Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No one is buying cars anymore....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 11:00 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default No one is buying cars anymore....

Ok I'll correct the title...no one is buying sedans anymore...

As a sedan-lover through and through (better mileage, arguably better comfort, classy, lower TCO) I'm one of those "why do you need a SUV/Crossover?" people. My wife hates sedans (she grew up in truck country in WV), wants to sit up high, wants a 3rd row seat that we use 2x a year and is content with 16mpg city while picking up the kids. At least my LS averages 19mpg city =P

Anyway reading this:
http://jalopnik.com/nobodys-buying-c...ore-1793959638

This trend is becoming more and more pronounced....and I'm selfishly thinking long-term when I look for a used LS to replace my 2010, there will be fewer of them (which may translate to higher pricing). Toyota confirmed they sold pretty much as many RAV4's as they did Camry's last year, and the stats in the Jalopnik article shows more volume (and ultimately profit) is going to non-sedans.

Short-term thought = I learned from reading a 2017 Ridgeline review people buy cars they want, not cars they need. Which is why the Ridgeline will never be a top seller in the US. With the new Volkswagon Atlas SUV as well as the Subaru SUV, it seems for the next few years sounds like the industry (and potentially investment in the industry) will go towards SUV's/crossovers.
Mid-term thought = when gas prices go up (it inevitably will), are they going to dump the SUV/crossover craze and go back to hybrids like a decade ago? What happens to the resale values of the well-liked F-Pace or Acadia?.
Long-term thought = cars won't need human intervention to drive in 50 years, why care? =)
Old 04-03-17, 11:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a chicken and egg thing...

I love this comment at the end of that Jalopnik article:

If Starbucks would just lower their drive-thru windows by six goddamn inches nobody would need a crossover.
So the crossover / utility vehicle craze is Starbucks' fault?
Old 04-03-17, 12:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Short-term thought = I learned from reading a 2017 Ridgeline review people buy cars they want, not cars they need. Which is why the Ridgeline will never be a top seller in the US. With the new Volkswagon Atlas SUV as well as the Subaru SUV, it seems for the next few years sounds like the industry (and potentially investment in the industry) will go towards SUV's/crossovers.
We are seeing that happen now. Fiat-Chrysler is dropping smaller cars completely from its lineup, as is Buick, to concentrate on crossovers.

Mid-term thought = when gas prices go up (it inevitably will), are they going to dump the SUV/crossover craze and go back to hybrids like a decade ago? What happens to the resale values of the well-liked F-Pace or Acadia?.
I think that we will see resale values of larger utility vehicles drop, to be replaced by lower, lighter vehicles, including sedans and all-terrain wagons (such as the Subaru Outback, VW Golf Alltrack and Audi allroad models). We will probably see more alternate fuel vehicles, including all variations of hybrids and more EVs, as well.
Old 04-03-17, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, I guess I'm a nobody, then. I'm in the market for an entry-level luxury sedan right now, as we speak. Currently considering the Lacrosse, MKZ, G80, and ES350.
Old 04-03-17, 12:43 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I guess I'm a nobody, then. I'm in the market for an entry-level luxury sedan right now, as we speak. Currently considering the Lacrosse, MKZ, G80, and ES350.
Hah I know mmarshall, you're a rare breed =) like when I see Lacrosse has a 200+ day supply on dealer lots....even saw a 2015 new SS on Autotrader recently....
Old 04-03-17, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

meanwhile, Jeep Grand Cherokee up 22% year over year in March with sales of 20,374
Old 04-03-17, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hah I know mmarshall, you're a rare breed =) like when I see Lacrosse has a 200+ day supply on dealer lots....even saw a 2015 new SS on Autotrader recently....
My Chevy/Buick/GMC shop had a white SS in the showroom for months (I actually did a static review on it before I did a formal road test on one outside). I was surprised how long it sat there, given what a nice competitor it was to the Hemi Dodge Chargers. SS's even come with a REAL (not temporary) spare tire and wheel, though it is part of a $900 option package (or at least was so at the time).
Old 04-03-17, 07:01 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

mmarshall this should persuade you to refocus your search on a non-sedan =)

Buick: 75% of their deliveries were crossovers....40% of the total Buick volume came from the Encore

The Encore...the fancier variant of the horrendous Chevy Trax (one of the worst reviewed cars on Jalopnik in 2015! http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-c...ter-1681882228 )
Like I said, people buy the cars they want, not the cars they need.
Old 04-03-17, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall this should persuade you to refocus your search on a non-sedan =)

Buick: 75% of their deliveries were crossovers....40% of the total Buick volume came from the Encore
I don't particularly like the Encore. It has a nice interior (2013-2016 versions more so than the latest 2017, which was redesigned inside), and the good Opel-based Buick reliability. But I find it too stubby (despite its easy manverabilty and parking), awkward-looking, underpowered (138 HP from a 1.6L turbo), and, IMO, not really deserving of the Buick nameplate.
Old 04-03-17, 07:21 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

14 mpg, 3 yr warranty, GM reliability, stop-sale orders, vehicle recalls, run down outdated dealership experience, GM corporate treasonous attitude towards public safety

i'm sure there are other reasons but those are the ones that immediately come to mind
Old 04-03-17, 07:25 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

As a sedan-lover through and through (better mileage, arguably better comfort, classy, lower TCO) I'm one of those "why do you need a SUV/Crossover?" people. My wife hates sedans (she grew up in truck country in WV), wants to sit up high, wants a 3rd row seat that we use 2x a year and is content with 16mpg city while picking up the kids. At least my LS averages 19mpg city =P

Anyway reading this:
http://jalopnik.com/nobodys-buying-c...ore-1793959638

This trend is becoming more and more pronounced....and I'm selfishly thinking long-term when I look for a used LS to replace my 2010, there will be fewer of them (which may translate to higher pricing). Toyota confirmed they sold pretty much as many RAV4's as they did Camry's last year, and the stats in the Jalopnik article shows more volume (and ultimately profit) is going to non-sedans.

Long-term thought = cars won't need human intervention to drive in 50 years, why care? =)
In TX and Washington most people drive Pickup truck or SUV, not all States drive those, in Canada we only Drive Sedan or Coupe, those moronic drives a pickup truck or an SUV are Women or afraid of dead little man, Canadian drivers are funny most of them are 5 feet and they drive a Van a pickup or an SUV.

You never know, buying a vehicle is like buying clothing, you buy whatever you like or suits you, no offend but most women can't drive including my wife.
Old 04-03-17, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
14 mpg, 3 yr warranty, GM reliability, stop-sale orders, vehicle recalls, run down outdated dealership experience, GM corporate treasonous attitude towards public safety

i'm sure there are other reasons but those are the ones that immediately come to mind
You're a little out of date on some of this. GM reliability is, overall, significantly better than Ford or Chrysler (especially with the Opel-based Buicks). According to Consumer Reports, Buick, overall, now trails only Lexus and Toyota in reliability, and GMC and Chevy are at least average. Only Cadillac (and the big, full-sized GM SUVs on the truck-frames) still seem to have reliability problems. And the people that were responsible for the ignition-switch disaster are long gone. Marry Barra, an honest lady, is at GM's helm now....and she doesn't put up with nonsense.
Old 04-03-17, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
meanwhile, Jeep Grand Cherokee up 22% year over year in March with sales of 20,374
Wow...amazing especially considering it's an older model at this point.
Old 04-03-17, 07:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I can totally see why someone who only has one vehicle would not get a sedan. Not exactly great on the utility side. Especially compact sedans, pretty useless with their tiny back seats and trunks. Maybe okay for a young family with small kids but after that....
Old 04-03-17, 07:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

<-------Drives away in his gas guzzling lifted Ram....

Quick Reply: No one is buying cars anymore....