Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 05:12 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is also such a thing, as I have pointed out before, as being a car enthusiast without being a speed, racing, butt-bumping-suspension, or canyon-carving enthusiast. The two are NOT mutual by any means.
i couldn't disagree with you more
several people right here on Car Chat fit that description.
i couldn't agree with you more
Old 02-22-17, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
i couldn't disagree with you more

i couldn't agree with you more
With all due respect, it is not a matter of either agreeing of disagreeing. It is a simple fact (not an opinion) that one can have a passion for cars and not for aggressive driving. How do you think I (and others like me) have kept my driving record (though not perfect) as clean as it has been for so long (almost half a century)? You don't do that by constantly lead-footing it and drifting.

I've also seen a lot of young, promising lives snuffed out over the years by stupidity behind the wheel...particularly in V8 powered Mustangs, though one can get into trouble with virtually anything on four wheels if he or she tries hard enough.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-17 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 06:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because something sells well to the masses doesn't mean it's a great product or that it's special. In fact, if you look at the best sellers in many categories you find mediocrity sells. The Camry for instance is the least interesting car in its segment, same for the Corolla.

Most buyers are not enthusiasts, and a car that "checks all the boxes" and provides the Boeing transport they want while being "reliable" wins.
This is true but what does "mass market appeal" mean to you? Its certainly is not the same as niche or special market appeal.
Old 02-22-17, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
This is true but what does "mass market appeal" mean to you? Its certainly is not the same as niche or special market appeal.
Mass market appeal is great, but as enthusiasts we should want more, and a luxury car company should wand to provide more.
Old 02-22-17, 06:21 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a car enthusiast but I don't do doughnuts in the parking lot or burnouts at stoplights. I appreciate them because I grew up in a car-cultured household and we all loved cars. As I got older, I learned to appreciate the engineering, technology and style of cars even more. I definitely appreciate a lot of dang, honkin HP, too, but that doesn't mean I drive like a nutcase. Also, something special about simple V8s and heck V12s. We use to dream and lust for them growing up. Ferraris!

It's like what Teddy Roosevelt said, "speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." I just like the notion of having that power under the hood, even if I don't fully use it all the time. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Any car nut appreciates a lot of hp, I certainly do. I also appreciate smooth and quiet now. Sure, they're mutually exclusive for the most part, except for those few rare cars like the LS, S550, etc. These cars offer a unique blend of dead quiet and surprisingly fast when needed. I love those disparate attributes.
Old 02-22-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I'm a car enthusiast but I don't do doughnuts in the parking lot or burnouts at stoplights. I appreciate them because I grew up in a car-cultured household and we all loved cars. As I got older, I learned to appreciate the engineering, technology and style of cars even more. I definitely appreciate a lot of dang, honkin HP, too, but that doesn't mean I drive like a nutcase. Also, something special about simple V8s and heck V12s. We use to dream and lust for them growing up. Ferraris!

It's like what Teddy Roosevelt said, "speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." I just like the notion of having that power under the hood, even if I don't fully use it all the time. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Any car nut appreciates a lot of hp, I certainly do. I also appreciate smooth and quiet now. Sure, they're mutually exclusive for the most part, except for those few rare cars like the LS, S550, etc. These cars offer a unique blend of dead quiet and surprisingly fast when needed. I love those disparate attributes.
Sounds a lot like when I was in high school and college....I liked muscle-cars and big luxury cars both. Still do today....almost half a century later.

On the thread topic, what do you think of the direction Lexus is going? IMO, it is becoming more like BMW than Acura.
Old 02-22-17, 07:35 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

IMO, it is becoming more like BMW than Acura.
You've inspired me. Next month's thread topic: Is BMW Becoming the Next Lexus
Old 02-22-17, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You've inspired me. Next month's thread topic: Is BMW Becoming the Next Lexus
To some extent, but IMO that's more the case with Audi. I'll save any more comments, though, for your new thread.
Old 02-22-17, 08:08 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

My beef with Lexus is that they are content with selling a lot of RX, and ES units and building up the NX category.

When I look at MB, they have a lot of models (breadth) and they also go for depth (ex 6 iterations of the C class sedan).

They have 5 classes of convertibles and they offer 5 iterations of the C class convertible. Lexus has no convertible at this point.

What I am really getting at here is Lexus has not invested enough in models and drivetrains to really compete with MB and BMW.
Old 02-22-17, 10:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
My beef with Lexus is that they are content with selling a lot of RX, and ES units and building up the NX category.
I don't see what the big concern is. They have always sold a lot of these historically.
Old 02-23-17, 02:12 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Very educational!!!

Originally Posted by peteharvey
You hit the nail Steve.
We all call it FWD vs RWD, and transverse vs longitudinal, but in reality, it is about an entry level versus a premium platform.

The premium platform actually has a longer wheelbase, and a shorter front overhang, with the engine mounted behind the front axle for a near 50/50 weight distribution to maximise front end grip.
However, this longer wheelbase naturally causes more flexing of the platform, hence the premium platform must use either stiffer materials like more high tensile steel, thicker gauge metal, or taller/deeper nee stronger box sections to compensate.

4WD/AWD with engine in front of front axle versus longer wheelbase with engine behind the rear axle for near 50/50 weight distribution:

AWD is a great idea today, because cars have so much power and torque, they need to transmit to all four wheels to maximise traction.
However, it will be interesting to see what the next generation ES/GS AWD brings, and whether it uses a Camry-based entry level or a Lexus-based premium platform, because the Acura RLX AWD uses a short wheelbase with the engine mounted in front of the front axle on a shorter wheelbase, and this model has largely bombed out over the past 10+ years.

Furthermore, the premium platform uses higher lightweight aluminium content like aluminium bonnets, trunk lids and even doors, and aluminium suspension arms etc etc.

Rather than using cheap simple single lower suspension control arms like MacPherson struts at the front, and a trailing arm and transverse arms at the rear, premium platforms use double wishbone front, and multi-link rear suspension, which have more expensive unequal length lower and upper control arms to keep the tires more perpendicular to the road surface to maximise grip.

Entry level cheap single lower front and rear control arms:

Premium expensive unequal length lower and upper control arms in front and rear suspension respectively:

Old 02-23-17, 03:28 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Jill,

The thing is, another leader in the luxury space is providing a lot of choices that Lexus is not.

Rich folks love choices and will go with the vendor who gives them what they want.
Old 02-23-17, 05:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's just a difference between Toyotas mentality and the mentality of a company like Mercedes or BMW. Lexus is never going to offer as many niche models as they do, it's just against their business philosophy.
Old 02-23-17, 05:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

Rich folks love choices and will go with the vendor who gives them what they want.
The new LC500 and LS500 are going to offer this.
Old 02-23-17, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If it was true that "rich folks love choices" then I would question how Lexus has done so well over time lol.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?