Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 09:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just curious, with your bum knee is it easier to get in and out of an SUV, something like say a Lexus RX350?? That might be a determining factor right there on what sort of car you buy, cause if its bad now, it could be worse 2-4 years from now.

As for what you should buy, I remember you drove the new body style Audi A4 and really liked it. Comes with AWD, stay light on the options and its about the same as a loaded LaCrosse or ES350. Also no love for the upcoming Regal? That would be pretty close to what you have now, the hatch looks like a sedan but is a bit more useful.
Old 03-19-17, 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if your pastor had it for several years, i guess you mean the original hyundai genesis, which of course has absolutely nothing in common with the g80?
No. I meant the 2Gen, which has EVERYTHING to do with a G80.
Old 03-19-17, 09:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I feel like the PRND buttons on the MKZ would drive you crazy, MMarshall
Old 03-19-17, 10:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I feel like the PRND buttons on the MKZ would drive you crazy, MMarshall

Not in the least. Almost half a century ago, I learned to drive on the 1960s-vintage Chrysler push-buttons. (from there, of course, I went on to learn with a clutch and three-on-the-tree manual transmission, and, from there, a four-on-the-floor MT).

Old 03-20-17, 04:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I meant the 2Gen, which has EVERYTHING to do with a G80.
ok, nice. that only came out 2 years ago.
Old 03-20-17, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, nice. that only came out 2 years ago.
Yeah..as I said, he loved it while he had it, but then decided that he needed more utility. He makes a fairly good salary, though, as an Army officer (Chaplain) and could afford it.

That is a possible fourth option on my list, and a fifth is the Chevy Impala. It does many of the nice things the new LaCrosse does (it's on the same platform), has a nicer-looking steering wheel, and has a nice conventional fore/aft shift lever....though the rocker-switch on top of the lever for manual up/down-shifting is not the best design.
Old 03-20-17, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just curious, with your bum knee is it easier to get in and out of an SUV, something like say a Lexus RX350?? That might be a determining factor right there on what sort of car you buy, cause if its bad now, it could be worse 2-4 years from now.

As for what you should buy, I remember you drove the new body style Audi A4 and really liked it. Comes with AWD, stay light on the options and its about the same as a loaded LaCrosse or ES350. Also no love for the upcoming Regal? That would be pretty close to what you have now, the hatch looks like a sedan but is a bit more useful.
I mentioned the upcoming Regal as a possibility. Sadly, it will probably be the last Opel-designed Buick. And, though Buick has not formally announced it, it looks like it may not come in a sedan version in the American market....only hatchback/wagon.

I did not mention the A4, not because I don't like it (as you say, it's an excellent car), but primarily because I'm not sure I want to give them my money right now. I'm not impressed with how VW/Audi works as a corporate structure, they have been ripping people and the environment off with the TDI diesels (although you can probably thank ex-CEO Ferdinand Piech more for that, not the current Audi CEO), and service/repairs can be very expensive when the warranty runs out. Like Mercedes and BMW, they only offer a 4/50 warranty (even on the drivetrain) on non-hybrid parts.....Buick, Cadillac, Infiniti, Acura, Lincoln, and Lexus all offer 6/70 and 4/50. And, while there are exceptions, Audi dealerships tend to be run in a stuffy, aristocratic style that is just not my bag. In addition to that, if Trump gets the 35% tariff he wants on imported vehicles sold here (I don't think there are any A4s built in America), its U.S. price could soon rise significantly.

My knees BTW, are coming along fine...or a least reasonably good. The one that was operated on last summer for torn tendons healed up fine and recuperated (though it is a little stiff at times)...and the other one, which the surgeon told me would need a replacement, seems to be coming along well enough (and painless enough) that I think I can forgo the replacement, at least for now. I can function more or less normally on it for day-to-day functions, as long as I don't spend too much time on it or walk for too long a period. And swimming, which I do almost every day, is no problem.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-17 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

You said you didn't want a car that big though. FYI, the Impala is longer than an LS460 at ~ 202" long.
Old 03-20-17, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Might you consider adding the new Kia Cadenza to your list? I quite like the looks of those and they seem to me to meet your basic criteria.
Old 03-20-17, 09:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

If you don't want something as big or expensive as an S-Class, have you considered the E-Class? It's arguably the nicest vehicle in the mid-sized "executive" class, and Mercedes really knocked it out of the park with the recent redesign. Still on the pricey side, but WAY cheaper than an S-Class. That or the G80 would be my choice, with the ES in third place.
Old 03-20-17, 09:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Might you consider adding the new Kia Cadenza to your list? I quite like the looks of those and they seem to me to meet your basic criteria.
I saw the new Cadenza at the Chicago Auto Show and was able to take a close look at it. A Very nice car both inside and out. It's also received good reviews. C&D gave it a good review and ranks the segment, Maxima, Cadenza, Avalon, Impala and Lacrosse.
Old 03-20-17, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

The dealer ship service is also another big factor when choosing a car.

How are the dealer's service for those other cars that you mentioned?

I echo other member's additional choice and would add the Genesis against the ES (my first choice).

However, you would get lost in the parking lot that you work out at (in your other thread) if you get an ES
Old 03-20-17, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
However, you would get lost in the parking lot that you work out at (in your other thread) if you get an ES
All you have to do is press the fob and the horn blips and headlights flash to identify one's car. The service-techs do it every time they come out of the shop to pick up another car....as do the salespeople when they are trying to identify a stock number.

In fact, recently a friend of mine there had some double-vision problems (which have since cleared up) and couldn't drive safely.....I drove his leased ES a number of times for him).
Old 03-20-17, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I think he was making a funny lol
Old 03-20-17, 11:58 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I would choose the G80, great handling / comfort suspension & I like the looks. Navigation is a bit awkward to enter destination but I assume you would get used to it. Lexus ES would be my next pick like the new look better than the older models.

Quick Reply: OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.