Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to Replace Regal w/ Hatch/Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Of course--they have been customers for decades. There's momentum after buying/leasing the same brand of car for decades. But makers have to put out cars that will attract new customers, not just loyalists. I see the same thing with Caddy too--so many elderly drivers getting out of an ATS--they are clearly not Caddy's target customer for that vehicle. But Caddy's not going to refuse to sell to them.
Yeah, I don't quite understand Grandpa and Grandma buying the ATS either, just because it has a Cadillac nameplate on it. It not only has quite a stiff ride (with the flip-side, of course, being superb handling)...but is as different from the Tush-Cush DTS and DeVilles they were used to as night is from day.
Old 03-18-17, 07:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, I don't quite understand Grandpa and Grandma buying the ATS either, just because it has a Cadillac nameplate on it. It not only has quite a stiff ride (with the flip-side, of course, being superb handling)...but is as different from the Tush-Cush DTS and DeVilles they were used to as night is from day.
It has the Cadillac name and the payments fit within their Social Security budget, or they can buy it outright from their savings because it is cheap.
Old 03-18-17, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
It has the Cadillac name and the payments fit within their Social Security budget, or they can buy it outright from their savings because it is cheap.
What it means is that they (probably) aren't doing their homework....or talking to someone who has. For what an ATS costs (or less) there are plenty of sedans on the market that would do a far better job (or at least a significantly better job) of providing the cushy ride and seating comfort that many people in that age group want.
Old 03-19-17, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What it means is that they (probably) aren't doing their homework....or talking to someone who has. For what an ATS costs (or less) there are plenty of sedans on the market that would do a far better job (or at least a significantly better job) of providing the cushy ride and seating comfort that many people in that age group want.
I'm sure you are right. I was behind an elderly couple in an ATS this morning and immediately got around them because they were just poking along and leaving wide gaps in traffic. Right audience, wrong car.
Old 03-19-17, 09:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm sure you are right. I was behind an elderly couple in an ATS this morning and immediately got around them because they were just poking along and leaving wide gaps in traffic. Right audience, wrong car.
Yeah sometimes I think the older crowd just might not be very into the specifics on cars, ie a bit ignorant of what they're really getting and get a fast one pulled on them by the Cadillac salesman. They think "oh its a Cadillac, I really liked our old Seville we had back in the 90's". Yeah not even nearly the same car.

Previous job years ago I had this elderly couple who drove a 2000 BMW 530i with the sport package. Keep in mind this is before BMW went soft, the sport package had 18" wheels. I remember the week after they bought it(bought it used), I saw them again, this time the car was riding on base model 15" or 16" wheels. I asked the misses about this, she said "Oh he had no idea what in the hell he bought, that this was a sports car. It rode like an ox-cart. We took it to our mechanic who said nothing was wrong with it, he suggested the smaller wheels, and it does ride a bit better"
Old 03-20-17, 05:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

And this business of dumping sedans is getting completely out of hand. There are people out there that still DO want them. This is NOT Europe.
yes of course there are people that want them, but it's not a binary thing, sedans are still available in large varieties, and aren't going away. car companies are simply reacting to market demand they're not arbitrarily dumping vehicles. this quote from the article above says it all though:

U.S. sales of midsize sedans have dropped for 2 consecutive years, and the segment is off 20 percent in the 1st 2 months of 2017.
True, but my point was that you don't necessarily have to totally rob Peter to pay Paul...which is what some auto manufacturers are doing.
actually yes you do as car companies cannot make an arbitrarily large number of different vehicles, they have budget and manufacturing constraints. just certifying different models for sale (let alone designing and building) is hugely expensive and time-consuming.

in just one year (especially if this article is correct), [Buick] will have dumped both of their smaller American-market sedans, with only one left...the LaCrosse. This, IMO, is simply unacceptable.
the numbers don't lie, their sedan sales volume sucks.

Cascada 623 +27.7% (month vs last year) +61.9% (YTD vs last year)
Enclave 2973 -27.9% -27.5%
Encore 6525 11.2% 9.2%
Envision 3139 (new)
LaCrosse 1348 -49.0% -60.4%
Regal 1023 -36.4% -53.7%
Verano 488 -84.1% -84.8%

Buick, for several years, has been trying (and succeeding) in bringing in new buyers. But you aren't going to keep being in new buyers if you try and cram all of them into SUVs.
the encore, envision and now aged enclave are what have brought in the volume.

the average American auto-buyer is apparently becoming addicted to the high-seating, winter-traction, ground clearance, and cargo-capacity of SUV's. That is probably going to continue, no matter what the price of gas is.
agreed.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah sometimes I think the older crowd just might not be very into the specifics on cars, ie a bit ignorant of what they're really getting and get a fast one pulled on them by the Cadillac salesman. They think "oh its a Cadillac, I really liked our old Seville we had back in the 90's". Yeah not even nearly the same car.
true - i've seen this a lot, they often get talked into what clearly is not the right choice.
Old 03-20-17, 05:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

love that new insignia though, in both forms...
Old 03-20-17, 06:39 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When Ford and GM first started releasing these types of vehicles with a sedan option and a "hatchback but looks like a sedan option" in Europe the market was pretty split between those that wanted a hatchback and those that didn't. Pretty quickly the sedan buyers realised the hatchback offered more advantages without any disadvantages and sales fell until it no longer was economical to produce a separate sedan version.
Old 03-20-17, 04:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They've always bought a Cadillac, and they return to get their next one--that's the extent of their "homework". And, as stated above, the ATS fits their budget. Most people don't do much "homework" before car shopping, anyway. Sheeple.
Old 03-20-17, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
When Ford and GM first started releasing these types of vehicles with a sedan option and a "hatchback but looks like a sedan option" in Europe the market was pretty split between those that wanted a hatchback and those that didn't. Pretty quickly the sedan buyers realised the hatchback offered more advantages without any disadvantages and sales fell until it no longer was economical to produce a separate sedan version.
A steeply-raked hatchback, though, with a low, sedan roofline (somewhat like that found on the new Chevy Volt), really doesn't add much in the way of utility (and gets people in the rear seat wet if you have to open it in the rain LOL). Far more useful is the true, squared-off, wagon rear end which significantly adds to the cargo area, and usually doesn't impede visibility as much.