Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I checked the specs. For all intents and purposes, they are the same size. The Impala is an inch longer, the LS an inch wider, though Chevy takes that width-measurement with the side-mirrors folded.
The point is you saying the Impala is a safe choice for you but other cars are too big for your parking space doesn't make any sense. The Impala is the biggest car on your list by a wide margin.
Old 03-21-17, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The point is you saying the Impala is a safe choice for you but other cars are too big for your parking space doesn't make any sense. The Impala is the biggest car on your list by a wide margin.
That's why it is not one of my absolute top choices right now....down about 5 or 6 points. The Lacrosse, BTW, which is done on the same platform, is about 3-4 inches shorter.

Perhaps (?) I might relent a little on the Lacrosse's shifter. I still think its basic function (the way the pattern is set up, with the lever constantly snapping back to the middle position), like most E-Shifters, is a PITA.....especially setting it up in car-wash mode for rolling through the wash-bay. But, it does have one nice feature I like........simply turn the engine off, open the door, and Presto....it automatically goes into Park for you. That's to keep the car from accidentally rolling away in neutral when one steps out...which has been a problem on some E-Shifters, causing accidents and injuries (Jeep, for example, had some problems on that with some versions of the Grand Cherokee). I don't like the Lacrosse's non-defeatable engine idle-stop function, either, but even that has some useful functions in saving fuel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 08:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Another good thing about the stop/start function(and hybrids) is they cut down on air pollution, especially in big cities when you're stuck at a light or just moving at a crawl.
Old 03-21-17, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Off topic but all this talk of car brands caused me to look at your sig pic and noticed it needs an upgrade as several brands like Scion, Saturn and Daewoo are long gone,
Old 03-21-17, 10:04 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of the list you've given, i'd personally go for the ES. I drove the Lacrosse before as well as the ES both current models. I have to say I felt no steering response (could barely feel turns, the road, etc) when driving the Lacrosse. It was like a boat. This is coming from an IS owner though lol, so take it for what you will. Also looking at Aesthetics, the ES wins all day.
Old 03-22-17, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Off topic but all this talk of car brands caused me to look at your sig pic and noticed it needs an upgrade as several brands like Scion, Saturn and Daewoo are long gone,
Correct..but that doesn't mean I don't talk about them from time to time. I found the innovative plastic-body Saturn S-Series cars, in particular (before they ruined the division by trying to use it to replace Oldsmobile), quite fascinating.
Old 03-23-17, 07:24 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

You don't just have to sit there and stare at the walls. A lot of shops today, even non-Lexus ones, have Internet-access, Wi-Fi, play areas for kids, snack bars, and other nice facilities. Of course, the older, smaller shops are going to lag behind the newer, larger ones in that department....but even they are usually more than just bare waiting rooms. Or, you could do what I do, as a car enthusiast, and do a static-review or test-drive while you are waiting.

I used to insist on being with the car, and the technician, while it was being worked on, to make sure that the technician wasn't being careless and to thoroughly explain any problem I was having (I've seen a few bozos here and there in the service business), but not many places allow that any more because of their lawyers and insurance.
Maybe it was just my Hyundai service department, but I felt it was sub par for both the techs and advisors. I think the new concierge service might help with the latter, but I am sure they would take the car to the nearest Hyundai service shop.
Old 03-23-17, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilvrBulet
Out of the list you've given, i'd personally go for the ES. I drove the Lacrosse before as well as the ES both current models. I have to say I felt no steering response (could barely feel turns, the road, etc) when driving the Lacrosse. It was like a boat. This is coming from an IS owner though lol, so take it for what you will. Also looking at Aesthetics, the ES wins all day.
Thanks for your input. I tend not to be a canyon-carver, though I don't necessarily always drive like Grandpa or Grandma. So, steering feel is usually not of huge concern to me, though I have to admit that driving one of the last-generation BMW 3-series (especially when I did my full-review of a 335i) was a real treat.

I agree that the ES is probably the best bet for long-term reliability (though I usually don't keep a car more than 5-6 years), and shows the best assembly quality from the factory....especially compared to the somewhat loosely-built MKZ. But, for this class of car, there are some cheap touches inside with the interior trim, the sheet metal/door solidness is unimpressive, and the ride, while still nice and refined compared to many other sedans, does not have the silky-smoothness it did in past generations.
Old 03-23-17, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I appreciate the (many) inputs from all of you so far. Thank you. I spend a lot of my time advising others on what might be best for them, yet, sometimes, when it comes to my own shopping, it's not easy for me to make up my own mind. Part of that is because I review and test-drive so many vehicles, and see so much of what is actually available out there with today's excellent vehicles....there is such a wide choice. (and much of what I don't see behind the wheel, I learn from you all here in Car Chat and your expertise) . When I grew up and learned to drive, for instance, you basically had three practical choices...a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product (my late father was a fierce Chrysler fan, even after their build-quality went way downhill in the late 60s, though I tended to like the big Buicks, Mercurys, and Oldsmobiles of the period). At that time, AMC, though not completely out of the picture, was not a practical option, and most imports of the time were either laughable, dangerous in an accident, or too expensive, without an adequate dealer network. That is simply not the case today.....where many imports are not only competitive but, in some cases, even built here in the U.S.

Though I'm still generally attracted to entry-level luxury sedans (the biggest luxury cars today would be too large and bulky for my condo-space), I'm open to a few SUVs. I like the current Lincoln MKX and MKC, though IMO the MKC's build-quality is disappointing. The Lexus RX is an excellent vehicle underneath the skin.....but, Oh, that skin. LOL. The pint-sized Buick Encore is maneuverable and quite easy to park anywhere, has the plushest interior in the B-class SUV/CUV range, and, like the Verano, is quite reliable from its Opel-roots, but the 1.6L turbo four is, IMO, a Mickey-Mouse engine that is clearly underpowered even for an SUV this small, particularly with AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-17 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 05:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're looking midsized luxury SUVs, definitely consider the Audi Q5. It drives great, is one of the best lookers in the segment with hands-down the best interior, and Audi has been tops for reliability the past two years (better than Honda and Toyota/Lexus). A Premium Plus with the 2.0T lists for about $47k with the technology package, or $43k without. I know you're not a huge fans of 4-cylinder turbos in general, but the Audi 2.0T is one of the best engines made by anyone. The 3.0T supercharged V6 (also an excellent engine) adds a little over $3k for a similarly-equipped model, though it does make available some additional options that could bring the price up further.

If you were actually considering the Encore, the Q3 would be an option too.
Old 03-24-17, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
If you're looking midsized luxury SUVs, definitely consider the Audi Q5. It drives great, is one of the best lookers in the segment with hands-down the best interior, and Audi has been tops for reliability the past two years (better than Honda and Toyota/Lexus). A Premium Plus with the 2.0T lists for about $47k with the technology package, or $43k without. I know you're not a huge fans of 4-cylinder turbos in general, but the Audi 2.0T is one of the best engines made by anyone. The 3.0T supercharged V6 (also an excellent engine) adds a little over $3k for a similarly-equipped model, though it does make available some additional options that could bring the price up further.

If you were actually considering the Encore, the Q3 would be an option too.
Thanks. It's true that I'd generally prefer a N/A V6 over a turbo 4 (as would probably many of you), but I'm not totally against T4's if they are reasonably refined, aren't noisy or vibrate, and are not overstressed either by the load on them or by too much turbo-boost. (Costly oil changes, though, with full-synthetic). You're correct that VW/Audi has one of the best 2.0Ts in the business (always did), but so does Lincoln's in the new MKZ....one of the top contenders on my list.

I looked at several Audi SUVs lately in the showroom (didn't have time for test-drives) and I agree they are impressive in several areas, though the Q7 has one of those awkward electronic shifters. Their standard factory warranty, though, like most German makes, is only 4/50, even on the drivetrain (I usually keep a vehicle 5-6 years), and Audis can be expensive to repair or service if not warranty-covered. I'm not terribly impressed with how the somewhat aristocratic Audi dealerships here in the D.C. area operate. And, in the past, I wasn't all that concerned with where a vehicle was built...my attitude was that if it did the job, it was under consideration. But the American auto worker has lost so much, over the years, to globalization, outsourcing, and cost-cutting that Trump has made a good case for buying American. Most of my top contenders (including the Lexus ES) are built in American plants, with American labor....and those that are not are from nearby Canadian plants just across the border in Ontario. Trump also wants a 35% tariff on vehicles sold in the U.S. that are not built here.....classic protectionism. We don't know yet if he will actually get that tariff or not, but, if so, it will likely affect those prices.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-17 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 03:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I looked at several Audi SUVs lately in the showroom (didn't have time for test-drives) and I agree they are impressive in several areas, though the Q7 has one of those awkward electronic shifters. Their standard factory warranty, though, like most German makes, is only 4/50, even on the drivetrain (I usually keep a vehicle 5-6 years), and Audis can be expensive to repair or service if not warranty-covered. I'm not terribly impressed with how the somewhat aristocratic Audi dealerships here in the D.C. area operate.
you can get an extended warranty to cover the extra year or 2. not sure what you mean by aristocratic way of operating. but probaby the shifter is a show stopper anyway.
Old 03-24-17, 05:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

you can get an extended warranty to cover the extra year or 2. not sure what you mean by aristocratic way of operating. but probaby the shifter is a show stopper anyway.
Maybe wearing tuxedos and cummerbunds?
Old 03-24-17, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Of course...I'm aware of that. But, with vehicles that cost what Audis do, IMO, an extended warranty should not be necessary. Even Buick, which is not considered a full-luxury brand, gives you a limited paid subscription to OnStar and the same 6/70 and 4/50 coverage as Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. So why can't the Germans do the same thing?

As far as the "aristocratic" way of doing business, some premium German-brand dealerships seem to have never gotten the message that luxury-grade vehicles from Korea, the U.S., Sweden, and Japan now seriously compete with them...they seem to think that they still own the premium-vehicle market. That is not true, of course, for all of them, but a number of them still exist.
Old 03-24-17, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

If anything I've found Audi dealers less stuffy than other luxury brands. The big one in Chantilly was very nice, laid back, friendly salespeople. Big open dealer without a lot of adornments, very German.

Quick Reply: OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.