able to drive the GS and mentioned it several times over the years that it must be fun to drive.

So while searching for the CTS-V I asked her, if I was to get an auto would you occasionally (with me) drive it to see what it feels like? And without hesitation she told me yes... That was 3-1/2 years ago, and while I ask her all the time when we're out if she wants to drive it, ask me how many times she has driven it...........That's correct.......ZERO!!!

I love my CTS-V and plan to keep it forever, but I really wish I would have gotten the 6MT.
Old 04-05-17, 11:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Teach your wife to drive stick, it isn't hard once you get over the intimidation factor. If she really appreciates your hobby, she will learn.
Old 04-06-17, 05:15 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Teach your wife to drive stick, it isn't hard once you get over the intimidation factor. If she really appreciates your hobby, she will learn.
I tried that 25 years ago and it was not pretty, she's actually a very good driver but just couldn't get it, she kept using the clutch as a brake.. I tried again 5 years ago and she just didn't have the desire to learn to. Now that I no longer have a stick in the family trying to teach her will not be happening anytime soon.

I taught my oldest son, now almost 24 to drive one as soon as he got his license 6 years ago and he's hooked too. However, my other two sons 20 & 16 also don't have the desire to learn, although my 16 year old sometimes shows interest so there's still hope.. LOL.
Old 04-06-17, 08:52 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Traffic is always the argument against the manual transmission, but truthfully once you get used to it I do not find it to be a big deal.
I used to have a commute that entailed a fair amount of stop and go traffic. I did it for years with a manual transmission because I was a car guy. One time my regular car was down, so I borrowed my wife's car with an automatic. Halfway to work it dawned on me how nice it was not to have to pedal the car all the way there. The next week I sold my manual transmission car and bought an automatic to commute in. (Later bought a Miata for non-commute driving).

So for general use I'm still in favor of manuals, but for heavy traffic an automatic is the way to go.
Old 04-06-17, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i still have my nsx for two reasons:
1) it's going up in value
2) i can have fun with manual tranny