Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 01:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I like the styling of the TLX a lot. Idk why they don't sell more, it probably has to do something with the price jacking up $10,000 to get AWD. At that point you've entered Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS350, and German sedan territory. Every one of the competitors has nicer interiors and superior performance.

Speaking of the NSX...I don't really care for it. Sweet looking car but it doesn't look ANYTHING like the original NSX! It should have been a homage to the original car by being styled like a modern version of the original. To add to that, the interior is unimpressive and the performance side hasn't gotten a great response from the press either. Overall, for a car costing more than an R8 and many variants of the 911, the new NSX sucks big time.
When I was looking for a daily driver last summer I considered the TLX and a good friend of mine worked at an Acura dealer so I could have gotten a great deal on the car with AWD for a great lease payment. However, when I test drove the car it just didn't do anything for me. It was so boring I couldn't get over it even though I would have saved more money on it. It was the only car of the cars I test drove that I ruled out completely.
Old 03-25-17, 11:27 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Excellent post on styling and design language cmk1!
Kind of reiterates much of what I said, however one thing you and I forgot to say was that the all Acura NSX II looks great!
All Acuras ought to have styling cues from the new NSX II if Acura is to bounce back.
I like the NSX II even more than the forthcoming Lexus LC Coupe.
However, I suspect that its numerous sharp creases may age faster.

Thank you Pete, as that was an observation I made on Acura awhile back and seeing your comment in here, brought me back to that. I do apologize for any typos though, as I often edit my text too much and leave things missing in between by mistake, to avoid being logged out before post submission.

Yes, I do agree the new NSX is a fantastic product, but I do question at times if it is as successful as they wanted it to be and seen as overpriced by die hard Europhiles.

I also had hoped the interior was much closer to the 2013 Concept, but I can understand why it wasn't. The cost would've been at least 25% more, even pushing more out of proximity to the original (in complicating manufacturabiltiy or more bespoke components).

It also never occurred to me, that the 2013 NSX Concept was the production exterior with some engineering input. When they claimed back in late 2012, that a "production NSX" would be revealed at 2013 NAIAS, they weren't really lying as it was (pre-design freeze) essentially that. The only thing that changed was the interior, which even looked different in this 2014 testing photo (below) from the 2016 production car (looked more like RLX). The weird thing about the NSX is how in 2010, after ditching the HSV-related replacement, they restarted development on it and by 2011 much of the design work clearly had been done. By the time the Avengers movie production team requested a special car from Acura in June 2011, Acura were already done with designing what later appeared at the 2012 NAIAS and Dave Marek deliberately ordered changes to obscure any NSX connections for Tony Stark's roadster.

Like the LF-LC and LC500, it took them over 5 years, showing this is really what happens when you base a production model on a design study.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow didn't know that. Loved the concept, this could be a nice flagship for Acura to slot above the RLX. I imagine it would fight the XTS, Continental, etc.. with a turbocharged V6 and optional AWD.

Yes, that concept was a shocker for me. And just for verifiability (for others that read this and don't believe me), this is from my paid source (also use Automotive News). Good guess on segment placement Hoovey, as that is most likely accurate.

I did find it silly that many individuals found it necessary to claim that the concept looked like a Mazda Atenza/6 copycat (a good family car), which is quite silly and just reeks of bias (and even I partly descend from a BMW/Mazda-selling family).

Anyway, now back on topic. If Acura is trying to get their act together, one can at least hope to count on Lexus to execute their late 2010's product range well. Sadly, the IS will not get any significant attention for 3 1/2 years. The LF-C2 is being retained on their U.S. website, making me wonder what they are really up to on that front. The LF-LC and LC have finally been removed from future vehicles. The LF-FC is being retained there, as it might come later as a range-topping fuel cell LS, a la LS600hL and Mercedes-Maybach. Other than that, the LF-C2 needs to be removed if they are not planning a convertible of any sort. It is old and irrelevant.

If they keep the LX and GX, moving them to TNGA-F, I wouldn't past Toyota to only refresh them for 20-30 years with no ground-up redesign. Like the Land Cruiser 70-Series has been since 1984, that of Range Rover from 1970 to 1996, and G-Class.