Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I always had manual shift when I had Bimmers quite a while. With Lexus RX, I don't think it matters.
I've never heard of a manual-transmission RX. They all come with either conventional torque-converter automatics, or, in the case of the Hybrids, with CVTs.
Old 04-02-17, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

He means with something like an RX why would anybody care about having a manual.
Old 04-02-17, 07:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer manuals in my cars - trucks not really.

Manual trans cars I've owned: Honda CRX, Acura Integra, 1984 Corvette (4+3), 2004 Corvette, 2006 Corvette, 2002 Boxster, 2013 WRX; all would have way less fun and less 'drive-able' without the manual transmission.

yeah yeah I know new trannys can shift faster than me - but they don't know what I'm thinking!
Old 04-02-17, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
yeah yeah I know new trannys can shift faster than me - but they don't know what I'm thinking!
Why would you want to shift fast in the first place? That just puts stress and wear on the parts...especially the synchros.
Old 04-02-17, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why would you want to shift fast in the first place? That just puts stress and wear on the parts...especially the synchros.
because you're driving in a fast and spirited manner?
Old 04-02-17, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
because you're driving in a fast and spirited manner?
That can still be (reasonably) done without grinding or wearing out one's synchros. I don't see where a second or two difference from 0-60...or in downshifting for sharp curves...really makes that much difference. And that's where a good short-throw design for the lever comes in...the Miata/Fiat Spyder is an excellent RWD example, as is the FWD Honda Civic manual. The shorter the throw, the slower you have to move it to achieve the same results. Each to his (or her) own, though.
Old 04-02-17, 09:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And you are assuming that someone who is shifting quickly is doing so in a manner that is damaging to ones synchros. .
Old 04-03-17, 05:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

He's just saying automatics make gear changes quicker than a person changing gears with a manual, and he's correct. It can lead to faster/better performance but isn't as much fun.
Old 04-03-17, 05:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

My Supra is manual but it's not a daily. With DC area traffic an automatic is just find for me commuting.
Old 04-03-17, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And you are assuming that someone who is shifting quickly is doing so in a manner that is damaging to ones synchros.
Obviously, each transmission is different....but, in general, the quicker the shift, the more pressure and stress put on the synchros. That's one reason, among several, why Nissan, a number of years ago (I don't know if you have sampled one....I have) developed a rev-matching manual transmission for the 370Z sports car. As you push in the clutch, the engine-computer speeds up (or slows down) the RPM to match that of the applicable transmission-shaft, so the transmission doesn't suffer from shift-shock/synchro-shock when when the clutch pedal comes back out. It essentially replaces the more difficult and traditional heel-and-toe or double-clutch methods of RPM-matching...which can be tricky for a lot of people. Of course, it can be argued (and I agree to some extent), that an electronic RPM-device like that is not true manual shifting. The device can be turned off if desired.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-17 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I give up lol
Old 04-03-17, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I give up lol
That'll be the day. You'll still be swinging in the 15th round.....as with me LOL.

Anyhow, a little off-topic, but I'm going to take at least some of your advice and check out a 3.8 AWD G80 today (if there are any in stock). I checked out a 5.0L Hyundai Genesis (same basic car) a couple of years ago and found it superb...but only with RWD. It's the only non-FWD sedan currently on my shopping list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
My Supra is manual but it's not a daily. With DC area traffic an automatic is just find for me commuting.
Agreed. I couldn't imagine rowing one's gears in this area at the height of rush-hour. With all of the stop-lights, stop-signs, and speed-bumps, it's bad enough even at 2 AM LOL.
Old 04-03-17, 07:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Obviously, each transmission is different....but, in general, the quicker the shift, the more pressure and stress put on the synchros. That's one reason, among several, why Nissan, a number of years ago (I don't know if you have sampled one....I have) developed a rev-matching manual transmission for the 370Z sports car. As you push in the clutch, the engine-computer speeds up (or slows down) the RPM to match that of the applicable transmission-shaft, so the transmission doesn't suffer from shift-shock/synchro-shock when when the clutch pedal comes back out. It essentially replaces the more difficult and traditional heel-and-toe or double-clutch methods of RPM-matching...which can be tricky for a lot of people. Of course, it can be argued (and I agree to some extent), that an electronic RPM-device like that is not true manual shifting. The device can be turned off if desired.
I bang gears in my Supra ever so often, most torque I will make is around 655 on current setup, clutch is rated for 750 torque. I know of some high power Supras are past 1K torque on stock trans, they are running triple or quad disks for clutch setup though and they also bang gears. The V160 is very stout can't speak for other trans, point is I shift fast now and then.

Agreed. I couldn't imagine rowing one's gears in this area at the height of rush-hour. With all of the stop-lights, stop-signs, and speed-bumps, it's bad enough even at 2 AM LOL.
Majority of my commute is highway heading to Reston, VA from Bowie, MD. I will drive Supra to work at some point go in very early and stay late or leave early around 2pm.
Old 04-03-17, 09:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

For daily driving I will take an automatic all day, any day in the D.C. Metro. For a weekend fun car I would pick a manual every time even if it's not as quick as a DCT or the like, it's just more fun for me.

Quick Reply: Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??