Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 09:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default 2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover

One year after introducing a more powerful engine to the Sienna, Toyota is making further updates to the best-selling minivan in the U.S. The 2018 Toyota Sienna heads to the New York auto show next month with new technologies and an updated exterior design.
Other upgrades can be found inside the cabin, such as a new Toyota Entune 3.0 unit for all models. The infotainment system comes with standard Connected Navigation Scout GPS link with Moving Maps, a turn-by-turn nav app. LE, SE, and XLE grades receive Entune Audio Plus, which includes Safety Connect emergency assistance and Wi-Fi Connect with 4G LTE. The Entune 3.0 Premium JBL Audio system, standard on the top-trim Limited model and available on the SE and XLE, features a premium sound system as well as Dynamic Navigation, which provides wireless updates over-the-air for improved map accuracy.
Toyota has added Android streaming capability to the rear seat entertainment system. There are five USB ports throughout the cabin allowing passengers in all three rows to hook up their devices. To reduce noise, vibration, and harshness, the automaker introduced a laminated front windshield to the mid-level SE model and new acoustic front row side glass on the top Limited trim.
Old 03-22-17, 10:42 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a stopgap until the new Sienna on the new platform comes out in ~2 years time. They did the same with the Yaris -- new engine, and new front and rear fascias.
Old 03-22-17, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Needed to be an all new van, Odyssey is all new this year, Pacifica, the Sienna has become an also-ran.
Old 03-22-17, 11:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Needed to be an all new van, Odyssey is all new this year, Pacifica, the Sienna has become an also-ran.
Agreed. Not much to see here.

It doesn't suck. It needs a vacuum.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-22-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right...how do they expect me to drive my screeching money holes around without a vacuum?!?!?
Old 03-22-17, 02:06 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

How old is this thing already? I feel like they keep changing the nose and tail lights every couple of years and call it "new."
Old 03-22-17, 02:14 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just slap on the hedious Camry face and call it updated? Eyes rolling..
Old 03-22-17, 02:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is the second refresh. Surprising when the minivan segment has had a little resurgence here, and it's now the oldest van in the segment by a wide margin.
Old 03-22-17, 02:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
How old is this thing already? I feel like they keep changing the nose and tail lights every couple of years and call it "new."
From the linked article, 7 years.

Given that Honda revealed an all-new Odyssey for 2018, and Chrysler continues to shake up the minivan segment with its Pacifica, it’s interesting that Toyota has chosen to refresh its current-gen Sienna, which has been around for seven model years already. Will it be competitive with this new crop of people-movers? We’ll find out when the 2018 Toyota Sienna goes on sale in the U.S. this fall.
I doubt that they'll have a hard time moving this, as the Sienna always seems to sell well, but I agree, it's time for a new one. We looked at them when shopping for our Highlander and the interior fell well short of our expectations. Cavernous but unimpressive in design and materials.
Old 03-22-17, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This Sienna will do well for the Toyota fan. It still is the second best minivan after the Honda.. The new standard features are pretty good. Looks like they are going to try to make it even more quieter. Lots of features galore. My brother recently got one, very nice model.

I still believe the Lexus brand could fully support a Lexus minivan.
Old 03-22-17, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This Sienna will do well for the Toyota fan. It still is the second best minivan after the Honda.. The new standard features are pretty good. Looks like they are going to try to make it even more quieter. Lots of features galore. My brother recently got one, very nice model. For the prices Toyota is charging, they could offer just a little bit more and call it a Lexus.

I still believe the Lexus brand could fully support a Lexus minivan. It would be a massive hit. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-22-17 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 03:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I was going to start a thread here when I saw this on siennachat, didn't think people would comment much about the sienna.

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Just slap on the hedious Camry face and call it updated? Eyes rolling..
Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yep, toyota has really milked the current sienna design to death here.

As a sienna owner, I was hoping for "an all new sienna" rather than slapping on a new revised front end and adding a lower valence to the rear

Odyssey is all new this year and I thought toyota is going to fight it for a 2018 model.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This Sienna will do well for the Toyota fan. It still is the second best minivan after the Honda.. The new standard features are pretty good. Looks like they are going to try to make it even more quieter. Lots of features galore. My brother recently got one, very nice model. For the prices Toyota is charging, they could offer just a little bit more and call it a Lexus.

I still believe the Lexus brand could fully support a Lexus minivan. It would be a massive hit. Hopefully that will happen soon.
You should make a poll, but I don't think so.
I love my sienna se, but I sure wouldn't buy a limited sienna ($45k+ is really stretching it.)

In other countries, like Asia-yes, not here.
A Canadian member is having a hard time getting one since they're getting snatched up and sent overseas.

Unlike the other thread regarding suv replacing flagship sedans, a majority of the people would opt for an suv rather than an expensive van.
Old 03-22-17, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The second best Minivan? I would say it's the 4th place Minivan having driven everything but the new Odyssey.

Only reason to buy the Sienna is if you have to buy Toyota for some reason. I would rank the minivans currently:

1. Odyssey
2. Pacifica
3. Sedona
4. Sienna
Old 03-22-17, 06:35 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

when is the 296hp 3.5L going to be used in the lexus ES?
Old 03-22-17, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

New ES out next year...

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover