Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 08:08 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok ok guys. I'm done fighting. To each there own I love Lexus. I'm my eyes it's the best brand and I love my car. Not gonna let anyone tell me otherwise. Let's just move on
Old 04-04-17, 08:13 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

And just to prove my point that people always defend there. Brand. Now I'm officially done arguing.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=lexus
Old 04-04-17, 09:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
And just to prove my point that people always defend there. Brand. Now I'm officially done arguing.

This link is to a model specific forum (5 Series) vs. a general discussion format like Car Chat. You'll usually find more brand /model enthusiasts there vs. drivers who are interested in cars in general. As a BMW owner, I visit Bimmerfest and find the CL and Car Chat members generally more open minded and mature.
Old 04-04-17, 11:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The same would happen here if someone posted they traded their GS for a Genesis G80.
G80 while cheaper is not a better car than a 5 or a GS.
It is a whole lot better than ES in any objective way except for brand name.
Old 04-04-17, 12:03 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The same would happen here if someone posted they traded their GS for a Genesis G80.
G80 while cheaper is not a better car than a 5 or a GS.
It is a whole lot better than ES in any objective way except for brand name.
Nope it is definitely not.
Old 04-04-17, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The G80 is really different than the GS or the 5 in that it's really not a sporty car, dynamically it reminds me more of my LS than my GS Or a 5 Series. I could see why to some buyers the G80 would be a better car than a GS, or to a lesser extent a 5 (the 5 can be a little bit better luxury Cruiser than the GS). For me for instance the G80 would probably be a better choice than even a GS.

The ES though, if you like the ES there's no reason you wouldn't love the G80.
Old 04-04-17, 01:07 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The G80 is really different than the GS or the 5 in that it's really not a sporty car, dynamically it reminds me more of my LS than my GS Or a 5 Series. I could see why to some buyers the G80 would be a better car than a GS, or to a lesser extent a 5 (the 5 can be a little bit better luxury Cruiser than the GS). For me for instance the G80 would probably be a better choice than even a GS.

The ES though, if you like the ES there's no reason you wouldn't love the G80.
Well as a es and a Lexus fanatic owner I despise the genesis brand as a whole. Sorry if that offends anyone.
Old 04-04-17, 01:48 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Well as a es and a Lexus fanatic owner I despise the genesis brand as a whole. Sorry if that offends anyone.
Why?

They might be like Lexus 10 years from now. More choices are better for us (the consumers)
Old 04-04-17, 02:36 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Why?

They might be like Lexus 10 years from now. More choices are better for us (the consumers)
Mate choices for you and other "Lexus enthusiasts"*. Not for me. I'm Lexus for life.
Old 04-04-17, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I'll respect that....in fact, when I opened this thread, I asked for opinions.....just like I have given my own opinion, many times, when others have posted or asked for it.

But, I have to ask.....before you start tossing stones at Genesis, have you actually gone to an auto show or dealership to inspect and/or test-drive a G80/G90 (the G80 is the same car as the former, 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, with perhaps some slightly nicer trim inside)? You can watch dozens of reviews on videos, or read dozens of magazine-reviews (even read Consumer Reports)...but nothing beats a hands-on inspection of the vehicle yourself. You can see the G80 at most, if not all, Hyundai dealerships...but only certain ones carry the G90. I, myself, considered only the G80...the G90 is pretty big for my parking space, and costs more than I'd care to spend....though I could afford one if I wanted one.
Old 04-04-17, 03:52 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I'll respect that....in fact, when I opened this thread, I asked for opinions.....just like I have given my own opinion, many times, when others have posted or asked for it.

But, I have to ask.....before you start tossing stones at Genesis, have you actually gone to an auto show or dealership to inspect and/or test-drive a G80/G90 (the G80 is the same car as the former, 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, with perhaps some slightly nicer trim inside)? You can watch dozens of reviews on videos, or read dozens of magazine-reviews (even read Consumer Reports)...but nothing beats a hands-on inspection of the vehicle yourself. You can see the G80 at most, if not all, Hyundai dealerships...but only certain ones carry the G90. I, myself, considered only the G80...the G90 is pretty big for my parking space, and costs more than I'd care to spend....though I could afford one if I wanted one.
I'm not gonna bs I've sat in both. Actually my cousin and I have sat in them at the last ny auto show. And we both admitted for Hyundais they are nice cars but certainly not up to Lexus and the Germans.
Old 04-04-17, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the original choice, I spent some time this evening getting insurance quotes from my company, and, of the four primary choices (Lacrosse, MKZ, G80, and ES350), the LaCrosse, interestingly, was far and way the cheapest....for me, at $400 for a 6-month policy. The MKZ and G80 were both just above $600, and the ES at $490. That's keeping the same policy-limits as my Verano. The Lacrosse, brand-new, seems a bargain to insure ....it's only a couple of dollars more each term than than my present 5-year-old Verano. I suspect that is because of the Lacrosse's basic group of older, conservative, non-aggressive drivers. But it doesn't explain why the MKZ and G80, which is driven by a (roughly) equal group of non-aggessive drivers, is so much more.....perhaps the cost of Lincoln and Genesis parts and repair? Safety-ratings/crash-tests, actual accident and medical costs, location of the insured vehicle, and how likely it is to get stolen are probably other factors.

Where I WILL be paying substantially more, though, no matter which of the four I choose, is the yearly Personal-Property Tax charged by counties in the State of Virginia. The PP tax is similar to real-estate taxes one pays on their home and lot.....it's assessed on the yearly Blue-Book value of the car (or cars, if more than one) as of January 1 of the year, pro-rated to the date of sale. We have that tax in Virginia because the State Constitution forbids local county income-taxes, and the car tax makes up for the money that localities can't take directly out of your salary. The flip-side, of course, is that the car-tax, like real-estate taxes, is deductible on the Federal return...so you get at least part of it back in tax-refunds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 05:02 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Move back to Texas, Mike! Property tax on real estate, otherwise no state income tax and no personal property tax. There is however a 6% state sales tax on many items, plus a 2% county/city tax, plus here in Houston, a 0.5% tax levied by Metro (our local mass transit company). Your registration fee - tax - is low and the state is about to abolish the annual state inspection of vehicles. For economics' sake, move to one of the bedroom communities of one of our larger cities and pay only the state sales tax.
Old 04-04-17, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Move back to Texas, Mike! Property tax on real estate, otherwise no state income tax and no personal property tax. There is however a 6% state sales tax on many items, plus a 2% county/city tax, plus here in Houston, a 0.5% tax levied by Metro (our local mass transit company). Your registration fee - tax - is low and the state is about to abolish the annual state inspection of vehicles. For economics' sake, move to one of the bedroom communities of one of our larger cities and pay only the state sales tax.
I've thought about it, Bob. I like the Texas Hill Country, just west of Austin, with its picturesque scenery and winding roads, recreational lakes, less-dense traffic than the gridlocked D.C. area, and low cost of living....though the best part of the Hill Country is arguably the section North of Garner State Park and east of U.S. 83, between Leakey and Vanderpool. I never got to see the Big Bend region personally (didn't get that far west in the state), but the sharp, jagged Chisos Mountains look very interesting in images and videos.

But several things keep me in this area....my church, friends, colleagues, what is left of my family (partly here and partly in Ohio), the fact that my town-house is paid for, my lessened-mobility on weaker knees from past years, at least part of the double-tax-free status of my municipal bund/bond-fund income being based on a Virginia residence, the spectacular beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains just an hour away (I don't know if you have ever been to Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park, but I consider it the most beautiful drive in the Eastern U.S.). Everything one needs here is just a couple of miles away, though admittedly in dense traffic. And, of course, the superb network of dealerships here where I can test-drive (or review) almost anything on four wheels, any time....that's a great asset for a car enthusiast. There may (?) also be a final resting place waiting for both me and my brother here at Arlington National Cemetery (space-available) since both of our parents are interned there, and we never married (that's the Cemetery rules).

Also, in Texas, aren't there problems with the aggressive African-bred bees and ants that made their way north from South America? They haven't (yet) reached the D.C. area because of the colder winters here. And I hear a lot of stories (true or otherwise) about alligators, gars, cottonmouth snakes, scorpions and large insects being pests (and sometimes dangerous) in and around the waters of southeast Texas. I remember seeing scorpions and large centipedes a foot long in Austin....though I think the closest the 'gators get up the Colorado River to Austin is around Bastrop, just to the east. Armadillos, like deer, would also come out at night and crawl right out on the road in front of you, seemingly oblivious to traffic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-17 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 05:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
same situation in florida. i figure i'd need 30-50% more income to live in the north east. no thanks. and no snow shoveling.

Quick Reply: OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.