Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Old 02-17-17, 08:50 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Lets face it folks, the spindle grill is as ugly as the old acura beak grille and doesn't really appeal to the mass market. Lexus powertrains are ancient and are under powered compared to main competitors (Benz and BMW). Next flagship LS offers no V8 similar to Acuras flagship sedan rla/rlx. Lexus heavily relys on SUV sales and their F brand following is nowhere near M or AMG. If Lexus continues their stubborn path of not keeping up with competition and not listening to customer needs will they become the next Acura? Discuss......
Old 02-17-17, 08:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

No I dont want to discuss.
Old 02-17-17, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Lets face it folks, the spindle grill is as ugly as the old acura beak grille and doesn't really appeal to the mass market. Lexus powertrains are ancient and are under powered compared to main competitors (Benz and BMW). Next flagship LS offers no V8 similar to Acuras flagship sedan rla/rlx. Lexus heavily relys on SUV sales and their F brand following is nowhere near M or AMG. If Lexus continues their stubborn path of not keeping up with competition and not listening to customer needs will they become the next Acura? Discuss......
I don't think you want to discuss. More like troll and cause problems.
Old 02-17-17, 08:58 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think you want to discuss. More like troll and cause problems.
How is this trolling? I'm just putting facts together and linking similarities to Acuras past. And we know how well Acura is doing today.

I own multiple Lexus and I'm concerned with the path they are taking.
Old 02-17-17, 09:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

LOL, not even close.
Old 02-17-17, 09:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
How is this trolling? I'm just putting facts together and linking similarities to Acuras past. And we know how well Acura is doing today.

I own multiple Lexus and I'm concerned with the path they are taking.
Just seems lately that there are so many threads just wanting to bash Lexus and the direction that they are talking. That is why I called it trolling. Maybe it is not, but I will not participate in this thread.

I hope others do the same.
Old 02-17-17, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Agreed...beat to death. People hating on the spindle grill need to move past it. Just because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean its ugly, and doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to the mass market. It just doesn't appeal to you. While some of the spindle grills are a little ungainly IMHO, other people love them and I think the next round of all new vehicles to feature them (namely the LC and LS) look great.

As far as powertrains? What TTV6 offers the power that the all new TTV6 in the LS features? That engine will be the basis of a whole new array of great engines for Lexus.

This is an exciting time to be a Lexus fan.
Old 02-17-17, 09:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

From my prospective, people like me who are considered to "bash" Lexus are more likely owners of cars back in the 90s or 2000s when Lexus were really flowing on all cylinders and were ahead in many ways over the Germans.

I think now in 2017 the landscape has really changed so for new people to the brand its hard to know how truly revolutionary Lexus once was as a Luxury player.

Is it still a great brand with great cars? Yes of course.
But are they living up to their full potential? Personally I think they can be so much better.
Old 02-17-17, 09:31 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just seems lately that there are so many threads just wanting to bash Lexus and the direction that they are talking. That is why I called it trolling. Maybe it is not, but I will not participate in this thread.

I hope others do the same.
I created this thread because you can't deny the similarities. Acura used to build very appealing and competitive cars. Their philosophy and recipe changed overtime and it has not benefited them. As a long time Lexus owner I can't ignore the similarities. BMW, Mercedes and other competitors have V8's in their flagship models for a reason even though they don't sell well.

I always felt Clublexus is a mature forum who can discuss things objectively. In no way am I trying to troll. I'm just putting together the facts and want to get the thoughts of other. If MODS want to close down this thread I'm ok with it. The direction of Lexus has been weighing on my mind and I just want to get the thoughts of other Lexus enthusiast.
Old 02-17-17, 09:36 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Agreed...beat to death. People hating on the spindle grill need to move past it. Just because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean its ugly, and doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to the mass market. It just doesn't appeal to you. While some of the spindle grills are a little ungainly IMHO, other people love them and I think the next round of all new vehicles to feature them (namely the LC and LS) look great.

As far as powertrains? What TTV6 offers the power that the all new TTV6 in the LS features? That engine will be the basis of a whole new array of great engines for Lexus.

This is an exciting time to be a Lexus fan.

I agree this should be exciting times for Lexus. But it took lexus 10+ years for Lexus to change their powertrain while competitors have been upgrading a lot more frequently. And to not have a V8 powered flagship car is a huge mistake in my opinion. They should offer both TTV6 and TTV8 in the LS to give consumers choices.
Old 02-17-17, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Remember that I too am a long time Lexus owner that remembers "the good old days".

The only place that I see where they've really fallen behind is in powerplants, but with this new TTV6 that brings hope that will change.

IMHO they're making cars as well made and a lot more interesting than they ever did before.
Old 02-17-17, 09:42 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Is it that the spindle (to some people) is so progressive that people really hate the way it looks, or is it more about accepting something that looks entirely different from the front end of any other vehicle?
I personally was not a fan of the spindle upon its initial introduction. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it.
With the way Lexus is infusing the grille into their vehicles (as before in some cases it looked as if it were an afterthought), especially with the LC and LS, the grille just flows into the vehicle, essentially setting the stage for the rest of the exterior, and with the progressive path Lexus is taking with fluidity in exterior design, I think they'll set themselves apart in a fantastic way.
Engine will be personal experience/preference, but I really do think this TTV6 is just the beginning of what Lexus plans to do with their engines.
I guess this is to be expected with anything new, but give it a chance, see it person, one day soon drive one then go from there.
Im feeling like Lexus isn't "trying" to be nor compete head-to-head with Mercedes, BMW and Audi. They seem to be going along a path of their own.
Old 02-17-17, 09:43 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
From my prospective, people like me who are considered to "bash" Lexus are more likely owners of cars back in the 90s or 2000s when Lexus were really flowing on all cylinders and were ahead in many ways over the Germans.

I think now in 2017 the landscape has really changed so for new people to the brand its hard to know how truly revolutionary Lexus once was as a Luxury player.

Is it still a great brand with great cars? Yes of course.
But are they living up to their full potential? Personally I think they can be so much better.
I truly agree with your comments. I remember the heyday of Lexus when they were besting the german brands with reliable cars. This is a recipe for success! Why doesn't Lexus see this? This recipe and formula has gotten them to where they are today. Now they want to revert to a recipe to what Acura did? Doesn't make sense to me.

Lexus will always build reliable great cars, but currently nothing like the 90's and early 2000's.
Old 02-17-17, 09:51 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Is it that the spindle (to some people) is so progressive that people really hate the way it looks, or is it more about accepting something that looks entirely different from the front end of any other vehicle?
I personally was not a fan of the spindle upon its initial introduction. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it.
With the way Lexus is infusing the grille into their vehicles (as before in some cases it looked as if it were an afterthought), especially with the LC and LS, the grille just flows into the vehicle, essentially setting the stage for the rest of the exterior, and with the progressive path Lexus is taking with fluidity in exterior design, I think they'll set themselves apart in a fantastic way.
Engine will be personal experience/preference, but I really do think this TTV6 is just the beginning of what Lexus plans to do with their engines.
I guess this is to be expected with anything new, but give it a chance, see it person, one day soon drive one then go from there.
Im feeling like Lexus isn't "trying" to be nor compete head-to-head with Mercedes, BMW and Audi. They seem to be going along a path of their own.

My thought process is, if something has to grow on you or you have to get used to something than its not good looking to begin with. I honestly like the new front end of the 2018 Camry. You can see the spindle, but still traditional looking.

If lexus doesn't see MB, BMW and Audi as competitors and want to go their own path they are making a huge mistake. Lexus isn't offering anything special to set themselves apart.

Last edited by GTSLEX; 02-17-17 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:54 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

how did i know you were going to own a second gen GS or IS before opening this thread

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?