Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Oh yeah, you would love the visibility Mike

No, didn't like the rotary **** on the Pacifica either, but on a vehicle like that it would bug me less than on a vehicle like the Range Rover. Salesman said it's a common complaint.

Wouldn't call the RR a "dedicated off-roader", it's not a GWagon. It's primary life will be spent on the road and you can see that they understand that in the design.
Old 03-29-17, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

if one doesn't want traditional RR looks, the new velar looks incredible.
thanks for the awesome review of the hse... fabulous vehicle. 2 of my brothers own big RRs, one probably about a 2013 or so and the other had a 'new' one then around 2014 but not has a much older one because he got a mid life crisis bmw z4 but still wanted a classic rr they LOVE them and have had no issues at all.

obviously having a brand new one for just a lease period isn't risky at all - i'd love to drive one.
Old 03-29-17, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Wouldn't call the RR a "dedicated off-roader", it's not a GWagon. It's primary life will be spent on the road and you can see that they understand that in the design.
primary intended use is for the royal family to drive them to a pheasant or grouse shoot in the rolling grassy Scottish highlands.
the air suspension will get them there without spilling a flask of scotch or some tea.
Old 03-29-17, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the Velar looks awesome, and has just enough of the RR look while being smooth and contemporary, I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.

If you like your Jeep you would love this. It's like the ultimate Jeep lol. They clearly had the RR in mind when they designed the Grand Cherokee.

It's like I told my wife, what if I have to show a house on the other side of a mountain? Or a deep river? Or a bog? How can I afford NOT to get this Range Rover? She didn't seem to follow my logic lol
Old 03-29-17, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Oh yeah, you would love the visibility Mike
There's no question that back-up cameras and side/cross-traffic alert systems help, but, IMO, there's no substitute for good old-fashioned glass...even in the sun, with today's efficient A/C systems.

No, didn't like the rotary **** on the Pacifica either, but on a vehicle like that it would bug me less than on a vehicle like the Range Rover. Salesman said it's a common complaint.
I'll give you this much.......I prefer it to the classic E-Shifters.

(Speaking of that, I'm going to take another Lacrosse out on a test-drive today, after my daily swim, not for a review, but to specifically see if I can get used to the shifter)

Yes, like the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX, it comes with an (apparently) very quiet, on-road pavement tread-pattern for the tires that won't growl and moan like off-road tires. My point, though, was that if and when one does go off-road (and it their insurance policy allows it....many don't), there has to be enough rubber in the sidewalls to keep from damaging or destroying those expensive alloy wheels.
Old 03-29-17, 11:50 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Buying a new Range Rover with cash is one of the worst financial decisions one could make.

LOL, you think wealthy folks buying a Range in cash really care about this?

Last edited by Diesel350; 03-29-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
LOL, you think wealthy folks buying a Range in cash really care about this?
I agree. If someone is doing this there is a very good chance they've made some wise financial decisions elsewhere.
Old 03-29-17, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. If someone is doing this there is a very good chance they've made some wise financial decisions elsewhere.
.....like NOT spending 100K on a vehicle before and saving that money until now LOL.
Old 03-29-17, 03:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.....like NOT spending 100K on a vehicle before and saving that money until now LOL.
In many cases where someone is choosing to pay cash for a vehicle like this they may have sold or traded in a high end vehicle. Say their sale or trade in generated $40- $50k, the out of pocket becomes around $50k. Very doable.
Old 03-29-17, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its all relative. If you're at the income level where you should be to entertain purchasing a car like this, the car payment is a smaller % of your monthly income than most people's car payments are on their Corollas, Camrys etc. If you're going to pay cash for it, you've got cash lol. Personally I would never pay cash for any car but thats another topic.

To me its a question of value. $100,000 is a LOT of money to spend on a car, its something I CAN do, but the car has to be something special. Does this qualify? I think so...I think an S550 would qualify too, although like I said I have a drive to try something new and I have to explore if that means a different make or an entirely different sort of vehicle.

You do pay a premium over a 6 figure flagship sedan. Model spec'ed at $100,450 with a $2k discount, so $98,450. If you lease its interesting, their MF is terrible, .00205, but their residual is incredible, 62% 15k 36 months. The diesel has an even better residual but slightly higher MF. With $2k off and everything rolled in, nothing out of pocket it was $1,442 36/15. I'd be afraid to do less mileage because of the very high residual, would be worried I wouldn't be able to get back out of it. I would also have to consider purchasing because of the bonus depreciation I could take as a business owner. Have to look at the numbers and see what was best.

Like I said, its a LOT of money, $1,450/mo is a beach condo lol

If you compare it to an S550 optioned how I would want, MSRP $113,215...$15,000 off of that is no problem. Lease rates MF right now is .00114 for AWD, residual for 15k is 51%. So for a 36 month 15k lease on a $113k S550 I'm looking at $1,405. Thats less monthly for a $13,000 more expensive vehicle.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-29-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its all relative. If you're at the income level where you should be to entertain purchasing a car like this, the car payment is a smaller % of your monthly income than most people's car payments are on their Corollas, Camrys etc. If you're going to pay cash for it, you've got cash lol. Personally I would never pay cash for any car but thats another topic.

To me its a question of value. $100,000 is a LOT of money to spend on a car, its something I CAN do, but the car has to be something special. Does this qualify? I think so...I think an S550 would qualify too, although like I said I have a drive to try something new and I have to explore if that means a different make or an entirely different sort of vehicle.

You do pay a premium over a 6 figure flagship sedan. Model spec'ed at $100,450 with a $2k discount, so $98,450. If you lease its interesting, their MF is terrible, .00205, but their residual is incredible, 62% 15k 36 months. The diesel has an even better residual but slightly higher MF. With $2k off and everything rolled in, nothing out of pocket it was $1,442 36/15. I'd be afraid to do less mileage because of the very high residual, would be worried I wouldn't be able to get back out of it. I would also have to consider purchasing because of the bonus depreciation I could take as a business owner. Have to look at the numbers and see what was best.

If you compare it to an S550 optioned how I would want, MSRP $113,215...$15,000 off of that is no problem. Lease rates MF right now is .00114 for AWD, residual for 15k is 51%. So for a 36 month 15k lease on a $113k S550 I'm looking at $1,405. Thats less monthly for a $13,000 more expensive vehicle.

Don't take any of this personally, Steve. We all know that, as a responsible real estate agent, homeowner, husband, and father, you would not bite off more than you can chew on a new car. It needs no detailed explanation. Same here....I wouldn't be looking at premium/entry-luxury sedans in the price range I currently am if I couldn't afford it, either. Those of us who regularly give car-buying advice to others are usually not careless enough to get in over our own heads LOL.
Old 03-29-17, 04:39 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Range Rover Sports is the one as a bench mark. One of the top class as far as off-road adventure goes.n design philosophy which they adhere to traditionally. As a consumer one needs to resonate to that design philosophy. Like some are smaller statue female friendly to appeal to them. At my age all I care in driving is comfort and
safety and on top of that reliability, probably in that order.
Old 03-29-17, 10:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
My wife is in the market for a large SUV and I've always asked her to at least test drive the RR (we have a dealership ~5 miles away for potentially-frequent-service/repair-visits...hehe) but she has steadfastly refused time after time simply because of the perceived reliability. I'm thinking if I get a CPO one that may be a short-mid-term decent decision should it come down to it. Glad you were able to validate that, despite pre-conceived reliability woes, the RR is a stoutly built vehicle that deserves a look!
Same here, Wandl! It was between a 2013+ LS or 2014 RRS. I was blown away by the RRS. Best riding SUV that I've ever driven and I love the prestige and sophistication too. Loved the styling as well, although the wife and some of her friends thought it looked real ugly and like a bus. She was convinced I would quickly get tired of the style. Nah-uh! I even sent the LR/Jaguar salesperson some incriminating J.D. Power survey results in hopes that she could help me paint things in a more flattering light but once the wife got wind of the reliability ratings the idea of an RRS in the garage died on the spot. I straight love our 2013 LS but it would have been nice to snag a 2014 RRS.
Old 03-29-17, 10:12 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

You do pay a premium over a 6 figure flagship sedan. Model spec'ed at $100,450 with a $2k discount, so $98,450. If you lease its interesting, their MF is terrible, .00205, but their residual is incredible, 62% 15k 36 months. The diesel has an even better residual but slightly higher MF. With $2k off and everything rolled in, nothing out of pocket it was $1,442 36/15. I'd be afraid to do less mileage because of the very high residual, would be worried I wouldn't be able to get back out of it.
Can you explain that last part please, Steve? I thought less annual miles would mean higher residual and, thus, lower monthly?? Why would that be necessarily bad? Unless you don't want too restrictive of mileage?

Read FastTags sticky on leasing. Well written and helped remove the mysteries of leasing for me. Based on that sticky, wow that MF truly is high! Man, and I thought the RRS lease was high at $1300...but actually, $1450 isn't bad since the RR is significantly more expensive than the RRS. I guess we're just not there yet in terms of income nor wealth.
Old 03-30-17, 06:32 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

If spending $100k+ why not go with the SVR? Go all out!!

http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles...svr/index.html

Quick Reply: Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE