Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who is "Sewell" in the Lexus world?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 03:06 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah Lexus corporate put an end to Sewell's online parts business. Bunch of BS, as I think other dealers were whining about Sewell undercutting them on price. I know on certain Lexus parts, you can order them from a Toyota dealer, because they're the same on the equivalent Toyota(example, control arms on the 1990's Lexus SC are the exact same part as for a Toyota Supra and a couple hundred dollars cheaper through the Toyota dealer)
Ahhh ok. Yea, whenever I read about a Lexus, Sewell always comes up. I see now. So what about all this "We're not Lexus, we're privately owned." whenever some bull**** comes up and someone complains? So it's a double standard in favor of Lexus? They get to skate under the guise of "That's not our dealership; they're privately owned." and "Hey, we don't like what you're doing, shut it down." at the same time? How's that work? Doesn't seem fair.
Old 03-17-17, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I don't think Lexus shut them down, I think Sewell decided to stop doing parts business on the internet as an internal business decision. Plenty of other dealers are doing it and Lexus doesn't seem to want to shut them down.

mylparts is the one I've been using and have been satisfied.
Old 03-17-17, 11:46 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Did you use the word fair?

that is a word that refers to myths

lexus needs the dealerships to move product

unfortunatly not every dealership behaves as we or Lexus would like

that is why I try to find dealerships I am comfortable with and avoid others

what is kind of funny is that some dealers I would not like to buy from are great on the service side
Old 03-17-17, 04:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Similar story with Elmhurst Toyota. They were synonymous with Supra parts in the US. Before Curt Aigner retired, that was pretty much the go-to place for all Supra parts.

Had the pleasure of doing business with them on many occasions and being local is nice as well. They were a sponsor on Supraforums and not only had the largest stock of OEM Supra parts (largest by a landslide), they also had the best prices.

Since Curt left, I am sad to say the employees there now are nowhere near as passionate or knowledgeable as he was. Curt IS what made Elmhurst such a success. Now it's just another Toyota dealership.

I wonder if a similar thing happened at Sewell?
Old 03-17-17, 04:23 PM
smualum11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sewell still has great service. I bought my RX F-Sport from them in late October. It was the best car buying experience I've ever had. We bought my husband's WRX from their Subaru dealership, and likewise - a wonderful and easy experience. Got amazing deals on both cars.
Old 03-17-17, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smualum11
Sewell still has great service. I bought my RX F-Sport from them in late October. It was the best car buying experience I've ever had. We bought my husband's WRX from their Subaru dealership, and likewise - a wonderful and easy experience. Got amazing deals on both cars.
Yes, they are great. I second that. I'm patiently waiting for them to open their Audi dealership outside Dallas. If we were earning rewards points for every Lexus and Infiniti we've purchased/leased from them my next car would be free!
Old 03-17-17, 09:14 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't think Lexus shut them down, I think Sewell decided to stop doing parts business on the internet as an internal business decision. Plenty of other dealers are doing it and Lexus doesn't seem to want to shut them down.

mylparts is the one I've been using and have been satisfied.
I think Lexus actually had something to do with the shutdown. Sewellparts was undercutting the competition. There's not one online retailer of Lexus parts that even comes close in terms of prices. That said, i miss them, especially now since I've got like a million things to fix in my car :/
Old 03-18-17, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I think Lexus actually had something to do with the shutdown. Sewellparts was undercutting the competition. There's not one online retailer of Lexus parts that even comes close in terms of prices. That said, i miss them, especially now since I've got like a million things to fix in my car :/
I've ordered a few things online from mylparts.com and their prices seem just as discounted from my local dealer as Sewell's were.
Old 03-18-17, 08:18 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've ordered a few things online from mylparts.com and their prices seem just as discounted from my local dealer as Sewell's were.

Good to know. I too miss Sewel. Easy to deal with and fair. I'll have to give MLP a shot
Old 03-18-17, 03:54 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, they are great. I second that. I'm patiently waiting for them to open their Audi dealership outside Dallas. If we were earning rewards points for every Lexus and Infiniti we've purchased/leased from them my next car would be free!
I concur. I have driven a few times to Dallas from Houston to take delivery of Lexus vehicles. Last few years I have been patronizing their Audi dealership located on the north side of Houston and can't say enough about my positive experiences. It has to be the Sewell corporate culture that is so pervasive thru the ranks. I wish they would either buy or open a Lexus dealership in our area; it would convince me to consider Lexus products again.
Old 03-18-17, 05:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I love living close enough that I can call and have them order something and drive down when it comes in

Another great place is Park Place Lexus in Plano TX. My buddy Parker works there in the sales dept. Their name is also synonymous around here with Lexus.
Old 03-18-17, 06:33 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Similar story with Elmhurst Toyota. They were synonymous with Supra parts in the US. Before Curt Aigner retired, that was pretty much the go-to place for all Supra parts.

Had the pleasure of doing business with them on many occasions and being local is nice as well. They were a sponsor on Supraforums and not only had the largest stock of OEM Supra parts (largest by a landslide), they also had the best prices.

Since Curt left, I am sad to say the employees there now are nowhere near as passionate or knowledgeable as he was. Curt IS what made Elmhurst such a success. Now it's just another Toyota dealership.

I wonder if a similar thing happened at Sewell?
I didn't know Curt had retired. He was legendary in the Supra community. Do they still offer the same great prices and are there any other dealerships that come close to Elmhurst?

I'm hoping to get a MKIV Supra and restore my SC300. I'm sure I will need some good deals on parts in the next year.
Old 03-19-17, 07:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I didn't know Curt had retired. He was legendary in the Supra community. Do they still offer the same great prices and are there any other dealerships that come close to Elmhurst?

I'm hoping to get a MKIV Supra and restore my SC300. I'm sure I will need some good deals on parts in the next year.
He retired a LONG time ago. I don't remember when exactly but it's been a while man. Last I checked they are still a sponsor on SF and still offer the discount if you ask for it.

I am in no way saying the service of the dealership has gone down, I honestly have not done enough business with them since Curt left to give a fair assessment, I am sure they are still a good source for Toyota parts. They just don't have a "supra" knowledgeable guy in there like they had with Curt.

The main thing when Curt was there is he was in there at like 4am every day answering every single email and forum PM with robotic-like precision leaving no question un-answered. He would go above and beyond getting rare oem parts to his customer and would know their whereabouts at all times. He could tell you if they are 3 days away in a near by city or 4 months away on some boat. He was that specific and precise with his work. Probably will never find another service like that anywhere. Back in the day they would host an annual Toyota/Lexus/Scion meet also and that's a thing of the past as well now.