Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts about cars ---- from the Canadian International Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
But the Odyssey and the Sienna are comparable in interior space and comparable in features, so the comparison then comes down to whether you like smoother ride of the Sienna or the sportier handling of the Odyssey. Some prefer the smoother ride, while others, like you, prefer the handling.

The new CX-9 may not sell well just because it is missing the one key feature that people look for when shopping for 3-row minivan-substitutes, which is interior room.

I agree. I believe that in the CX-9, Mazda has traded form over function. It looks great, inside and out, but the people who are shopping for mass market 3-row people movers are looking for as much space for the buck first and foremost, and then looking at other features; I would venture to guess that sporty handling, and the quality of the wood trim and the leather are (much) further down the list. And if the Honda and Toyota salesperson is good enough, she will be able to talk down the turbocharged engine of the CX-9.

The CX-5, after Mazda put in the larger 2.5-litre engine in place of the original 2.0-litre engine is very comparable and so very competitive with the RAV4, CR-V and Ford Escape (the Big 3 in the compact crossover utility vehicle segment). But, in my opinion, Mazda designed the CX-5 as a good CUV first and foremost, selecting function over form. People looking for compact crossovers are looking for function (interior room, enough power to get out of its own way on the freeway but balanced with fuel economy) first and foremost.
Nicely said. I agree with everything you mentioned.
Old 02-26-17, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've driven the CX-9 as I've driven everything in that segment except for the new Pilot, which I have sat in. As a vehicle, my choice would undoubtedly be the CX-9. Its on a whole other level in terms of premium feel and drive, the interior is great. yeah its a little tighter than the competition, but thats one of the things that make it feel more premium and enthusiast targeted than something big, bland and cheap like say a Pilot or a Pathfinder, even a Highlander. As somebody who is used to luxury cars the CX-9 appeals to me on a level well above the competitors. Only other non luxury marque vehicle there that does that is the Explorer Platinum, and the high trim Durango Citadel is also nice but the dash is kind of rubbery and cheap looking. The drivetrain setup of the Durango would be the biggest plus for me.

The major negative to me for the CX-9 is the 4cyl only power. It feels fine, not brisk but competent. I just in general dislike 4cyl power. Thats an issue with Mazdas in general, which otherwise I love.