Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should F-sport mean more?

Old 03-07-17, 08:09 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
With regards to having a Torsen LSD as standard equipment under the F-Sport trim, if you go on the Lexus website and try to build a RC350 F-Sport (for example sake), a Torsen LSD is available as optional equipment for an additional $390.00.

Interesting. I did a quick looksie and found that standard equipment already included the mechanical installation of a open differential; the option seems to add in a torque vector unit to assist with the hardware.

In my negative view of the world, the price of having a LSD is already built into the MSRP whether you want it or not. The F-sport enhances the capabilities of the LSD...like the i8 with their range limiter removal upgrade package (same freaking battery in both premium and base models).

Good to know that there's a LSD in base model, though.
Old 03-07-17, 08:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm fine with F Sport as it is, though it certainly varies from one model to the next, and even within models where, for example, the IS200t F Sport does not get AVS while the IS350 F Sport does.

F Sport is merely an appearance and handling package. On my GS I feel that I got what I paid for - AVS, F Sport front end, sport seats, different suspension components, bigger wheels, etc. I have been pleased with the look and performance of the package.

For the RX, I don't mind it as I think the F Sport appearance suits it well, and it may not be a performance SUV/CUV, but the addition of AVS is a nice feature. It's too bad the US Spec NX doesn't get AVS.
Old 03-07-17, 09:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm fine with F Sport as it is, though it certainly varies from one model to the next, and even within models where, for example, the IS200t F Sport does not get AVS while the IS350 F Sport does.

F Sport is merely an appearance and handling package. On my GS I feel that I got what I paid for - AVS, F Sport front end, sport seats, different suspension components, bigger wheels, etc. I have been pleased with the look and performance of the package.

For the RX, I don't mind it as I think the F Sport appearance suits it well, and it may not be a performance SUV/CUV, but the addition of AVS is a nice feature. It's too bad the US Spec NX doesn't get AVS.
So true. Also, its a shame the 200t doesn't get the AVS too as I think it makes the handling waaay better. The car handles okay in normal mode but on uneven pavement, it tends to bob a little too much for my taste. If you put it in Sport+ mode, the car feels more planted... I wish the I had the Custom mode where I could drive around with normal throttle and Sport+ suspension.
Old 03-07-17, 10:26 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
In my negative view of the world, the price of having a LSD is already built into the MSRP whether you want it or not. The F-sport enhances the capabilities of the LSD...like the i8 with their range limiter removal upgrade package (same freaking battery in both premium and base models).

Good to know that there's a LSD in base model, though.
Yes, the $390.00 price for adding the optional Torsen LSD to the F-Sport package is definitely not how much the Torsen LSD would cost as a single unit purchase (last I checked, Lexus OEM Torsen LSDs list for around $2,000-$2,500).

Like you mentioned, most of the cost for adding the optional Torsen LSD with the F-Sport package has already been built into the original F-Sport upgrade MSRP. It's a bit odd that Lexus won't bump up the MSRP for upgrading to a F-Sport model by an additional $390.00 to include the Torsen LSD as part of the standard F-Sport upgrade which would make a big difference on the more performance-oriented F-Sport models like the IS/RC/GS.