Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should F-sport mean more?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 08:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Should F-sport mean more?

Currently it is an appearance and handling package. Let's disregard what the competition is doing and ask should it be more than that since it is no faster than a non F Sport. With these new turbo engines coming, perhaps an extra 15 to 20hp should be on the offering with F packages. Especially for the money that they charge for it. Seeing a Lexus with the F Sport package on the street tells me it corners better than mine, for $5k more.
Old 03-03-17, 08:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't enthusiasts mod their cars for far much more money so that it corners better?

In short, the F-Sport options satisfy a need for those who do want more and know what they're paying for. And still be under warranty.
Old 03-03-17, 08:48 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

If you asked me if I wanted more power, or better handling. I would choose better handling. To me a car that handles superbly is more fun to drive, than a faster car that doesn't handle as well . I can only drive so fast on the road, but I can experience great handling anytime I'm driving. So I'm good with the f-sport being a handling package.
Old 03-03-17, 09:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Isn't this the same as what BMW and AMG does with their packages? When I was looking at a 3 series last summer they had the M package which was a couple different things like different bumpers and some handling/suspension changes. I'm ok with this.

If you are talking about true F packages (GS-F, RC-F) vs true M and AMG cars that's another thing and I would like to see a little more power there to be competitive even though they are at a lower price point.
Old 03-03-17, 10:21 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Isn't this the same as what BMW and AMG does with their packages? When I was looking at a 3 series last summer they had the M package which was a couple different things like different bumpers and some handling/suspension changes. I'm ok with this.

If you are talking about true F packages (GS-F, RC-F) vs true M and AMG cars that's another thing and I would like to see a little more power there to be competitive even though they are at a lower price point.
Lexus screwed up and dilute its "F" brand name .
I think Lexus should leave "F" name solely on its GS-F, GS-F, LS-F, and RC-F, but you can see every Lexus carries a "F" badge on the street.

I bought a CT F packet before, it's just a joke, it's nothing different than just upgrade a harder spring on normal CT.
Old 03-03-17, 10:23 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I personally feel that the current F-Sport offerings are more about appearance packages than true handling upgrades. Though the upgraded suspension offered on cars such as the IS350/GS350/RC350 F-Sports are improved over the stock suspension set-up, the factory F-Sport suspension still feels too soft and compromised on the track and not up-to-par compared to the F-suspension tuning provided on cars like the IS-F/RC-F/GS-F.

Back in 2007/2008 when F-Sport made its debut as a performance accessories package, the F-Sport suspension tuning actually rivaled the handling capabilities of the IS-F which made it more hardcore and reputable to track-day enthusiasts.

When you pretty much have sedated vehicles like the RX350 and CT200h being offered as a F-Sport (with no track-prowess to show for), it really kills the respectability of what F-Sport could mean to Lexus, IMHO.

To answer the OP's question, yes, I would like to see F-Sport mean more. For starters, the F-Sport suspension tuning should revert back to rivaling its big brother F variants with a firmer suspension set-up. The addition of a Torsen LSD as standard equipment for the F-Sport package is another improvement I'd like to see. Lastly, get rid of the F-Sport badged vehicles that are essentially appearance packages like the RX350 F-Sport.
Old 03-03-17, 12:43 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Don't enthusiasts mod their cars for far much more money so that it corners better?

In short, the F-Sport options satisfy a need for those who do want more and know what they're paying for. And still be under warranty.
True. However, if you are buying a factory F Sport package, most likely you will not modify the car. I mean why pay for something only to remove it and replace it with something else? I just think Lexus should offer a bit more power to the package as a differentiator. 15 to 20hp isnt a lot, but it feels good to know you have it.
Old 03-04-17, 08:01 PM
Longevite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No HP upgrade but lighter.

I am not sure about other models, but GS350 F Sport 133 lbs lighter, 0-60 0.1 sec slower than previous GS460.
Old 03-04-17, 10:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The F-sport package has been a huge success for the brand. I'd say about half the models sold in my neck of the woods have this package. However, it should have been named something else, as it is too close to the expensive F performance upgrade. The average person cannot discern between the two based on name alone. That was a poor marketing plan and decision on Lexus's part.
Also, as far as hp upgrades for the standard F-sport, not needed. Most buyers do not race their cars nor need extra power. They just care about styling, which is what's driving the package's sales.
Old 03-05-17, 06:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The F-sport package has been a huge success for the brand. I'd say about half the models sold in my neck of the woods have this package. However, it should have been named something else, as it is too close to the expensive F performance upgrade. The average person cannot discern between the two based on name alone. That was a poor marketing plan and decision on Lexus's part.
Also, as far as hp upgrades for the standard F-sport, not needed. Most buyers do not race their cars nor need extra power. They just care about styling, which is what's driving the package's sales.
I agree with you, but I'm sure Lexus looked at BMW's "M" models and their "M-Sport" packages and thought, "hey, that worked for them". The problem is that the Lexus F models haven't been around long enough or created enough awareness to create an offshoot package. That has most likely created the confusion. The BMW M cars are iconic.
Old 03-06-17, 01:33 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I personally feel that the current F-Sport offerings are more about appearance packages than true handling upgrades. Though the upgraded suspension offered on cars such as the IS350/GS350/RC350 F-Sports are improved over the stock suspension set-up, the factory F-Sport suspension still feels too soft and compromised on the track and not up-to-par compared to the F-suspension tuning provided on cars like the IS-F/RC-F/GS-F.

Back in 2007/2008 when F-Sport made its debut as a performance accessories package, the F-Sport suspension tuning actually rivaled the handling capabilities of the IS-F which made it more hardcore and reputable to track-day enthusiasts.

When you pretty much have sedated vehicles like the RX350 and CT200h being offered as a F-Sport (with no track-prowess to show for), it really kills the respectability of what F-Sport could mean to Lexus, IMHO.

To answer the OP's question, yes, I would like to see F-Sport mean more. For starters, the F-Sport suspension tuning should revert back to rivaling its big brother F variants with a firmer suspension set-up. The addition of a Torsen LSD as standard equipment for the F-Sport package is another improvement I'd like to see. Lastly, get rid of the F-Sport badged vehicles that are essentially appearance packages like the RX350 F-Sport.
And then the package price increases by 3 folds, not going to happen, at least not under the guise of F-sport. A counterpart of "CSL" or "DINAN" comes to mind for this option.

Agreed with the rest of the points. Currently, F-sport is basically a gimmick.
Old 03-06-17, 02:21 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
And then the package price increases by 3 folds, not going to happen, at least not under the guise of F-sport. A counterpart of "CSL" or "DINAN" comes to mind for this option.

Agreed with the rest of the points. Currently, F-sport is basically a gimmick.
I agree with you; ranging back to an 04 LS430 with the sports-tuned suspension (one of the very few ways you could tell was the sports badge on the front quarter panel) it is just a suspension mod with a few aesthetics to justify the $$$ back then. fast forward to now, checked out a 2013 LS460 F-Sport and other than the F-Sport badging, if you blindfolded me I would have been hard-pressed to tell the difference in driving that and a regular 2013 LS460.

Value & beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I think the LS460 F is closer to the "ultimate driving experience" than a regular, but hardly warrants the $10k price upgrade with no powertrain tweaks. Same with a NX F-Sport that I checked out with a friend (for his daughter), he couldn't see the big difference other than aesthetics. In fact, a CR or Edmunds report said a RX F-Sport handled worse than a regular RX when cornering (or something like that).

So all in all, I do think it is a gimmick. Shows why (I'm currently looking at pre-owned) a 2013 LS460 F-Sport doesn't command much of a premium compared to a "base" LS460. The market, and consequently dealers, haven't seen enough value to justify a significant level of price difference.
Old 03-06-17, 07:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People might recall that Lexus had the L-tuned packages available on IS and GS cars way back in about 2001. They were pricey but you got springs (Eibach), exhaust (TRD) and sway bars (TRD). You also got different wheels/tires. So really F Sport is just the evolution of these sporty add-ons that might have extra body pieces.

BMW has the famous M cars and then you could also get the M Sport. Yes Lexus imitated the Bimmers to an extent. Basically it was a question of whether you wanted the rip roaring over the top car or you wanted better handling and didn't want to get too track-obnoxious.
Old 03-06-17, 07:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
a 2013 LS460 F-Sport doesn't command much of a premium compared to a "base" LS460. The market, and consequently dealers, haven't seen enough value to justify a significant level of price difference.
I think this is because according to the luminaries on the forum (and they are vocal about smooth marshmallow ride), you can't disturb the peaceful cocoon of the average owner of the LS. They just don't toss an LS into a corner like an IS, GS driver. The demographic might put up with the spindle for sporty appearance but they ain't into the champagne spilling out of the glasses in the back seat.
Old 03-07-17, 06:19 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
And then the package price increases by 3 folds, not going to happen, at least not under the guise of F-sport.
With regards to having a Torsen LSD as standard equipment under the F-Sport trim, if you go on the Lexus website and try to build a RC350 F-Sport (for example sake), a Torsen LSD is available as optional equipment for an additional $390.00.

Quick Reply: Should F-sport mean more?