Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports rates new Honda Civic terrible in reliability (!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Consumer Reports rates new Honda Civic terrible in reliability (!)

Here we go again, with Consumer Reports tanking an entire car based on one category rating. According to my recent car issue, they state worse than average reliability with the on-board electronics. I would assume they mean the navigation, or audio adjustments. As much as I can't stand the frumpy, dumpy, metro-sexual bobcat styling of the new Civic, the interior interface can't be that bad- at least from other reviews I've read. In fact, I've heard no one complain about this area from those I've talked to. And the turd car is selling like mad. So unless I am mistaken, why put a thumbs down on a normally very reliable car based on some high-tech electronics that some people didn't get? I'd like to hear other people's opinion on this. I feel it's important considering how popular this car is and how long Honda has had a high reputation of reliability. I am a supporter of CR, but I feel ratings like this do a disservice to the community by not reporting things accurately.
Old 03-06-17, 10:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I just got the Annual New-Car Issue from CR, and, checking the data for the new Civic, you are correct...virtually all nice green marks in the 2016 reliability chart except for a red warning one for in-vehicle electronics. Whatever those electronic problems are (and it doesn't elaborate much beyond the standard icon-marks), they must be serious. Otherwise, I don't quite understand their conclusion, either.

CR usually (probably 98-99% of the time) does an excellent job, but sometimes, once in a while, they will come out with something questionable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-07-17 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 10:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Is it from not having a volume ****, like on some other Honda models? I thought they started adding it back in. If it's all based on that, that's certainly no reason to belittle the entire car. It also should warrant some sort of story or explanation. Proper journalism is reporting on a story that breaks tradition or is a surprise to people. Very disappointing.
Old 03-07-17, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whatever those electronic problems are (and it doesn't elaborate much beyond eh standard icon-marks), they must be serious.
exactly what CR wants you to think, to reinforce their mindshare as 'looking out for loyal subscribers' but as you say, without specifying what the problems are, it's ridiculous.

CR usually (probably 98-99% of the time) does an excellent job, but sometimes, once in a while, they will come out with something questionable.
good job obviously 98-99% of actual consumers don't read CR as the civic is selling like mad.
Old 03-07-17, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Proper journalism is reporting on a story that breaks tradition or is a surprise to people. Very disappointing.
but that's not CR's goal. it's to get 'headlines', clicks, attention, and 'scare' people into believing they must have CR to avoid being one of those people who bought a supposed lemon.
Old 03-07-17, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exactly what CR wants you to think, to reinforce their mindshare as 'looking out for loyal subscribers' but as you say, without specifying what the problems are, it's ridiculous.
Well, we do know, for a fact (not just conjecture reading person's minds), that several German carmakers, for a number of years, in the late 1990s through the late 2000s, produced very unreliable electronics that seriously damaged their reputation (yet a lot of people sill kept buying their products). I'm not necessarily saying that it's Honda's turn now (only time will tell)...but this is not the first report I've seen (or just from CR, either) of declining reliability in Honda products. Yet, when brand-new, straight out of the factory (and I saw this again with me recent Ridgeline review), they still seem as well-screwed together, or better, than from any other automaker.

good job obviously 98-99% of actual consumers don't read CR as the civic is selling like mad.
Can't necessarily pin (or not pin) sales figures on CR. Many vehicles that CR is criticized for poor reliability have sold quite well. Just recently, the Charger and Challenger (not to mention your own Jeep Grand Cherokee, though, from what you have told us, yours has been reliable so far).......and they all have very high customer satisfaction ratings despite questionable reliability.
Old 03-07-17, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Proper journalism is reporting on a story that breaks tradition or is a surprise to people. Very disappointing
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but that's not CR's goal. it's to get 'headlines', clicks, attention, and 'scare' people into believing they must have CR to avoid being one of those people who bought a supposed lemon.
Fizzboy has a point. Another good example is when the 2006 Camry V6, with its defective automatic transmissions, caught CR off guard after years of recommending the (usually) reliable Camrys. CR is generally a lot more careful now of simply recommending by tradition.
Old 03-07-17, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I just got the Annual New-Car Issue from CR, and, checking the data for the new Civic, you are correct...virtually all nice green marks in the 2016 reliability chart except for a red warning one for in-vehicle electronics. Whatever those electronic problems are (and it doesn't elaborate much beyond the standard icon-marks), they must be serious. Otherwise, I don't quite understand their conclusion, either.

Is that based on one sample size or multiple?
Old 03-07-17, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Is that based on one sample size or multiple?
Well, I've been reading the magazine almost 50 years....since the late 1960s. I'd say that's a pretty good history of samples.
Old 03-07-17, 02:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If people are really annoyed by a confusing needlessly complicated touchscreen interface and loosing intuitive buttons and ***** they will give it poor marks just for that and then the whole car suffers. The car can be reliable with everything else but that one thing can ruin its ratings.
Old 03-07-17, 07:32 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Remember the new Honda's as of late has had a rash of issues, I point to not only the Civic but the Honda Pilot as examples of the stellar brand's latest stumblings. Checking out Edmunds on the 2016 Pilot (my wife considered one) is plagued with VCM issues, shuddering, and the hated audio touch-screen interface (which they altered in 2017 by adding the volume button). Keep in mind the 2016 Civic, while welcomed with early good reviews, had a stop sale during the 2016 calendar year because of the 2.0L http://www.consumerreports.org/civic...6-honda-civic/

While I assume manufacturing shortfalls not being able to keep up with demand led to reduced 2016 Pilot sales, an article somewhere (I think KBB or something) actually insinuated Honda was dissapointed at the units volume of the 2016 Pilot
Old 03-07-17, 07:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every two or three months the usual suspects show up posting a CR bashing thread. I don't know who forces anyone to take one organization's opinion as the truth while subscribing to it. Informed consumers always use multiple online sources as well as anecdotal opinions.

OP, you forgot one important detail in your rant against CR. You didn't post anything about vehicles the organization recommends and other vehicles CR is also not recommending. Context is everything.

Here's Autoblog's article on this issue:

The Civic isn't the only surprise drop from CR's Recommended ranks. The Audi A3, Ford F-150, Subaru WRX/STI, and Volkswagen Jetta, GTI, and Passat all lost the Consumer Reports' checkmark. On the flipside, a number of popular vehicles graduated to the Recommended ranks, including the BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, and Cruze, Hyundai Santa Fe, Porsche Macan, and Tesla Model S. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the hilariously recall-prone Ford Escape getting a Recommended check – considering the popularity of Ford's small crossover, this is likely a coup for the brand, as it puts the Escape on a level playing field with the Recommended Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Nissan Rogue.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/24/c...s-honda-civic/
Old 03-07-17, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Every two or three months the usual suspects show up posting a CR bashing thread. I don't know who forces anyone to take one organization's opinion as the truth while subscribing to it. Informed consumers always use multiple online sources as well as anecdotal opinions.

OP, you forgot one important detail in your rant against CR. You didn't post anything about vehicles the organization recommends and other vehicles CR is also not recommending. Context is everything.

Here's Autoblog's article on this issue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/24/c...s-honda-civic/
The reasons CR listed are absolutely pathetic within the big picture. You don't completely cut down a car based on a volume ****, lack of options/packaging, or availability. As I suspected, CR's ratings for the Civic are unprofessional, irrational, and inconsistent with other judging. Very much like their pathetic rating of the current IS. I take this magazine, like I have been since the beginning, with a grain of salt. Thanks for the link evidence.
Old 03-07-17, 11:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

decided to do some googling on CR...

looks like they've lost tons of experienced talent and staff have wonderful things to say like:
“The organization lies to employees, fires with no warning, and lacks the very credibility they try and portray in their advocacy information products.”
http://www.alternet.org/media/expose...nsumer-reports

their subscriber base is shrinking and aging...
Consumer Reports reached its peak number of subscribers in 2008, when it had nearly 8 million (print and digital combined), according to Kelli Halyard, a spokesperson. At present, it has roughly 7 million—3.8 million of them print subscribers and 3.2 million of them digital. This is, by magazine standards, a huge subscription base, but the worrisome news for Consumer Reports is that their demographics skew older: The average print subscriber is 65 years old, and the average digital subscriber is 56
but from the same article, a brighter note... they bought consumerist.com in '08 which appeals to a younger audience, but as far as i can see, only provides revenue through donations.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...review/477108/

the biggest issue CR has though is simply the vast number of consumer-provided online reviews that are free... sure some are sponsored, and some are fake/fraud, but nothing's perfect.

my big beef with CR is flawed methodologies and conclusions that don't make sense from very limited data, or stale data (e.g., trending a rating of a car or brand that has been completely replaced in recent years).
Old 03-08-17, 12:12 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I still think the best way to research reliability is to search in a forum like this one. Go look at Cadillacforums.com, compare the number of *****/complaint threads vs clublexus.com and you can come to an obvious conclusion about which late model cars have fewer problems.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports rates new Honda Civic terrible in reliability (!)