Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus sell 400 LCs a month?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 06:25 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Will Lexus sell 400 LCs a month?

Because that's the target... The post on the HP seems up in the air about whether it can be accomplished, but TTAC thinks 400 is a really lofty goal. Personally, I think the company can do most anything it sets its mind to, goal-wise. But that said, that figure means they'll move more units than virtually any car in the class, and the 100k mark is rarefied air. What do you think? Will Lexus hit the mark?
Old 03-15-17, 06:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No, I don't. Coupes in general are not selling particularly well, and when you add on that price point it becomes more of a niche vehicle. I would love to be proven wrong because it appears to be a fantastic vehicle.
Old 03-15-17, 06:48 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by dseag2
No, I don't. Coupes in general are not selling particularly well, and when you add on that price point it becomes more of a niche vehicle. I would love to be proven wrong because it appears to be a fantastic vehicle.
It sure would be wild if Lexus could just come in and hit that number, but like you said, getting there is going to be tricky...
Old 03-16-17, 08:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe in the first yr. They will have to continue to give new reasons for new buyers every year. Like adding more power and options.
Old 03-16-17, 09:32 AM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by situman
Maybe in the first yr. They will have to continue to give new reasons for new buyers every year. Like adding more power and options.
I think the twin-turbo version will make a compelling case for some buyers. I do wonder how it's going to do in comparo tests, because that might swap some folks who might generally look to Europe.
Old 03-16-17, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lexus will absolutely sell every single one of the LC cars that they bring to North America. The LC is going to be a very very popular car among people who own cars that are $100K ++ I have now seen two models, a white model at a local Lexus dealer and the blue hybrid prototype model that is from international territories, the car is a stunning work of art that at first makes you wonder if it is on the same level as an Aston Martin. The interior design and materials is also sensational. With that said, the new LC will help propel Lexus to move even more upscale for their top tier models. It simply is amazing that Lexus built something like this as it looks like nothing else on the road and pretty much turned every head at the Auto Show last month.
Old 03-16-17, 12:32 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus will absolutely sell every single one of the LC cars that they bring to North America. The LC is going to be a very very popular car among people who own cars that are $100K ++ I have now seen two models, a white model at a local Lexus dealer and the blue hybrid prototype model that is from international territories, the car is a stunning work of art that at first makes you wonder if it is on the same level as an Aston Martin. The interior design and materials is also sensational. With that said, the new LC will help propel Lexus to move even more upscale for their top tier models. It simply is amazing that Lexus built something like this as it looks like nothing else on the road and pretty much turned every head at the Auto Show last month.
You may be right for some, but most will thumb their noses at the badge, especially at that price level.
Old 03-16-17, 01:08 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by situman
You may be right for some, but most will thumb their noses at the badge, especially at that price level.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It'd be interesting to compare the build quality of the LC and the Aston Martin. If history is any indication, that would not go well for the Brits. And I can see some people thumbing their nose at the brand, but we're kind of in uncharted territory here, given the stellar looks and price of this baby. It makes me think Lexus could have sold a lot more LFAs if the sales process hadn't been so convoluted.
Old 03-16-17, 01:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

since its 400 worldwide, it should sell. How many 6 series are being sold worldwide
Old 03-16-17, 02:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

In the US - no.
Worldwide - yes.

Way too many cars at this price that have either more performance or luxury with a better badge.
New 8 series will be out not too long after the LC which will prob be its most direct competitor.

Lexus needs to quickly roll ot the LC F and LC convertible to keep it fresh and keeping the car visible in magazines/online etc.
Lexus has horrible marketing and often allows their products to grow stale.
Old 03-16-17, 05:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think it will sell 400 a month in the US aside from the first few months of gotta have it now buyers. It is priced too high. After that I think it will be a pretty low seller priced as high as it is. If it was priced in the 70's I think they may be able to do 400 a month, I think if they offer a non hybrid version with a 400hp tt V6 priced in the 70's it can get to 400 a month. World wide it might even be difficult for 400 a month with any consistency with the way it is priced.
Old 03-16-17, 05:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

With coupes like these, they're usually good sellers for the first model year, maybe 2nd or 3rd model year if they're lucky. Then everybody who wanted one now has one, sales fall off a cliff. There are a few coupes and sports cars that sell well, year in, year out, but they have a VERY large fanbase(think Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, mid engine Ferraris)