Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 02:13 PM
KennethGS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to believe the GS would be cancelled and replaced by ... what? A stripped down V6 LS? For 45-60K? VERY unlikely! The new LS was not designed as a replacement in that range.

Lexus would not leave a gigantic hole in their lineup at that price.
Old 03-17-17, 02:18 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope the LS fails...then we all can ride the fwd es...then the es can finally fail too. I'll just pick up a corolla and put a lexus badge on it...and with a lot of stickers to help devalue the brand...grrrr!
Old 03-17-17, 02:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
I hope the LS fails...then we all can ride the fwd es...then the es can finally fail too. I'll just pick up a corolla and put a lexus badge on it...and with a lot of stickers to help devalue the brand...grrrr!
People like me predicted this years ago when I was posting that Lexus should discontinue the ES in order for GS to really thrive. Then they can develop a 4door coupe a la CLS and a RWD sporty SUV. These models and sales volume they would generate would of been enough for economies of scale to develop new powertrains / Chassis for RWD.

Most ppl said i was crazy to suggest this as the ES was their bread and butter.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-17-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 03:34 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm, I wonder what this means. I had learned that the next IS entered development in 2015, under the programme code 400A is due for design approval in the second half of 2017. Scheduling for that model begins in July 2020, on TNGA-L. This I had not seen until now, which is quite shocking that I didn't come across this on my own earlier. 200B was for the LS and 950A was for the LC. The new ES is 240B, but the 5GS appears to be under 300B due for SOP in April 2019. Initially this car had been scheduled for late 2018, but I am wondering how recent this information is.

Old 03-17-17, 03:42 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I have not read the last several pages so pardon me if this has been stated .

i do believe the GS will go away. They recently stated they plan to build a wider variety of SUVs and less cars. So here is my fearless prediction. They will copy Acura by combining the IS and GS as Acura did combining the TSX and TL with the TSX. It will be 188 inches long. You heard it here first.
Old 03-17-17, 04:25 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have not read the last several pages so pardon me if this has been stated .

i do believe the GS will go away. They recently stated they plan to build a wider variety of SUVs and less cars. So here is my fearless prediction. They will copy Acura by combining the IS and GS as Acura did combining the TSX and TL with the TSX. It will be 188 inches long. You heard it here first.
I'm afraid situation is not really comparable. Acura TL grew in size quite a bit so Acura could introduce TSX, which was just a quick rebadge and not an Acura product. It was a cheap quick fix to try to cover the entry luxury market with a small sedan and a tweener TL. Obviously Acura thinks it didn't work out so they scaled TL back to where it was a generation ago, rebranded it and then came up with the crappy PR story how they got covered both TSX and TL. TLX is nothing but a proper TL.

IS is way too important for Lexus and they cannot afford to grow it in size substantially and make it a tweener like ES or CTS or even last gen TL. While this concept could work in US it would fail flat in Europe and Japan where there is a clear distinction between sizes in premium segment. And above all that they need a small sedan to play worldwide unlike Acura.

In my opinion if GS development has been halted like rumors suggests than it is only so it could be tweaked and repositioned according to Lexus future plans and positioning in the market. Just like SC really never went away neither will GS, it will resurface one way or the other.
Old 03-17-17, 04:36 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle just said he's looking to replace his 5-series soon. I was going to recommend him the eventual redesigned GS but then this news came.

Japan has no other legit car in the midsize luxury category worth a look.
Old 03-17-17, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
My uncle just said he's looking to replace his 5-series soon. I was going to recommend him the eventual redesigned GS but then this news came.

Japan has no other legit car in the midsize luxury category worth a look.
Q70 3.7, 5.6, and hybrid all available.
Old 03-17-17, 05:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Allen what do you like so much about CarPlay? I've only played with it a bit but I don't really get the obsession. I don't like Apple Maps, and I use Siri for my in-car texting. I think the phone interface is probably better, but I don't use my phone often in the car. I just use Pandora through Entune for music, and that has worked very well for me.
Don't want to take this one too far off topic, but I liked the overall smoothness of the system. It was a lot easier for me to enter my destination on the phone, start Bluetooth streaming, plug it in and be on my way. If I could opt for Waze instead of Apple maps it would've been perfect for me. I would've liked to have tried Android Auto, but I didn't have my USB A to C cable
Old 03-17-17, 05:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ Thanks for the response.
Old 03-17-17, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Q70 is so old, I wouldn't co sided it a real competitor.
Old 03-17-17, 07:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Hmm, I wonder what this means. I had learned that the next IS entered development in 2015, under the programme code 400A is due for design approval in the second half of 2017. Scheduling for that model begins in July 2020, on TNGA-L. This I had not seen until now, which is quite shocking that I didn't come across this on my own earlier. 200B was for the LS and 950A was for the LC. The new ES is 240B, but the 5GS appears to be under 300B due for SOP in April 2019. Initially this car had been scheduled for late 2018, but I am wondering how recent this information is.

Oh well, it looks like the 5GS is back on the drawing board as the program code 300B due for release in April 2019.
I didn't think Lexus would be stupid enough to axe the 5GS.
Old 03-17-17, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
E Class and 5 series for the debut of the current GS was 1 Lexus per 3 E/5 series. In the previous gen, the GS was softer and plushier and it sold less.

The real issue IMO is to offer vehicles people want to drive at costs they can fathom.

If you want to move units, leave the ES where it is. Dont need to do spruce up much since at its price point its the best value in class.

If you want to move double the units in the RWD Sedan dep, offer something unique, something car buyers from Lexus and other brands have yet to experience.
Incorporate some performance hybrid tech deck the interior out like the new LS, and then offer a real GSF (I dont mean shove a V8 that is down on power) if and only if the non F models are a success. Offer tech people are craving for but without the assistance of Apple or Google if thats a hinderance. Maybe design a coupe or GT model.

All while being relatively reliable and affordable.

Done
Agreed. If Lexus moves the price point up on the ES they will lose the current ES customer base who most likely trade for the new model when it is introduced, and they will need to go after brand new customers. Even if the ES is "all that and a bag of chips", Lexus will have difficulty luring loyal customers from BMW, Mercedes and Audi. And Toyota customers or Lexus IS customers will find it too much of an increase.

The ES has established an image as being an affordable, cushy, luxury car and no matter how upmarket they move it, that will take years to turn around. If they go that route, Lexus would be better off establishing a brand new model, although that hasn't worked so well with Acura's TLX (formerly TL and TS-X).

Last edited by dseag2; 03-17-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 02:42 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

mercedes coming out with new sedans.... CLS, GT sedan.
Old 03-18-17, 10:31 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Q70 3.7, 5.6, and hybrid all available.
Meh the Q70 is old, kinda ugly, has little brand recognition, and has signs of corner cutting all over the interior (e.g. cardboard sunroof cover, Nissan-grade plastics for the rear air vents, etc.). Half-assed car typical of Infiniti.

Quick Reply: (RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.