Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend: Giulia vs. 330i vs. A4 vs. C300 vs. ATS vs. XE vs. IS vs. Q50 vs. S60

Old 03-14-17, 01:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not very surprising although since they're 'COMPACT' so-called 'luxury' sport sedans, why the negatives from small back seats?
Because they're still sedans and used for carrying people? Otherwise you could just get a coupe.

I avoided buying an IS for years because I still wanted a usable back seat. I didn't find the rear seat in the 2IS big enough but in the 3IS it was just big enough to fill the need.
Old 03-14-17, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Meh, I don't believe that. That's one reason I trust CR over rags like MT.
Well, it's true that CR does not accept advertising (nor should it, IMO) and some other mags do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that one can buy their way into first place in a review. First, rankings are usually done by an objective vote among all of those involved driving the different vehicles in the comparison, and these votes are often done by category...engine, transmission, brakes, fit/finish, interior comfort, interior/exterior styling,ride, handling, quietness, etc..... The winner is usually the one that gets the highest number of votes in each category, and how much that category, percentage-wise, adds to the total score.

Second, not only that, but, even with a traditional auto-enthusiast mag like MT, there are still some ethical standards that have to be met. If word got out that someone took a bribe, or that the highest-bidder won, or that more ads, over a period of time, produced more winners, the editors and staff would probably have the accreditation of the magazine, and their licenses to print taken away from them.

Third, a lot of enthusiasts like us read articles like this (and I've stressed before......one can be a car enthusiast without being a speed enthusiast)...but how much of the general public does....or cares? In most cases, regardless of what magazines think, those people are going to be out shopping for Corollas/Camrys, Civic/Accords, RAV-4s/Highlanders, and CR-V/Pilots. And that's what they are going to bring home, not a finely-tuned sports-sedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-17 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 02:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Because they're still sedans and used for carrying people?
'compact' sedan always means cramped rear seat to me.
Old 03-14-17, 02:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I certainly wouldn't label them as spacious, but some are usable and some are much less so. In a comparison of sedans, whether compact or full size, I would expect some mention of the usability of the rear seat.
Old 03-14-17, 02:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

most of the time, yes!
Old 03-14-17, 03:38 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sat in the Giulia and it is visibly poorly built with cheap, awful materials. There's also tons of road noise.
Old 03-14-17, 05:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I've sat in the Giulia and it is visibly poorly built with cheap, awful materials. There's also tons of road noise.
I drove them back in October and I felt a lot of the Giulia was well done. A step ahead of many of the Maserati products (kind of a low bar) and well in line with the segment competitors, save for the C-Class and maybe the A4.
Old 03-14-17, 06:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's easily the looker of the whole bunch and a great performer but yeah, too bad with that traditional Italian fit/finish/reliability legacy. I think you gotta buy these at a FCA dealership that carries them, so that's not exactly special either. But it's not supposed to be an ultra-lux vehicle either, so some things can be forgiven in the name of performance.

There are only about 80 dedicated dealers for these in the US. That's going to be a problem when the car becomes a problem, even under warranty.
Old 03-14-17, 07:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Alfa is a beautiful car, but I'll take my A4 with its "lack of personality" any day! ;-)
Old 03-14-17, 09:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

so in summary, another worthless 'magazine' comparison, written and judged by bored automotive writers who don't actually have to own and live with their choices.
Old 03-14-17, 10:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I love the Alfa, style wise its beautiful and from what I've read a real driver's car with great handling and at least in the top trim with the twin turbo V6, one hell of a roid raging, take no prisoners engine that just sounds fantastic(with no fake noise piped in through the speakers). That being said, if you can wait, get the 2018. Somehow I just don't trust FCA to work out all the bugs on the first model year, especially for a highly complex car like this.

As for the other choices in this comparison, I really do like the Audi for its clean lines and the Benz for its posh interior.
Old 03-14-17, 10:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Now, out of fantasy carland and into the real world. In the real world, real people buy cars that are reliable and safe bets. Practical choices weigh in in the real world. With that thrown in, the modern, reliable, accomplished, and efficient A4 should easily be #1. I wouldn't touch the Alpha, with it's sketchy history, lack of trustworthiness, and lack of dealers. The real world takes those things into consideration. The IS should be in second due to stellar reliability over the decades. 95% of those who drive in the real world do not need a sub 7 second 0-60 sedan. Now, back to fantasy carland...
Old 03-14-17, 11:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Cant believe there are so many comments that the Alfa is more gorgeous because the rear end, specifically the trunk lid, is so plane jane and resembles a camry
Old 03-15-17, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Now, out of fantasy carland and into the real world. In the real world, real people buy cars that are reliable and safe bets.
Yet the Focus, Escape, Charger, Challenger, and some other Chrysler products continue to sell quite well, despite below-average reliability.
Old 03-15-17, 08:23 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Their #1 winner is a vehicle with the following reassurance: " the Giulia is a car we’re willing to gamble on despite its reliability legacy and lack of cost-of -ownership data. " No thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend: Giulia vs. 330i vs. A4 vs. C300 vs. ATS vs. XE vs. IS vs. Q50 vs. S60