Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think he was making a funny lol
Actually, a lot of parking lots where you have a number of older people certainly do have their share of ES350s and LaCrosses. That's not humor, but a fact. In fact, a number of those owners I've talked to say they cross-shopped between those two before settling on one or another.

In my particular case, though, my interest in easy-riding vehicles like this does not necessarily reflect my age. In addition to the normal teen-age attraction to the American muscle-cars of that era (especially the Plymouth Road Runner), I also liked big soft-riding luxury cars when I was in high school and college (as did several of my closest friends)....though those same cars today would be far too large for the conditions I live and typically drive in.
Old 03-20-17, 04:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I think he was making a funny lol
Yes, he was just kidding.
Old 03-20-17, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, he was just kidding.
I don't mind a little humor. I occasionally inject some myself.
Old 03-20-17, 05:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Generally speaking, i like to keep my cars that i own for already ten years minimum. I also like to pay them off as soon as I can at time of purchase or with a small finance. With the age and miles, i would probably keep this car for another 5 years. I am impartial to small cars that are light.

With that all said, I would get something that is minimum a new chassis design that is not too old. And i would get as much new and interesting technology as possible.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-20-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Generally speaking, i like to keep my cars that i own for already ten years minimum. I also like to pay them off as soon as I can at time of purchase or with a small finance. With the age and miles, i would probably keep this car for another 5 years. With that said, perhaps the car is not as satisifying as we are being led to believe.
Thanks for your input, Jill, but several things. First, money is not an issue with me. I pay cash for every car I've ever owned...my somewhat frugal life-style, diligent savings, and long good career, have allowed me to have a well-financed nest egg and plenty in the bank and brokerage. (You are correct, IMO, to pay them off your own cars ASAP. I usually don't agree with those who say to hold that money back and re-invest it...get out of debt ASAP). Second, I have no reason to lie (or stretch the truth) about my present car, or any other car I've owned....especially on a public forum where one's integrity is involved. My "Let's Talk Cars" logo is there for a reason.....I've spent much of my life in honest, open discussion about cars, even though not everyone always agrees with my opinions, and I've been criticized more than once. Third, no car is perfect, and I'd be lying if I said the Verano was. In cold weather, like with any cars, it tends to be stiff over bumps, especially by Buick standards...smoothing out somewhat as temps warm up in the summer. In stop-and-go traffic, I would have preferred a small N/A V6 over the somewhat less-smooth EcoTec 4....but the Ecotec is smooth and quiet when cruising. But it has been extremely reliable, well-built from its Opel heritage (I can remember, not long ago, when many Buicks were little more than junk), and in a number of ways, a pleasure to own. Fourth, you have a valid argument, in some cases, about keeping a car ten years, but, at the same time, depreciation lessens its value each year, and the less you will get at trade-in or if you sell it privately......all the while new cars keep getting more expensive (money may not be a big issue with me, but I still prefer not to waste it). Fifth, I'm a strong believer in DRIVING, not a bunch of safety-nanny electronic programs doing my driving for me. The longer one waits to replace today's cars with new ones, the more chance there will be of non-defeatable computers doing everything for you. (as far as I'm concerned, they do enough now).

So.....I'm not in the market quite yet.......simply getting some opinions in advance, not running out to buy something tomorrow morning. This forum, in some ways, with 62,000 posts, is like a family to me, and I value the opinions of others, especially those of car-savvy people. You yourself have been helpful on some occasions, though we have also had some disagreements.

With that all said, I would get something that is minimum a new chassis design that is not too old. And i would get as much new and interesting technology as possible.
I respect your opinion on that, but most high-tech stuff is not my cup of tea, though not all technology is bad. It was certainly nice, for example, to replace balky carburetors with EFI, unreliable breaker-point ignitions with solid-state/computerized engine ignition, and the old color-shedding paint jobs with durable clearcoat paint.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

People looking for car advice are not looking for unsolicited financial advice. We are all adults, obviously car fans. Best to keep the unrequested patronizing financial diatribes to oneself.

If mmarashall had asked what was the prudent financial move that would be one thing but he didn't, he asked his car buddies what cars he should look at.
Old 03-20-17, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

People looking for car advice are not looking for unsolicited financial advice. We are all adults, obviously car fans. Best to keep the unrequested patronizing financial diatribes to oneself.

If mmarashall had asked what was the prudent financial move that would be one thing but he didn't, he asked his car buddies what cars he should look at.
That's OK, Steve. Jill (and a few others on the forum) have brought up those financial issues about ownership-length before, so I'm aware of them. I know people are going to express their opinions, so I don't have any problem if they want to repeat it...after all, I asked for opinions. But, yes, for me, you are correct that the main question is not financing, but which one of those three cars (or something else) is a good car to step up to, knowing that I tend to be somewhat less-sport-oriented than others here.

BTW, you have made a decent case for the G80...as did my own review of the (same car) Hyundai Genesis a few years ago. The people at GM, though (especially my regular service-advisor) have treated me so well as a Buick owner (doing a lot of things for me free or at reduced rates) that it is difficult to walk out on them (he's on some of my mailing-lists, BTW, for my car-reviews). That's why the LaCrosse, despite its ****-ed up shifter, is currently tops on the list....with the Impala (and its conventional shifter) as also an option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-17 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 06:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's OK, Steve. Jill (and a few others on the forum) have brought up those financial issues about ownership-length before, so I'm aware of them. I know people are going to express their opinions, so I don't have any problem if they want to repeat it...after all, I asked for opinions. But, yes, for me, you are correct that the main question is not financing, but which one of those three cars (or something else) is a good car to step up to, knowing that I tend to be somewhat less-sport-oriented than others here.
Its not just an issue here, I see it elsewhere. People ask for advice on whether a lease deal is good, etc and it turns into people running down leasing and people arguing pro-leasing...its just not necessary when what we should be doing is answering people's questions and giving them good info, and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they can make a financial decision for themselves. Its not a personal finances forum. If somebody asks thats one thing, if you had said "should I trade my car or hang onto it?" that would have been one thing...but you didn't.

BTW, you have made a decent case for the G80...as did my own review of the (same car) Hyundai Genesis a few years ago. The people at GM, though (especially my regular service-advisor) have treated me so well as a Buick owner (doing a lot of things for me free or at reduced rates) that it is difficult to walk out on them (he's on some of my mailing-lists, BTW, for my car-reviews). That's why the LaCrosse, despite its ****-ed up shifter, is currently tops on the list....with the Impala (and its conventional shifter) as also an option.
Yeah that makes it tough. I've had times in my life where I've had great service people for a certain brand and it does make you want to stay with that brand. I had a great Ford guy when I had my Explorer, and when he went to a Chevy dealer we actually kept taking the Explorer to him to service (it was out of warranty). I also had a great guy at Lexus for many years, unfortunately he went to a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer down your way and I lost track of him. I'm sure he makes a lot more money writing service for Jaguars and Land Rovers lol

So far as Lexus, every experience I've ever had at Pohanka in Chantilly has been negative. I have however been happy with Lindsay in Alexandria for sales and service, although they are expensive. Their service prices are as much as 40-60% more than Lexus of Rockville in my experience (was quoted $499 for the 30k on the LS at Rockville and $799!! at Lindsay). With Genesis you wouldn't have to take it in to be serviced at all, they would come get it with the service concierge.
Old 03-20-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With Genesis you wouldn't have to take it in to be serviced at all, they would come get it with the service concierge.
With the G80? I thought that was only a perk with the G90....one reason why the G90 costs more, and not every Hyundai/Genesis shop handles it. Besides, being retired and with (usually) some time on my hands, I don't mind driving to the shop (I often do a test-drive or static-review while I'm there LOL)
Old 03-20-17, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, you get that on any Genesis, so the G80 and the G90. Sucks if you bought a Genesis before it became a brand huh?

The G90 costs more because its just a bigger, more advanced better appointed car. The ownership perks are the same. Thats one reason why its still strange that not every dealer sells the G90 where they do sell the G80. I assume only "full Genesis" dealers that sell the G90 provide the concierge service...so if I bought a G80 and wanted the concierge service they would come get it from that dealer in Chantilly even though there are closer Hyundai dealers that sell the G80.

Hyundai really does need to get the Genesis dealer situation sorted out.
Old 03-20-17, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No caveat about G90 vs G80:

I feel quite confident I will wind up in a G90 when my LS is done. For me and the sort of car I like, the value proposition is just too huge. I'll save $4-500 a month in lease payments over a comparable LS, 7, S Class, and have free maintenance, free satellite radio, free nav updates, the service concierge. Its almost too big a value gap to cross just for "brand"...
Old 03-20-17, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, you get that on any Genesis, so the G80 and the G90. Sucks if you bought a Genesis before it became a brand huh?

The G90 costs more because its just a bigger, more advanced better appointed car. The ownership perks are the same. Thats one reason why its still strange that not every dealer sells the G90 where they do sell the G80. I assume only "full Genesis" dealers that sell the G90 provide the concierge service...so if I bought a G80 and wanted the concierge service they would come get it from that dealer in Chantilly even though there are closer Hyundai dealers that sell the G80.

Hyundai really does need to get the Genesis dealer situation sorted out.
Chantilly, though, is not typical of Hyundai shops. it is HUGE. In physical size, its probably as big as Fairfax, Alexandria, and Manassas combined (I've been to all four). All of those Chantilly dealerships are huge.....it's one of the best complexes for auto-shopping on the East Coast.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-17 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I feel quite confident I will wind up in a G90 when my LS is done.
Nice. Is your ls lwb? If not, do you need the cavernous back seat of the g90? Well 'need' is probably the wrong term... want? Lol
Old 03-20-17, 09:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice. Is your ls lwb? If not, do you need the cavernous back seat of the g90? Well 'need' is probably the wrong term... want? Lol
No it's a SWB, no need for the LWB, don't even want it really but all of the flagships are nowadays.
Old 03-20-17, 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I'm with you on the g90 (and g80 too) insanely great value and love the idea of the concierge service and no more dealer visits.

Quick Reply: OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.