Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda begins U.S. production of new 10-speed transmission

Old 03-06-17, 02:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Honda begins U.S. production of new 10-speed transmission

TALLAPOOSA, Ga. – Honda today launched global production of a new, state-of-the-art 10-speed automatic transmission at Honda Precision Parts of Georgia, LLC (HPPG) in Tallapoosa, Georgia.

Honda also announced that it has invested nearly $150 million in two U.S. manufacturing plants for production of the industry's first 10-speed automatic transmission (10AT) for front-wheel-drive vehicles.

The new investment includes $100 million for a new assembly line and production modifications at HPPG and an additional $49 million to provide new equipment and increased production capacity at Honda Transmission Mfg. of America, Inc. (HTM) in Russells Point, Ohio. The amount adds to the more than $3 billion that Honda has invested in its U.S. plants over the past four years.

Developed by Honda R&D, the new 10AT features a low-friction design, which will deliver outstanding drivability in new Honda and Acura vehicles. It will appear first in upper grades of the all-new 2018 Honda Odyssey minivan, launching this spring, and will be applied to additional light-truck and car models in the future.

"This new 10-speed automatic transmission represents Honda's commitment to provide our customers with products of outstanding performance, and we are honored to be the global lead plant for production of the 10AT," said Masahiko Kayama, president of Honda Precision Parts of Georgia. "Manufacturing the new transmission in Georgia is a huge responsibility and a great opportunity for Honda associates to demonstrate their manufacturing capabilities and commitment."

HPPG was established in 2006 and annually produces more than 375,000 transmissions for Honda and Acura automobiles. HTM began production in 1996 and now produces more than one million transmissions per year for Honda and Acura vehicles built in North America.

Honda in America
Honda began its North America operations in Los Angeles, California, in 1959. Today, Honda companies in North America represent a cumulative investment of more than $22 billion and employ more than 40,000 associates in the design, development, manufacture, marketing, financing and servicing of Honda and Acura automobiles, Honda powersports products and Honda power equipment products.

Honda has been producing products in America for more than 37 years using domestic and globally sourced parts and currently operates 19 major manufacturing facilities in North America. Honda also operates 16 major research and development centers in the U.S. with the capacity to fully design, develop and engineer many of the products Honda produces in North America. In 2016, more than 95 percent of all Honda and Acura automobiles sold in the U.S. were made in North America.

http://www.hondanews.com/releases/honda-invests-nearly-150-million-to-begin-u-s-production-of-new-10-speed-transmission?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Honda%20Invests%20Nearly%20150%20Million%20to%20Begin%20US%20Production%20of%20New%2010-Speed%20Transmission&utm_content=Honda%20Invests%20Nearly%20150%20Million%20to%20Begin%20US%20Production%20of%20New%2010-Speed%20Transmission+CID_d1b427406c5cea570521c9cbf7894fd4&utm_source=Honda%20Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=View%20Full%20Release
Old 03-06-17, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

with so much effort already into cvt's i'm wondering why they felt a 10 speed was needed, but it's likely an easier retrofit into existing vehicles.
Old 03-06-17, 04:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with so much effort already into cvt's i'm wondering why they felt a 10 speed was needed, but it's likely an easier retrofit into existing vehicles.
Maybe for higher torque applications like the V6's? Keep the general 4 cylinders on CVT but then use geared transmissions for the larger engines. I believe Toyota is following a similar path.
Old 03-06-17, 04:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

CVTs are limited by the torque of the engine. Seeing Nissan's experience with CVTs on their larger, V6 engines, Honda may be limiting CVTs to their 4-cylinder engines and using the 10-speed transmission on their 6-cylinder engines.

Toyota is essentially doing the same thing. The smaller 4-cylinder engines, as used on the Corolla, will use the CVT while larger 4-cylinder engines, as used on the Camry, will not.
Old 03-06-17, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Even aside from the known weaknesses and problems of the CVT drive-belts, the newer conventional stepped-gear transmissions (both torque-converter and dual-clutch) with many gears in them seem to have a higher breakdown rate than older units with fewer gears. Consumer Reports ran a recent story on this. That, in some ways, is not surprising...fewer parts, fewer breakdowns, except, of course, with weak CVT drive-belts.
Old 03-07-17, 01:47 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I know its all in the name of efficiency, but if you have that many damn gears, the transmission/computer has a hard time deciding which one to be in. I've read several bad reviews of these new 8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions in regards to shift patterns/hunting. Its not like we're driving a semi-truck pulling an 80,000lb load with an engine that has an effective operating range from 1200rpm to 1900rpm.

I know with the crazy CAFE standards coming into effect, even something like this new transmission that gives you a 0.25mpg advantage is now being put into cars. Even if it makes the car less reliable and worse to drive.
Old 03-07-17, 02:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ even the 6spd auto on my 06 IS250 was annoying - downshifting at highway speeds just to make it up an overpass; I can only imagine how a 10-spd would be.
Old 03-07-17, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
^^^ even the 6spd auto on my 06 IS250 was annoying - downshifting at highway speeds just to make it up an overpass; I can only imagine how a 10-spd would be.
downshifting to make it up an overpass is annoying when 6th on that is250 had very little accelerating power? seems reasonable to me.

and more gears becomes more seamless. my jeep with its 8 speed has a number indicator on the gauge showing the gear number and sometimes i watch it change and realize i can't feel the shifts at all.
Old 03-07-17, 06:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

downshifting to make it up an overpass is annoying when 6th on that is250 had very little accelerating power? seems reasonable to me.

and more gears becomes more seamless. my jeep with its 8 speed has a number indicator on the gauge showing the gear number and sometimes i watch it change and realize i can't feel the shifts at all.
As long as the shifts are smooth and the RPM change with each shift is not great, I agree, gear changes in a multi-speed transmission should become more seamless.
Old 03-07-17, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
That's true to an extent, but your transmission most likely downshifted on acceleration more from that particular engine's lack of torque than from the number of gears it has. If the engine can't provide the kind of power you want (without lugging) in one gear, the laws of physics pretty much dictate that it has to downshift to make up for it. That's why you could take a car like the Dodge Viper or Corvette Z06, with a huge power-to-weight ratio, and practically accelerate from a stop in third or fourth gear.....unless you were in drag race, you hardly ever had to downshift at all.