Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Range Rover Velar Teased

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 02:16 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

If you plan on spending $50k+ on an SUV, you would be crazy not to get this over a loaded RX or GX. Well especially leasing. You would have to be crazy to buy a RR unless you like spending money and getting to know your service advisor.
Old 03-02-17, 04:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Configurator is up on LR's website already. Super easy to shoot well past $60K on this with light options, which is precisely where they want it to be. Evoques near $50K and then Range Rover Sports are generally $70K+ so there's about a $20K gap on the "Range Rover" sub brand.
Old 03-02-17, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
If you plan on spending $50k+ on an SUV, you would be crazy not to get this over a loaded RX or GX. Well especially leasing. You would have to be crazy to buy a RR unless you like spending money and getting to know your service advisor.
While we can give people our opinions or advice (and I respect your opinion), I think it's a little out of place to tell people they would be "crazy" to spend (or not spend) their money on what they like and/or can afford. I agree that a RR purchase would be somewhat questionable from a reliability standpoint, and I'm not sure I would want to depend on one myself as a daily driver, either. But I certainly wouldn't call those who purchase or lease a RR "crazy"........in fact, here in the high-income D.C. area where I live, they are popular enough that dealers can't keep the big RRs in stock, despite their 100K price tag.
Old 03-02-17, 07:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stunning inside and out, but I would not want to risk RR reliability, multiplied by the fact that it is a first-year model. Some first-year models, yes. RR, no.
Old 03-02-17, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

This may seriously be my next car...
Old 03-02-17, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This may seriously be my next car...
If you actually owned every vehicle lately that you've wanted (or at least told us you wanted) you would be like Jay Leno LOL.

(I've liked a few myself.....ES, MKZ, Lacrosse, except for the Lacrosse's shifter)
Old 03-02-17, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you actually had every vehicle lately that you've wanted (or at least told us you wanted) you would be like Jay Leno LOL.
HAHA, this is true.
Old 03-03-17, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

You would have to be crazy to buy a RR unless you like spending money and getting to know your service advisor.
Originally Posted by dseag2
Stunning inside and out, but I would not want to risk RR reliability
comments like these may have been true a decade ago. now, no.

THIS is a luxury suv. i don't think RR will be able to keep up with demand.

stunning...

Old 03-03-17, 07:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I actually like the look of the dual displays...

I do too but there was a lot of hate towards another automakers dual displays (infiniti & honda I believe)
Old 03-03-17, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They still are, on an comparability basis (with RR ranking near the bottom of reliability-rankings by brand).....but not on an absolute basis, as the number of problems per vehicle for all brands has lessened in the least ten years.

Well, at least in my area, RR dealers can't keep up with demand NOW.
Old 03-03-17, 07:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While we can give people our opinions or advice (and I respect your opinion), I think it's a little out of place to tell people they would be "crazy" to spend (or not spend) their money on what they like and/or can afford. I agree that a RR purchase would be somewhat questionable from a reliability standpoint, and I'm not sure I would want to depend on one myself as a daily driver, either. But I certainly wouldn't call those who purchase or lease a RR "crazy"........in fact, here in the high-income D.C. area where I live, they are popular enough that dealers can't keep the big RRs in stock, despite their 100K price tag.
Sorry P.C. police. It was a figure of speech and certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone.
Old 03-03-17, 07:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

stunning...

It certainly is stunning and at $50k starting why not. I would lease to own instead of outright buying. Juuuuust in case of questionable reliability.
Old 03-03-17, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry P.C. police. It was a figure of speech and certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone.
Actually, I'm not a big fan of political correctness myself. And I'm not a moderator here, either....so I wasn't playing that part. I was just bringing up a point about how one chooses to spend their automotive dollar, that's all. We all debate the merits and de-merits of each vehicle, but in the end, most of us here buy and drive what suits us best.

Having said that, I myself am a little undecided on what my own next vehicle will be (perhaps within the next year). Right now, there are maybe five strong candidates....but that could change.
Old 03-03-17, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are some cool videos on YouTube, the tech looks great.

I like you can get cloth seats and that they cost money over the leather haha
Old 03-03-17, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There are some cool videos on YouTube, the tech looks great.

I like you can get cloth seats and that they cost money over the leather haha
Given the choice, IMO cloth sometimes makes more sense than leather/fake leather or vinyl. A well-done cloth seat has a plush feel to it, generally stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, and doesn't treat your body to temperature-shock when you first sit down on it. True, many of today's vehicles have seat-warmers (and sometimes coolers). But, without going into too much detail about my anatomy, I've found that my own butt sometimes warms the seat faster than the electrics LOL.

Cloth, of course, also does not need preservatives of treatments, but it can be harder (or impossible) to clean up after kiddie or pet stains. Years ago, many owners put clear plastic covers over cloth seats (especially in the old bench-seat days)...but IMO that defeats the very purpose of them LOL.

Quick Reply: 2018 Range Rover Velar Teased